Author Topic: CrystalKeep has been deleted  (Read 49002 times)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: CrystalKeep has been deleted
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »
I can't help but wonder if while you guys are arguing the legality of downloading WotC books torrents of said files didn't see a spike in use...
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
If it did, it wasn't me. I don't download torrents, period.

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2010, 03:00:51 AM »
/sigh

You have to look at the big picture, and consider that the majority of this is a matter of the law's steadfast refusal to change and adapt to the times.

Consider:
Copyright law was originally created to protect the small, independent creative person from the big, scary, large group of singular individuals that would take his creation and use it as their own for whatever ends they might see fit.  Since the laws can't apply to some and not others, this law applies to everyone.  That includes large powerful corporations that it was, most assuredly, originally conceived to protect people from

Consider:
WotC is a large corporation that owns the rights to a very popular piece of intellectual property.
Do they care about taking that property and turning it into something in line with it's creators vision?  No.
Do they care about molding it or shaping it into the most perfect, visionary, amazing system ever seen?  No.
Do they care about doing what is best for the property, such as willingly putting it in the hands of someone who does want to do these things?  No.
Do they care about the intellectual property at all?  No.
All they care about is making a bunch of fucking money.

Most importantly... do they care what you think about them?
No.
Because you will buy their product anyway, no matter what you think.
Because if you obtain it without buying it it's copyright infringement, and they will sue you.

The idea of downloading older books that WotC no longer supports doesn't work because they still own the rights to make their money off that property.
It's the "potential market" clause that Maat tried to point out.

The act of downloading an electronic reproduction of something is considered the same as if you had reproduced an exact physical copy of it.
All they have to do is drag you in front of a judge and say, "Well we were planning on re-releasing these books at some point and now due to his unlawful reproduction of our property we are unable to profit from it."

And then it's game over.

Even you turn to their lawyer and say, "Orly?  You were really, truly, planning that?  Swear to it?  In a court of law?", that lawyer could just shrug and say, "Whether we were, or weren't, or could have might possibly maybe potentially would will have been might be maybe was something we were or were not planning at some time in the future, now because of your unlawful actions we won't be able to.  Give us your money to make up for it."

That's pretty much it.  They can do whatever they want with their property, for no other reason than the law is on their side.

As long as it will make them some money, they'll do it.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2010, 03:37:39 AM »
No, they won't Tony. This is why I have a clause in all my games that if I don't have the books, you can't use it. That is also why I don't use Dragon mag stuff.

WotC can go suck Wizkid's cock. Neither are getting anything from me again. Ever.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2010, 03:43:43 AM »
All they care about is making a bunch of fucking money.

Most importantly... do they care what you think about them?
No.
Because you will buy their product anyway, no matter what you think.
Because if you obtain it without buying it it's copyright infringement, and they will sue you.

They also care about company image.  This is why while they CAN sue you, they are unlikely to unless you are doing something large scale and refuse to stop after a cease and desist letter. :)

Otherwise a LOT of D&D players would be taken to court already.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2010, 03:44:33 AM »
You have to look at the big picture, and consider that the majority of this is a matter of the law's steadfast refusal determination to change and adapt to the times highest bidder.
FTFY
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2010, 03:46:59 AM »
You have to look at the big picture, and consider that the majority of this is a matter of the law's steadfast refusal determination to change and adapt to the times highest bidder.
FTFY
Just saying. Vote with your wallet.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »
I say we pool funds and buy the rights to 3.X. The Devs can have what's in 4E, Paizo can have Pathfinder, and we can do whatever we want to 3.X.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #148 on: December 27, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
I say we pool funds and buy the rights to 3.X. The Devs can have what's in 4E, Paizo can have Pathfinder, and we can do whatever we want to 3.X.
I'd rather just make a better system.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2010, 06:01:56 AM »
define better.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2010, 06:06:01 AM »
define better.
A computer programme that will be able to do exactly what each DM and player on the planet will want it to do instantly and without prompting. And hopefully one that will not pull a Skynet on us.

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2010, 06:10:58 AM »
define better.
A computer programme that will be able to do exactly what each DM and player on the planet will want it to do instantly and without prompting. And hopefully one that will not pull a Skynet on us.
As far as I know, the closest thing we have to that is Wolfram Alpha
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2010, 09:56:13 AM »
define better.

Additional functionality for this topic is under development...
:ahem
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »
define better.

Additional functionality for this topic is under development...
:ahem
And then take into account that it can tell you what company built Titanic and my friend just typed in the ingredients he had used for his bread there and it told him the density of it

Edit: It can apparently tell you the amount of survivors from Titanic as well, sorted by what class they travelled in or if they were crew-members
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:38:40 AM by Monotremeancer »
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »

I'd actually be totally down with that if I had more than a couple hundred bucks to throw around or if we got a LOT more people interested.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2010, 09:21:14 PM »
define better.
Something with fewer abstract concepts like HP and Experience.  Something with a power curve that doesn't completely invalidate 1/2 the party by level 7.  Something with generally better melee combat mechanics.

nahemot

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
hi

is there any download link to a complete feat compilation d&d3.5? (of crystalkeep or anyone better :)

thanks

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2010, 01:18:54 PM »
hi

is there any download link to a complete feat compilation d&d3.5? (of crystalkeep or anyone better :)

thanks
http://chet.kindredcircle.org/

nahemot

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
THANKS VERY MUCH :)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »
define better.
Something with fewer abstract concepts like HP and Experience.  Something with a power curve that doesn't completely invalidate 1/2 the party by level 7.  Something with generally better melee combat mechanics.

Abstract concepts are fine, in fact essential to most games. NUMERIC abstractions, though, are often where the problems start.

Let's face it, RPGs are a matter of taste - some like simplicity, some like complexity. I'm also going to go out on the limb here and say that generally badly designed games really bring out the optimizers among us - because there are so many errors to exploit, or avoid. If everything always had a fixed cost, then the only remaining task of charop would be prioritizing and buying from the limited pool of features. As it is, in a system of many inequalities you can work around most problems by simply using another route to the desired target. And that's one of the things that keep this game alive at this point - the frustration. If it were perfect, then we would have to PLAY it all the time, and a lot of us can't actually do that to the degree they would like to. :)