Author Topic: Underpowered Mundanes or Overpowered Magic - Which is worse?  (Read 122126 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Underpowered Mundanes or Overpowered Magic - Which is worse?
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2011, 02:55:03 PM »
Hi Welcome

We've already addressed this, I was here before you.

Deal with it.

And you think I can't build good encounters? Bitch please. Why don't you go say that to someone that's actually played with me as the MC, hear the peals of laughter at your expense. Fact of the matter is even good encounters can be > 99%ed. It just requires IP proofing measures.

I do not think you can deal good encounters. I think you couldn't be capable of building memorable or exciting encounters either because you are in such infatuation with math that the you'll just keep looking at numbers rather than the thematic elements of building any encounter.

Sunic, I could build a better encounter than you. This right here is a challenge. I'd love for you to take me up on it. Have a third member give us a sample group of four players and have us construct an encounter.

I'll build a better one because I understand the literary & thematic elements and how they work in conjunction with the mechanical aspects of of Dungeons and Dragons better than you.

Oh no he didn't
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »
This can only end in hilarity.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »

Indeed.  :sherlock

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
Well, after 4 of my posts, you still seem to disregard my point, so I'll make it more clear:

My point is that I don't think encounters should be turn overs, PCs should have to think, and adjust.

I don't think level appropriate encounters (however they are defined, I think the strong side of D&D is the CR system, but you might have other options for it), should be a push-over, I don't think you should have 100% succes rate, Because I simply don't agree with your sentiment that if you do not succeed, all of you dies.
Yeah, if you mess up, you might die, but there are still things to get you away from there. And there's things to protect yourself until you can hide. And there are tons of other useful things you can do if you are about to die, like run away. In Ad&d players did this on low levels all the time.

The problem with 20% of resource you keep referring to is that Tier 1 classes really don't use 20% of their resources. Tier 2 Classes rarely do either.

Then you buff 3s and 4s so they can help more. Problem solved. By your own logic, the very Tome you try and dismiss is the solution to your problem.
Yes! Making everyone in the party able to handle the encounters on themselves will surely solve the problem, however that will screw over the CR system, which means you'll have to re-work all the monsters, and then you might as well just start over and make a new game.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2011, 03:08:44 PM »

I think I'll make popcorn, who wants some?

Jokes aside, perhaps this could revive The Arena.
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #185 on: January 05, 2011, 03:10:16 PM »

I think I'll make popcorn, who wants some?

Jokes aside, perhaps this could revive The Arena.

Seems like an interesting turn, making encounters that end adventurers instead of adventurers that end encounters. Who wants to set the rules?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
Well, after 4 of my posts, you still seem to disregard my point, so I'll make it more clear:
then why are you still trying?  I've figured out that just ignoring him makes him go away quicker.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »
I'll help myself to some popcorn.
Either way this turns out, someone will learn something.
If it's Dark_Samurai, Sunic_Flames, Me, you or your grandma or any combination of the previous, this will prove both entertaining and enlightening.

Btw: I'm impressed at the guy that take so high notes in that song and make it sound good. Sure, it still has nothing on this, but still.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #188 on: January 05, 2011, 03:19:09 PM »
I'll help myself to some popcorn.
Either way this turns out, someone will learn something.
If it's Dark_Samurai, Sunic_Flames, Me, you or your grandma or any combination of the previous, this will prove both entertaining and enlightening.

Btw: I'm impressed at the guy that take so high notes in that song and make it sound good. Sure, it still has nothing on this, but still.

I find that he's mostly falsetto'ing.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Senevri

• Donkey Kong
    • Art and Depression
« Reply #189 on: January 05, 2011, 03:20:37 PM »
Huh. 8 nine replies since I started writing this, so scratch;

But, combined with the encounter tweak thread, it is definitely an interesting idea.
Back in 339, there was this thread called 'overpowered casters'; Full casters trying to solo equal-CR encounters, with the logic  that if they truly can handle appropriate challenges solo, they are overpowered. They failed, surprisingly much.

But, I find this idea of optimized encounters a rather neat. Or rather, if Sunic could just do a write-up of one of those tier 5-6 destroying encounters, that'd be cool, too.

What I was initially writing was:
Quote from: it's-a-me!
I guess it also depends on what refers to as a chance of success; If you're hit with a save-or-die once per encounter, with a DC you only fail on a natural 1, you probably won't live past second level.

Mm... I guess it's a difference between success and need to retry vs. success and the end of character.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #190 on: January 05, 2011, 03:58:20 PM »
We've already addressed this, I was here before you.

Deal with it.

Obvious Straw Man is Obvious.

I do not think you can deal good encounters. I think you couldn't be capable of building memorable or exciting encounters either because you are in such infatuation with math that the you'll just keep looking at numbers rather than the thematic elements of building any encounter.

