Author Topic: Optimization for Fun?  (Read 7227 times)

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Optimization for Fun?
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »
I have a... unique optimization challenge. One that's a big big on me. And maybe a bit silly, but I'm okay with that.

A girl I love is coming over to live with me for a week (long story, and kinda irrelevant). And she really wants to see what I love to do. All of it.

So I figure, why not try and make a single, simple character for her, story and all, and use a basic, good, plot?

She's a real world dancer and a (mostly fiction) professional writer, so maybe something like a Bard / Gemini Dancer in terms of fluff? I don't really intend to make this rules-heavy, if I'll be using them at all, anyway.

What I'd like is advice, and maybe tips on a story. I have about a week, and I'm home on sick leave anyway, so I'll have some time to spare for this.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Optimization for Fun?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 05:28:20 PM »
1) Less D&D, more sex

2) See 1

3) Bard/Marshal/Sublime Chord always works.  Slippers of Battledancing + Snowflake Wardance for kicking ass while dancing away.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
Some thoughts:
  • It should be simple.  I would avoid situational or temporary bonuses.  A spellcaster would probably present too many choices at any given moment.
  • It should be interesting in combat.  I already said too many choices would be bad, but too few would also be bad.  A Tome of Battle class would probably be a good balance if you print out the maneuver cards.
  • It should be interesting out of combat.  Social skills are good.  Some movement skills wouldn't be bad.

A straight-classes swordsage seems pretty good. 

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:03:17 PM »
Ask her what she most wants to be able to do.  Work with that.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:06:05 PM »
Rogue. Nice, simple, effective.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 06:08:14 PM »
Maiden of Pain

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 06:10:09 PM »
If it's any help, my girlfriend is an actress and she likes to shoot people in the ankle with arrows, so you might be surprised what she'd like.

I'd ask.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 07:14:18 PM »
Perform (Dance) is ... a little obvious.

The Jump-lomancer isn't gonna be something she knows about at all.
That's fantasy alright.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
Ask her what she most wants to be able to do.  Work with that.

This.

I'm thinking you should probably use some kind of (relatively) straightforward setup that blends two things into more than either of them could do alone.  Maybe a daring outlaw or swift hunter build if she's into that kind of thing, a tashalatora psywar, or possibly a paladin/sorcerer/spellsword/abjurant champion/sacred exorcist if she favors a mystic knight type.  You know, something that's not so hardcore that she's going to get bogged down in the numbers when you break out knuth's up-arrow notation (no warhulking hurlers), but which you can point to and easily show how it can accomplish tasks that its component parts can't.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 07:23:34 PM »
A straight barbarian and show her what extend rage can really do...

wow that's terrible
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 07:25:28 PM »
 :drums ... y'know your Wisdom goes down when you Rage ...  :eh

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 07:33:59 PM »
That's why you need Steadfast Determination to keep your wits about you. Then when you're done...

... iron heart surge
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 07:58:32 PM »
Rage doesn't lower your Wis...

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »
Rage doesn't lower your Wis...
But it does lower your armour class.

Actually why would you want to play anything in a roleplaying game that you can already do in the real world.

I have a friend who's a preacher, and she usually plays an Elven Ranger who likes shooting innocents. I study medicine, but if people ask me to heal them in Dungeons and Dragons I usually ignore them.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »
Agreement w/ the above re:  ask her what she wants to play.  I have a practical career in making fairly simple, but optimized builds for some of my friends, including the woman I love.  And, this is for troupe play w/ varying levels of optimization, so I usually have to find a build that is fun and simple but still keeps up w/ a solid level of optimization.

You might think on a standard set of fantasy archetypes.  Since you guys seem to have at least a fair bit in common (assumption based on her willingness to come over and see you for a week), I would at least assume she's familiar w/ some basic fantasy stuff, like LotR.  So, just be prepared to stat out an Aragorn or Legolas or something, or maybe even a pirate character (side note:  swashbuckling and pirate settings are often great ways to introduce people to the genre).  I wouldn't give her an army of classes or anything b/c that is daunting. 

Also, warlocks are great faux spellcasters. 

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 08:42:28 PM »
You could give her a warlock at first, then a warmage/rainbow servant, and see how she copes with optimization whiplash.  Could be important info if this goes long term...
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 11:27:31 PM »
If she likes cats, then I actually statted out an awakened cat eldritch theurge...

Awakened Cat
Cat 2/Sorcerer 1/Warlock 4/Eldrich Disciple 10/Hellfire Warlock 3
3) Precocious Apprentice (Sorcerer)
6) Practiced Spellcaster (Warlock)
9) Practiced Spellcaster (Sorcerer)
12) Extra Invocation
15) Extra Invocation
18) Extra Invocation

Invocations: Call of the Beast, Beguiling Influence, Spiderwalk, Devil's Sight, Ignore the Pyre, Humanoid Shape, Witchwood Step, Charm, Walk Unseen, Hindering Blast, Penetrating Blast, Devour Magic, Impenetrable Barrier

Not 100% legal, Humanoid Shape is a Dragonfire Adept invocation, so you need to use a different feat than Extra Invocation.  Name and source eludes me at this moment.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:42:55 PM by X-Codes »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 11:47:15 PM »
Snowflake Wardance + Dervish Dance?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »
Check out Oakspar's Lessons from DMing with my GF.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 02:11:05 AM »
Thanks, guys. I'll see what I can do. I need ideas for a good, simple, one-shot, solo story, though.

I'll ask her what she'd like, and I'll work with that, I guess...
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.