Author Topic: I really hope this isn't a valid use for the spell...  (Read 3923 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
I really hope this isn't a valid use for the spell...
« on: January 01, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
Alright, play that Druid Variant where they get one Turn Attempt, so that they can grab DMM: Any.

Now read this spell:

Bone Talisman
Necromancy
Level: Druid 2
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: Bone touched
Duration: 10 minutes/level or until discharged
Saving Throw: None (object)
Spell Resistance: No (object)

You channel divine power and life energy into a bone from an animal or humanoid, giving it limited power against undead. Once cast, it may be used for two purposes (decided at the time of casting).

Bone of Turning: You or another druid may present the bone in the manner of a holy symbol and use it to turn undead. The effective turning level is equal to your caster level. All normal turning effects apply. For example, if your turning level is twice the Hit Dice of the turned undead, they are destroyed instead of turned. After one turn attempt, the bone talisman loses its power (but you can cast the spell on it again).

Bone Weapon: The bone is treated as a weapon that deals +1d6 damage to undead creatures, similar to but weaker than an undead bane effect. The bone is treated as a simple weapon appropriate to its shape, such as dagger or dart (small and sharp), club (if large and blunt), or spear (if small and sharp and fastened to a haft) and deals normal damage for its type. The spell does not grant proficiency in the weapon. The spell is not discharged when the weapon hits and this aspect of the spell lasts until the full duration (10 minutes/level) expires.

The spell has no effect if you cast it on a bone taken from an undead creature. The bone must be at least 8 inches long and may be straight or curved; normally bones from the arm, leg, or ribs are used. You may carve, drill, or otherwise shape the bone before or after the spell is cast; the spell functions as long as the bone remains bone (not turned to wood or metal, for example).

Does the underlined section mean that the spell gives you a Turn Attempt. This Chained and Reached would be scary... If and only if you get actual Turn Attempts.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: I really hope this isn't a valid use for the spell...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:19:36 PM »
I don't think you get a real DMMorwhatever-able turn attempt.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 09:56:10 PM »
i think all it does is give you a holy symbol equivalent
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
I'm thankful for that, because we don't need our good friends the Druids getting into DMM cheese any more than they already can, or for that matter Archivists...

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »
Yes, you can only use it to turn undead.  You can't use it for divine feats.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 11:18:08 PM »
Does Wild Reaper only give one turn attempt, or were you thinking of another variant?

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 12:03:33 AM »
I'm thinking the Domain Druid variant from Unearthed Arcana.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 12:37:32 AM »
I'm thinking the Domain Druid variant from Unearthed Arcana.
Wild Reaper is pretty much superior if you don't care about...Plant Wild Shape, is it? I don't have that issue of Dragon; I'm just going by Kell's recommendation.