Thou art a fool. Also, Stormwind.

Sunic, I could build a better encounter than you. This right here is a challenge. I'd love for you to take me up on it. Have a third member give us a sample group of four players and have us construct an encounter.

I'll build a better one because I understand the literary & thematic elements and how they work in conjunction with the mechanical aspects of of Dungeons and Dragons better than you.

Says the clown who only plays low levels, who can't tell the difference between subjective and objective, who has admitted to fuck you houserules against his players, has invoked Stormwind (while claiming to understand fluff and crunch working together), and is saying all of those things and more to the exact worst person he could possibly say such things to.

But ok clown. I'll make some new encounters (since I don't want to spoil the ones I've already made) because I'm always happy to beat gimps into the ground, and you're the Monk of the D&D technical expertise world. And I'm not the only one to realize this, as the replied indicate.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »

My point is that I don't think encounters should be turn overs, PCs should have to think, and adjust.

Hi Welcome

You are not Elennsar (I hope) so do at least pretend you understand Iterative Probability.

I don't think level appropriate encounters (however they are defined, I think the strong side of D&D is the CR system, but you might have other options for it), should be a push-over, I don't think you should have 100% succes rate, Because I simply don't agree with your sentiment that if you do not succeed, all of you dies.
Yeah, if you mess up, you might die, but there are still things to get you away from there. And there's things to protect yourself until you can hide. And there are tons of other useful things you can do if you are about to die, like run away. In Ad&d players did this on low levels all the time.

Lol. CR is mostly inaccurate, so it's only useful as a vague tool of "Ok, you guys are 6 now, so the boss is a Mind Flayer." And there is no getting away from there. You cannot run from fights without teleport, and it doesn't always work even then. Of course first you have to get to the levels where you can teleport, and since you have a coin toss chance to be dead at 6 even with a 99% success rate, and Teleport is 9 you fail. Also it's RLT. So what actually happens is one round goes by, everyone gets the fuck beat out of them, and realizes they might need to GTFO. But they can't, so they either fight anyways and win or fight anyways and die.

The problem with 20% of resource you keep referring to is that Tier 1 classes really don't use 20% of their resources. Tier 2 Classes rarely do either.

20% of resources is fucked anyways. For example, is that 20% of the beatstick's HP before, or after counting healing spells and if the latter, how many? It makes a significant difference between "trivial, and in no way anywhere near 20% resources" to "Hey, that fucker just took 3 times his max HP in damage, and even if he has a personal healbot, he can't be healed fast enough to save him before he dies."

Then you buff 3s and 4s so they can help more. Problem solved. By your own logic, the very Tome you try and dismiss is the solution to your problem.
Yes! Making everyone in the party able to handle the encounters on themselves will surely solve the problem, however that will screw over the CR system, which means you'll have to re-work all the monsters, and then you might as well just start over and make a new game.
[/quote]

*facepalms*

And will someone tell me what tier 5-6s destroying encounters has anything to do with anything? I think it's just more Paizil strawmen, but I have to make sure.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
Stay tuned to this thread for more lessons on how to beat a bad meme further into the ground.

Oh, and some stuff about encounters.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #193 on: January 05, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
Stay tuned to this thread for more lessons on how to beat a bad meme further into the ground.

Oh, and some stuff about encounters.

Which one of them?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2011, 04:58:16 PM »
okay, we've now degraded in to this
 :lmao

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
A failure doesn't mean that a person dies, not until there are actual save or dies at least. A beat stick might get knocked down to -3 while barbarian shocktroopers the thing to oblivion or the fighter bull rushes it off a cliff or intimidate locks it.

It might though.

As for running a way you can use wall spells, grease, silent image or even some mundane things like marbles or tangle foot  bags to cover an escape route.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »
okay, we've now degraded in to this
 :lmao
The message for attempting to view the site from the UK or Ireland was funny at least.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2011, 05:59:24 PM »
@wotmaniac: I was sorta expecting the successful troll at this point. :P

But, seriously, I'm interested in what Sunic - or anyone else interested - comes up with, for the encounters.
oops -- my bad :p

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »
A failure doesn't mean that a person dies, not until there are actual save or dies at least. A beat stick might get knocked down to -3 while barbarian shocktroopers the thing to oblivion or the fighter bull rushes it off a cliff or intimidate locks it.

It might though.

As for running a way you can use wall spells, grease, silent image or even some mundane things like marbles or tangle foot  bags to cover an escape route.

Except that the window between fine and dead is... 11 points. Which is one hit at level 1, and only goes down from there. In any case, 99% success or whatever is counting that.

Also, walls of the non force variety only slow enemies for a round, if that. Except it took you a round to throw them up. I am also curious as to how the beatsticks are doing those things while at -3 and unconscious. Nevermind the whole laughability of a conveniently placed cliff. Or a Cha 15 Fighter.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]