Author Topic: Fun with Alternative Source Spell  (Read 8284 times)

bearofsmiting

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Fun with Alternative Source Spell
« on: December 20, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »
So I'm building a 20th level character who can basically cast both divine and arcane spells: (some arcane caster)10/ApostleofPeace2/MysticTheurge8. My idea for the character is that he hunts down the great evils of the world and seals them away. I'm giving him the feat Alternative Source Spell feat which allows him to change the nature of his spells from arcane to divine and vice versa.

By 20th level, he'll be able to cast 9th level arcane and divine spells, but I don't know what I want his classes to be on the arcane side. Also, I can't think what, but I'm sure there could be some excellent cheesiness with the Alternative Source Spell feat. I'm asking for your sage advice all you wizards out there; what would be some good classes for this character and what could be some ways to manipulate this alternative source ability.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Fun with Alternative Source Spell
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
Divine Metamagic comes to mind, and that's hardly the only powerful option.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

jeffrie

• nondescript young man over there for hire.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:16:11 PM »
Well, you can cast in full plate with no penalty.

And you can hide/disguise your true powers, maybe sometimes. ..
"That's one for the good guys.
Current score: Evil 923,472,810, Good 1."

-Kuroimaken

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:17:04 PM »
Not with Apostle of Peace you can't.  Not only can they explicitly not cast in any armor, but they have Vow of Poverty as a prerequisite, so intentionally wearing any armor kills their class features permanently by removing the feat (and also the Mystic Theurge advancement to the arcane side of this build, since he loses the divine spellcasting prerequisite).

As for what to use for the arcane side, part of me leans toward Beguiler, since they have the Whelm line (which deals nonlethal damage), the Hold, Charm, and Dominate lines (which remove people from combat or make them your friends without hurting them), and lots of illusions to confuse or disable enemies.  On the other hand, a Wizard or Sorcerer can do those things (maybe not all of them, in the Sorcerer's case, but any of them) and still have ways to deal with constructs and undead (and maybe even plants, oozes, and vermin, if you get creative).

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:12:46 AM »
where is that spell found, please?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 02:03:49 PM »
Not with Apostle of Peace you can't.  Not only can they explicitly not cast in any armor, but they have Vow of Poverty as a prerequisite, so intentionally wearing any armor kills their class features permanently by removing the feat (and also the Mystic Theurge advancement to the arcane side of this build, since he loses the divine spellcasting prerequisite).

Minor Nit-Pick. But you do not loose the feat "Vow of Poverty" if you own or use items etc.. you loose the benefit of the feat (all the bonus exalted feats and host of immunities and so on VoP gives). So a Apostle of Peace who uses items would not loose his class features since he still posses the feat, but he would loose all the things VoP gives.

Had a Gestalt Artificer / Apostle of Peace in our old group. Had a magic sleigh and a bag of holding filled with magic toys.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

jeffrie

• nondescript young man over there for hire.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 03:55:39 PM »
It's not a spell, it's a feat. It's from Dragon 325
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Alternative_Source_Spell

Let me know if that link doesn't work.
"That's one for the good guys.
Current score: Evil 923,472,810, Good 1."

-Kuroimaken

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 05:15:22 PM »
Something important to bear in mind is that Alternative Source Spell is technically metamagic even though it has no spell-level adjustment. A spontaneous caster will have to cast Alternative Source Spells as full-round actions.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 03:19:24 AM »
It's not a spell, it's a feat. It's from Dragon 325
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Alternative_Source_Spell

Let me know if that link doesn't work.

thanks
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »
Something important to bear in mind is that Alternative Source Spell is technically metamagic even though it has no spell-level adjustment. A spontaneous caster will have to cast Alternative Source Spells as full-round actions.

It also means if you fire up an arcane thesis spell, this will drop to a -1 to help offset other metamagic's.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 07:23:14 PM »
Note that the official sage answer is that southern magician doesn't let you qualify for divine/arcane prcs.  Dunno how that works with ASS, though.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 03:27:41 AM »
Note that the official sage answer is that southern magician doesn't let you qualify for divine/arcane prcs.  Dunno how that works with ASS, though.

Southern magician specifically states the source of the spell does not change, just how it is treated.  ASS (I just had to use your abbreviation) lacks this wording, but I am sure he would end up ruling the same way. 

I find SAGE rulings are usually not fun, helpful, and end up giving a half answer in some cases.  I love the ones that start out saying "The sage would suggest..." without giving a definative ruling.  Even better is when the stuff shows up in the FAQ, only to be later rewritten or removed without any note of the change.