Author Topic: Challenging Dragonwrought Kobolds = True Dragons  (Read 171419 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Challenging Dragonwrought Kobolds = True Dragons
« Reply #780 on: January 05, 2011, 02:17:18 PM »
Half-Dragon Monks/Druids would be a case of "specific trumps general", so I still don't see any contradictions.  There is no location discussing Frightful Presence, DR and SR that is discussing all True Dragons and not just the MM10, so we can't use those as evidence (wings are also irrelevant as most Lung dragons and Brown dragons lack them, so they're clearly not a defining characteristic).  The fact that all UATDs have these is overall irrelevant because there is no place in the rules that actually says that True Dragons must have these qualities (Kobolds have natural armor, so no issue).

And no, Beholder, I have been reading all of your posts (though skiming over your trolling).  You still haven't explained why JaronK is wrong on many points.  At absolute best, you have come up with another reading of the same rules that removes DWK's as being True Dragons (albeit using some uncommon definitions of words), but you haven't disproved the reading saying that DWK's are True Dragons.

Oh, and computer logic will always come to being True trumping Lesser because computers ALWAYS go in order, and True is defined first in the Draconomicon.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #781 on: January 05, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »
The DR & SR rules are on Pg22 sidebar Dragon Immunities. I believe you have discarded this section because under the same header it claims all true dragons have at least one energy immunity.

Frightful presence is in the same side bar under its own header. It does not call out that all true dragons have it, only giving rules for it applying and how.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #782 on: January 05, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
Half-Dragon Monks/Druids would be a case of "specific trumps general", so I still don't see any contradictions.  There is no location discussing Frightful Presence, DR and SR that is discussing all True Dragons and not just the MM10, so we can't use those as evidence (wings are also irrelevant as most Lung dragons and Brown dragons lack them, so they're clearly not a defining characteristic).  The fact that all UATDs have these is overall irrelevant because there is no place in the rules that actually says that True Dragons must have these qualities (Kobolds have natural armor, so no issue).
The goal is, apparently, to determine which definition results in the least contradictions. Therefore, we must look at all descriptions, accurate or not, and determine which definition results in the least number of contradictions. Both definitions result in contradictions with things like having wings, claws, an energy immunity, etc. However, JaronK's argument suffers from the fact that DWK's contradict the descriptions that all true dragons have DR/SR/Frightful Presence that manifest and increase with age.

The natural armor part was something I added in from memory, as I think I remember there being a description of True Dragons saying their natural armor increases with age, which DWK would also contradict.

And no, Beholder, I have been reading all of your posts (though skiming over your trolling).  You still haven't explained why JaronK is wrong on many points.  At absolute best, you have come up with another reading of the same rules that removes DWK's as being True Dragons (albeit using some uncommon definitions of words), but you haven't disproved the reading saying that DWK's are True Dragons.
And he hasn't disproven mine, either, so what's your point?

However, I have shown that my definition results in less contradictions with existing descriptions, which is apparently the actual goalpost of the argument according to JaronK.

Oh, and computer logic will always come to being True trumping Lesser because computers ALWAYS go in order, and True is defined first in the Draconomicon.
I don't see how this is pertinent information.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #783 on: January 05, 2011, 02:31:30 PM »
The DR & SR rules are on Pg22 sidebar Dragon Immunities. I believe you have discarded this section because under the same header it claims all true dragons have at least one energy immunity.
Discarding accurate descriptions based on proximity to inaccurate descriptions is not something I advocate. The best definition will contradict the least descriptions, no matter where they are located.

If we are to determine which definition is "better," since neither can be disproven, the goalpost is "which results in less contradictions."

Frightful presence is in the same side bar under its own header. It does not call out that all true dragons have it, only giving rules for it applying and how.
This is true.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #784 on: January 05, 2011, 05:15:35 PM »
This description of a True Dragon is inherently flawed and false. All dragons possess age categories. In fact, all creatures possess age categories.
Show me the age categories for a wyvern.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #785 on: January 05, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »
This description of a True Dragon is inherently flawed and false. All dragons possess age categories. In fact, all creatures possess age categories.
Young, Adult, Middle Age, Old, and Venerable

Source? The disguise skill, PHB or SRD, take your pick.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #786 on: January 05, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »

That doesn't say they have them.  After all, elementals don't have genders.
Planetouched Handbook

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #787 on: January 05, 2011, 06:04:25 PM »

It doesn't say they don't have them, either.

Is that really what you're going with?
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #788 on: January 05, 2011, 06:06:59 PM »

It doesn't say kobolds don't have true dragonhood, either.

Planetouched Handbook

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #789 on: January 05, 2011, 06:09:55 PM »

It doesn't say kobolds don't have true dragonhood, either.

It doesn't say they do, either.

Just curious, what's your source for elementals not having gender?
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #790 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
Referred to as "it".  If you prefer, I can use animated objects as my example.

Point is, just because there's a listed DC for someone to disguise themselves as having a trait, doesn't mean that everything has that trait.  
Planetouched Handbook

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #791 on: January 05, 2011, 06:16:01 PM »

Point is, just because there's a listed DC for someone to disguise themselves as having a trait, doesn't mean that everything has that trait.  
Right, it also doesn't mean they don't.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #792 on: January 05, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »
Fortunately, the default assumption in DnD is that if the rules don't say you get it, you don't get it.  If we don't make that assumption, we could just declare my animated baloney sandwich to be a true dragon.

Now, it's perfectly fine if you want to houserule in age categories for other commonly used races.  But at that point you're no longer working with the written rules.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:22:00 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #793 on: January 05, 2011, 06:18:55 PM »

Right, it also doesn't mean they don't.
So at what age do the change categories?

Honestly that is a really weak argument for a creature having age categories, which kobolds didn't until RotD.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #794 on: January 05, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »
Sure they did, they had the same age categories as every other creature.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #795 on: January 05, 2011, 06:23:42 PM »
Rules citation for this, please.
Planetouched Handbook

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #796 on: January 05, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »
Really? Because I don't see it listed. How am I supposed to know they don't live an infinite life span or die of age in 2 days like a house fly?

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #797 on: January 05, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »
Fortify seed, SRD, the end of it.

Really? Because I don't see it listed. How am I supposed to know they don't live an infinite life span or die of age in 2 days like a house fly?
You won't find one listed for many playable races. This doesn't mean they don't have age categories.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #798 on: January 05, 2011, 06:32:44 PM »
Doesn't prove anything.  Otherwise I could say "all creatures have a constitution score" with the same logic.
Planetouched Handbook

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #799 on: January 05, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
Doesn't prove anything.  Otherwise I could say "all creatures have a constitution score" with the same logic.
That the same logic that makes an animated bologna sandwich have the dragon type?

You're grasping at straws, straws that aren't necessarily important to my argument in the first place even.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]