Author Topic: Artificer Build - 1,000,000 gp by 10th lvl  (Read 7374 times)

krusk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Artificer Build - 1,000,000 gp by 10th lvl
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 07:49:32 PM »
Even the most leniant of DM's are sometimes leery of Dragon Magazine, famous for substantial amounts of poorly thought out material. Unearthed Arcana gets included more commonly but really amounts to a bunch of someone elses house rules, and BoED sometimes gets left out by virtue of the fact that it includes characters that likely don't exist in a violent D&D world.

I have heard of DMs not liking Dragon Magazine content and somewhat less than that not liking Unearthed Arcana, though I haven't played with any, but all the material I used was official content. If a DM doesn't allow it, that's a house rule. All I'm concerned with is what is possible by a strict interpretation of the rules.
I was going to make this same comment. Unearthed arcana is literally a book of optional house rules, and dragon is a (mostly) WoTC sanctioned 3rd party supplement. If arguing that it is going to get past strict DMs, using 3rd party books and common house rules isn't really the way to go.

Also, Artificers are eberron, but you mention how you use nothing but FR supplements. If you are trying to make this work with picky DMs, you might have a hard time swinging the class in the eberron handbook in their FR set game.

Lastly, my infinite wealth character at first level is a warforged commoner with skill focus (Profession [well digger]). He then digs wells for the rest of time. He stops digging wells the day someone hires him to go adventure, and has been digging for X years. X = amount of time for me to make a billion gold. My PC starts the game with (1,000,000,000 + Starting gold - Price of a shovel) Gold pieces.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »
Why even bother with a shovel when you have an arbitrary amount of time?

krusk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
Sorry, masterwork shovel. For the +2 bonus to well digging of course.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
You might as well let the other players in on the deal. 

Despite the grossly misleading title and introduction, the character appears to be a straight-classed wizard, with no levels in the artificer class. 

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the only thing that talks about it at all. 

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »
Since this is related...:dons flame resistant cape and wizard hate.:

Is there any rules text anywhere that explicitly says whether crafted items count against wealth by level by their market price or by the crafting price?

Again, I'm looking for 100% explicit rules text that conclusively states the answer, either way.

No, there isn't any text that explicitly states what you're asking for either way, because wealth by level doesn't work the way you apparently think it does.

The WBL table only lists the average wealth the PCs are expected to have at a given level based on what they would acquire from encounters up to that level. This means that while purchased items would be purchased at their market price (just as if you had purchased them with the money you found or found them directly), self-crafted items would be purchased at their crafted price (as if you crafted the item with the money you found).

Further, the WBL table is not rules-text stating that you can never have more (or less!) wealth than the listed amount at any given level. It is very likely you will have a different amount based on random treasure distribution, rewards that are not accounted for in the treasure tables themselves (such as money NPCs award you, if the DM didn't incorporate that into the encounter's treasure directly), and PC activities that generate wealth outside of found treasure, such as spells that generate valuable goods (wall of salt, etc) or using skills to earn money (Craft, Perform, Profession, etc).
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 04:28:45 PM »
Hey, Wanna buy some salt?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out