Author Topic: Mundane answers to time stop?  (Read 11848 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Mundane answers to time stop?
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:43:44 AM »
Are there any?

The character in question is a level 20 gestalt, but it is entirely mundane, since it has 10 levels of Forsaker.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Re: Mundane answers to time stop?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:05:13 AM »
It's hard to find any answer to Timestop. The only thing that comes to mind is immediate actions, and the only way I know for mundanes to get any is Tome of Battle.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 03:13:47 AM »
Except you would need to take an action. The only way to do that would be Eternal Blade. You could take ranks in spellcraft and identify the spell that the wizard is casting, when he is about to cast time stop or any other instant death spell activate island in time then move up to him and use white raven hammer on him to stun him for a round, no save, so he loses that spell. Then try to kill him quickly or stun lock him using maneuvers.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 03:21:59 AM »
To use an immediate action all you need is to be not flat-footed. If your mundane chances are you've already got one level of Barbarian to get pounce, add another and you can have uncanny dodge. I don't think Iron Heart Surge will stop a Time Stop directly since it speeds up the caster, it doesn't affect you. You do have an opportunity though to use a maneuver, maybe you can interrupt the casting of Timestop with an attack.

Inb4 Schrodinger's Wizard.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:28:09 AM by juton »

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 03:24:09 AM »

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 03:38:45 AM »
You have to stop him from casting it.  Once it's cast, game over.  IIRC there's a feat that helps specifically with Time Stop, but failing that... Mage Slayer, and some way to actually stay near.

JaronK

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 03:39:29 AM »
To use an immediate action all you need is to be not flat-footed. If your mundane chances are you've already got one level of Barbarian to get pounce, add another and you can have uncanny dodge.

Uncanny dodge lets you keep your dexterity bonus to AC when flat-footed.  It doesn't stop you from being flat-footed.  

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 04:40:03 AM »
Spell Stowaway: Time Stop

If you don't qualify, no luck. Try to get an immediate action to get a standard action to cast timestop yourself. In your case, you need to accomplish this with items. Don't know how.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 04:46:07 AM »
Spell Stowaway: Time Stop

If you don't qualify, no luck. Try to get an immediate action to get a standard action to cast timestop yourself. In your case, you need to accomplish this with items. Don't know how.
Immediate action + intelligent item belt of battle, maybe.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 05:01:15 AM »
A Lesser weapon of Legacy can give you immunity to being flat-footed( D Menu:Cunning). Still need an immediate action to stop them somehow.

Zaxter

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 05:29:44 AM »
He can't use magic items. He's a forsaker.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 05:46:10 AM »
He can't use magic items. He's a forsaker.
OH! He's a forsaker.

Appropriate reaction?  Bend over.

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 06:05:58 AM »
I believe the  Instantaneous_Rage , Intimidating_Rage and Imperious_Command combination should work.   If you can keep intimidating you might be able to lock down the caster.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 10:52:36 AM »
Are there any?

The character in question is a level 20 gestalt, but it is entirely mundane, since it has 10 levels of Forsaker.

Sure. Here's one.

http://www.howtodothings.com/family-relationships/how-to-give-a-blow-job

Obviously NSFW.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »
This is extremely difficult, since the timestop doesn't actually affect your character, just the caster. Thus even complete immunity to magic would not help.

Best thing I can think of: Get an allied spellcaster to place a contingent spell on you - antimagic field, greater dispel magic (used as a counterspell) and some form of teleportation all work. See if you can get a CL1 antimagic field approved (i.e. it lasts for 1 round, and doesn't cost much gp or xp).

If you're close enough, try to disrupt the casting by damaging him like any other spell.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:14:26 AM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 02:15:24 PM »
This is extremely difficult, since the timestop doesn't actually affect your character, just the caster. Thus even complete immunity to magic would not help.

Best thing I can think of: Get an allied spellcaster to place a contingent spell on you - antimagic field, greater dispel magic (used as a counterspell) and some form of teleportation all work. See if you can get a CL1 antimagic field approved (i.e. it lasts for 1 round, and doesn't cost much gp or xp).

If you're close enough, try to disrupt the casting by damaging him like any other spell.

Craft Contingent has to affect you. No counterspelling.

AMF has a duration of 10 minutes per level, and even if you somehow got it at CL 1, well that's still 10 minutes. It also doesn't stop the Time Stop. Nor does it stop all uses of death by stopped time. For example, Forcecage (explicitly not affected by AMF) + Gate (to the Plane of Fire, cast overhead) + Shapechange (into a Beholder, just to be sure) still works just fine for a nice non magical lava bath.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 02:26:28 PM »
Whyever would anyone ever want to be a Forsaker?
BG's other resident furry!

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »
Whyever would anyone ever want to be a Forsaker?

Because there are actually people in this world who think that breaking their own treasure on one of the most gear dependent characters in the game is a good idea?

You know, just like there are people out there that try and pass off objective rules as subjective, mostly because they suck too badly to actually meet the standards expected of them.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 02:52:34 PM »
I kind of like the class...not great for much mind you, but if you go the graft route for gear, I really don't see a problem with it (Oh and have a racial SR).
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress