Author Topic: Handbooks to Wiki Transfer Service  (Read 3690 times)

Havvy

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Handbooks to Wiki Transfer Service
« on: December 06, 2010, 05:19:10 AM »
Caveat:  I'm not sure the best place for this, so I'm placing it here.  Mods may move it if it would best be placed elsewhere.

Alright, a few weeks ago, I started a homebrew transfer service on the GITP forums to http://dnd-wiki.org/.  It is currently buried under all the other threads, but I'll revive it eventually.  Anyways, I wish to start the same thing over here, but more focused.

Your biggest asset is all the character optimization guides (a.k.a. handbooks) you have lying around.  With your individual permission, I'd like to move them over to http://dnd-wiki.org/ to increase their visibility on the web.

So, what say you handbook authors?  Will you give me permission?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:32:00 AM by Havvy »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Handbooks to Wiki Transfer Service
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:00:43 AM »
Could the source be included, i.e. a link back to BG?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Havvy

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 08:51:42 AM »
Could the source be included, i.e. a link back to BG?

Yes, most probably on the talk page.

Also, perchance, are there any handbooks that can be moved without prior permission?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:30:45 AM »
Why would you give credit and link back to the source on the talk page?  Shouldn't those be right at the top of the articles?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Havvy

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:37:52 AM »
Hmm, checking the author template, it does have a URL parameter on it.  :banghead

It is also malfunctioning.   :banghead :banghead

If I can get it fixed, I'll get the URL in the author block;

Havvy

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 01:42:14 AM »
I got TarkisFlux to fix the author template, so external linking is possible through it.

Also, your handbooks would have been accessible during the forum downtime if they were on the wiki.   ;)

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:44:57 AM »
Hey Havvy!  :D  Didn't expect you here!  I haunt this place, post rarely.  I love the handbooks here, it'll be great to have a copy on our Wikia.  :3
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 03:22:26 PM »
Why would you give credit and link back to the source on the talk page?  Shouldn't those be right at the top of the articles?
this
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 07:41:22 PM »
You have my permission to transcribe all of my works in the Handbooks section.  Just notify me before you do.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
You have my permission.  I think I'm just the primary on the Consolidated Binder Handbook and the Dread Necromancer Handbook, though.

Fadier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »
I would not mind a back-up of the Chameleon Handbook. Though it is still kinda being built...
My gift back to the CO community, the The Chameleon Handbook. Humans only.

Havvy

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 03:21:04 AM »
You have my permission to transcribe all of my works in the Handbooks section.  Just notify me before you do.

I thought this was notification.  Anyways, I'll do it as soon as you recognize this as notification.  ;)

You have my permission.  I think I'm just the primary on the Consolidated Binder Handbook and the Dread Necromancer Handbook, though.
I would not mind a back-up of the Chameleon Handbook. Though it is still kinda being built...

Wiki pages can be edited just as well (or better) than forum posts, so improvements can be ported over.  I shall start transferring them.

Why would you give credit and link back to the source on the talk page?  Shouldn't those be right at the top of the articles?

Hmm, I missed the word 'credit' in your post last time I read this.  There is the Author template, but when I wrote the OP, I forgot there was a |url= parameter.  Because of this, I was going to put the link back on the talk page, but the author template on the main page (as it usually is).  Sorry for being less clear.

Edit

I got about four pages through the consolidated binders guide (already 54,000 bytes of information!).  It is located at http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Consolidated_Binder_Handbook_%283.5e_Guide%29  The part on bloodlines I made a sidebar, and for the vestige roles by class level in the Low-level strategies I ended up making a fifth level (wiki) header instead of a fourth level header because you underline those, but not the other types in the same area, making me think they are one level lower in organization.  If this is true, I'd like to add a header above them called "Role".  If not, I'd like to know so that I can bump them back up to fourth level header.

I'd like to get formats of the guide to fit the standards of the wiki.  Basically, the short forms of ability scores should be capitalized (so "Cha" instead of "cha"), and things in all caps would be lowercased and bolded.  Also, if you want somebody to copy-edit it, I can do that too, when I'm done transferring the rest of the guides over.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 05:43:12 AM by Havvy »

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 08:34:58 PM »
Havvy: Notifiaction acknowledged.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"