Author Topic: Should Spell Resistance be made to stack with itself?  (Read 10002 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Should Spell Resistance be made to stack with itself?
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:12:48 AM »
SR is broken. It doesn't work as intended. It both does not stop "SR: Yes" spells, and is actually a detrimental rather than useful quality.

I'm assuming its own weakness has been fixed, ie. choosing to override your own SR for only an instant anytime you feel like it, without wasting actions. Now don't  :banghead when the party cleric can't beat your SR to heal you.

Furthermore without a high CL (the irony abounds), SR is damn near impossible to get to CL39 pre-epic. Alas a simple red wizard, a full caster with a few items, or even a freaking gish with the right spells or feats makes the check trivial.

The first step to help out this poor mechanic is to let it stack with itself. PC SR is more rare than dodge bonuses after all. I appreciate reasons for "No"s and how far you would think to help SR in the case of a "Yes."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:18:23 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Should Spell Resistance be made to stack with itself?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 05:21:05 AM »
If it stacks, it's fairly easy to get a stupidhigh SR with a couple templates.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 05:28:36 AM »
I'm listening on the templates. Also I'm curious what "stupid high" is. Last I checked it was fairly low opportunity cost to beat an SR of 80, without any of the big guns.
[Spoiler]
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:24:41 AM »
I say keep SR as is.  This allows those who want to play evokers, actually do it without adding another hurdle.  It's already hard enough to justify anything that's not a conjurer or transmuter.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:51:20 AM »
Most of the good things don't bother with SR anyway. Allowing SR to stack only nerfs some mediocre-ish stuff that can't ignore it.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:45:03 AM »
I'd throw it out and replace it with globe of invulnerability type effects, or something that reduces caster level. The latter works better if spell DCs are changed to the standard (10 + half level + ability mod) formula.

EDIT:
Maybe SR14 reduces the level of a spell by 1 and its CL by 2, before the save DC is calculated. Every additional point of SR increases the CL reduction by 1, and if it's an even number reduces the spell level by 1 (SR13 is just -1CL, SR15 = -3CL/-1LV, SR16 = -4CL/-2LV). If a spell ever passes below CL1 or lv0 it is negated. Evocation spells ignore 1 point of CL loss, since they are closer to raw energy to begin with.

And you can lower it as a free action of course.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:58:39 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »
I think the Tome does this by taking the highest SR, dividing any others by 3 (rounded down) and then adding them together.

And Evocations should just fucking be SR: No.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:08:21 AM »
I like Primes idea better than just allowing it to stack.

If you could stack it, A lot of templates would get a lot better at least.

Oh, and I consider an SR of 40 at level 10 to be pretty high. Since at that level you need at least 2 spells to penetrate it, unless you are focused on it, and forcing your opponents to use two rounds of buffing is pretty worthwhile.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Arkzein

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »
It already does! You know, if you're a Forsaker.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »
Would a less labor intensive way of doing the stuff that Prime suggests be something akin to energy resist? Something like where you would knock X points off any damage caused by a spell or maybe get s bonus to save vs non-damage dealing spells or even a save vs effects that don't usually allow them. That seems to be, in effect, what the caster level etc penalty amounts to.

Although I don't know how this would affect the game in general with all the SR related items and abilities.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 05:59:52 PM »
I'd say the first step in fixing it is having it be a non-action to lower and raise it for recieving beneficial spells (or any other spell that you for some reason wish to have).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 06:23:38 PM »
My proposed fix for SR:

Every 4 points of SR gives you +1 to saves vs spells, +1 deflection AC vs spells, and +Energy Resist 1 per damage die from spells.

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 08:20:45 PM »
I support the SR acting as a reduction effect agaisnt magic. Whether is it like globe of invulnerability like Prime32 suggested or the way Nytemare3701  suggested.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 08:48:31 PM »
Prime's method and other more calculation-intensive overhauls aren't bad, they just make work and don't solve things like maze.

It already does! You know, if you're a Forsaker.
I purposely didn't mention forsaker. I thought about adding something like the only way to get SR past 50 is by destroying all your magic items to that CL irony line. I thought it best to not say anything about it so more people would stay on topic.

Globe of invulnerability is actually more powerful than SR at low levels. Where should the tiers lay? SR5 ignores cantrips and orisons, SR10 ignores 1st level spells, SR90 ignoring 9th level spells? I'm fairly sure SR60 isn't possible RAW without CL-based SR, so it might be an okay fix in addition to SR stacking...
[Spoiler]
[/Spoiler]

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »
I'm listening on the templates. Also I'm curious what "stupid high" is. Last I checked it was fairly low opportunity cost to beat an SR of 80, without any of the big guns.
I'm curious on this. How do you beat SR 80 without "any of the big guns?" What does it go up to with the "big guns?" Best I can think up is Circle Magic (CL 40) + Assay Spell Resistance (+10) + True Casting (+10), which is only a +60 on your check, so you'd still need to roll a 20 to beat SR 80 and isn't exactly "low opportunity cost." Or Greater Consumptive Field, but no sane DM is going to allow that.

I'd say the first step in fixing it is having it be a non-action to lower and raise it for recieving beneficial spells (or any other spell that you for some reason wish to have).
+1

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 11:34:25 PM »
I preferred 2nd Edition's spell resistance where you ignored a certain percentage of spells thrown at you. For example if you had SR:20 that meant you had a 20% chance of ignoring any particular spell.

I also think you should have the option of lowering SR as a free or swift action for a round so you can be buffed and healed without worry.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 02:00:03 AM »
I'd say if you're going to stack it without changing the system, and want a faster calculation method, start with the creature's highest source of SR and then all other sources are treated as 10 lower before stacking, since they all include the "+10 to account for average rolls" bonus. Not a cumulative 10 lower, of course. But, I dunno exactly. I'd probably want to work on something else entirely, but that's a lot of work.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 02:21:54 AM »
I'd say if you're going to stack it without changing the system, and want a faster calculation method, start with the creature's highest source of SR and then all other sources are treated as 10 lower before stacking, since they all include the "+10 to account for average rolls" bonus. Not a cumulative 10 lower, of course. But, I dunno exactly. I'd probably want to work on something else entirely, but that's a lot of work.
Frank and K reverse-engineered a mechanism for stacking multiple sources of SR. You designate the highest source as primary, then add amounts to it based on your secondary sources:

If the source is less than 6 + your CR, you add +1.
If it's 6 + CR or more but less than 11 + CR, add +2.
If it falls between 11 + CR and 15 + CR, add +3.
If it's 16 + CR or more, add +4.

So basically, each secondary source adds (SR-CR)/5, rounded up, maximum 4.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 05:02:18 AM »
Circle Magic (CL 40) + Assay Spell Resistance (+10) + True Casting (+10)

Don't forget spell vulnerability (Spell Compendium 200). 

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »
I'm curious on this. How do you beat SR 80 without "any of the big guns?" What does it go up to with the "big guns?" Best I can think up is Circle Magic (CL 40) + Assay Spell Resistance (+10) + True Casting (+10), which is only a +60 on your check, so you'd still need to roll a 20 to beat SR 80 and isn't exactly "low opportunity cost." Or Greater Consumptive Field, but no sane DM is going to allow that.
Orb of Acid, Lesser.