Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (For DMs)  (Read 42683 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (For DMs)
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 07:28:27 PM »
Wait, now. Multiclassing tends to make you stronger if you're melee, yes, and single classing makes you stronger if you're a caster?

... Wouldn't that, indeed, imply single-classed characters are more likely to be able to take on the adventure?  :p
That would again depend on whether or not you had a goal in mind. Take for example a rogue/cleric. That might seem like a weak combination, but if you add in the Sacred Outlaw feat, where the two now stack, and Practiced Spellcaster to get back the CL you're missing, it just became a lot stronger. Same thing if you went with a ranger/scout with Swift Hunter, again you're balancing out. Then there's prestiging. A sorcerer/monk or a barbarian/wizard may look weak, but if you're working your way up to be an enlightened monk or rage mage, again it should balance out.

I'm thinking that the adventure was made back before all of these books and extra feats came out. So thinking about it like that, yeah it'd make you weaker. Like, I've seen a ranger 3/rogue 2/fighter 2 with a -1 to Wisdom. You're dead meat when it comes to making will saves.

What Sacred Outlaw feat?

Swift Hunter is an example of exactly what she said. The enlightened monk and rage mage... suck. Horribly. :P
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »
What Sacred Outlaw feat?

Swift Hunter is an example of exactly what she said. The enlightened monk and rage mage... suck. Horribly. :P
The one in Dragon 357. It stacks cleric and rogue together so you don't lose sneak attack or turning checks/damage.

Swift Hunter is an example of a feat that the creator of the adventure probably wasn't aware of at the time, or didn't think it would be something someone would take. As for enlightened monk and rage mage, you're entitled to your opinion about how you feel about them.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »
Q 4 I'm reading over an adventure module that actually says "The adventuring party should consist of five to seven characters that are single classed and from 13th to 15th level. Multiclass characters should have a total character class level of from 16th to 18th level." Are mutliclass characters really that weak by comparison to single class characters?
If you multiclass with a 50/50 split, yes.  I have to assume that's what they mean, since slapping three free levels of monk on any single classed build will make it marginally better
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Necrosnoop110

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 10:12:21 PM »
Q6: When people refer to the "339 boards" what are they talking about? I'm guessing they are talking about the WotC forums but have no idea why on earth they're called the 339 boards (despite being a regular on that board for years). 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »
URL used to have boards?=339 in it.  The TO board had boards?=330 in it.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Necrosnoop110

• Email
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2010, 10:17:52 PM »
URL used to have boards?=339 in it.  The TO board had boards?=330 in it.
Shows what I know. Never noticed that ever, despite daily visits for years on end. Thanks.  :D

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2010, 09:19:04 AM »
What Sacred Outlaw feat?

The one in Dragon 357. It stacks cleric and rogue together so you don't lose sneak attack or turning checks/damage.

Swift Hunter is an example of a feat that the creator of the adventure probably wasn't aware of at the time, or didn't think it would be something someone would take. As for enlightened monk and rage mage, you're entitled to your opinion about how you feel about them.

Optimizers don't have opinions. That's the whole point.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2010, 11:58:06 AM »
Q : Drows of the Underdark features a metamagic feat that allows the caster to use a dose of poison as a spell component, thus adding the poison effect to a touch attack spell.

Can it be combined with an eyeball familiar spellray ability to deliver poison as a ranged touch attack?

Necrosnoop110

• Email
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Q8: I'm looking for a 3.5 adventure that plays around with the classic trope "the heroes must guard the caravan" but was hoping to put a new twist on things. Any adventure recommendations or other suggestions? (5th level party)

Thanks,
Necky
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:52:30 PM by Necrosnoop110 »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 11:44:49 PM »
Any particular level? Or just something in general, and you'll scale it later?

Necrosnoop110

• Email
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 11:53:18 PM »
Any particular level? Or just something in general, and you'll scale it later?
I'm DMing for a large 5th party but would be willing to scale things up or down if the flavor was right. 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2011, 12:16:51 AM »
Give me a few minutes, and I'll edit this with adventures. Just going to take a bit to do up.

Random traveling encounter  http://www.traykon.com/encounter/encounter4.html

Funeral Procession, Dungeon 135 pg 18 (caravan is a hearse coach)
Final Resting, Place Dungeon 122 pg 19 ("caravan" would be going through the Underdark and back)
The Buzz on the Bridge, Dungeon 110 pg 15 (get the caravan across the bridge infested by a hive of giant bees)
Riding the Rail, Dungeon 143 pg 18 (the caravan is a moving train)
The Chasm Bridge, Dungeon 101 pg 59 (Underdark bridge with pay or slay toll booth)
The Coming Storm, Dungeon 136 pg 36 (caravans are attacked by bandits during thunderstorms)

Capture the Queen  http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20001101a
Road to Oblivion  http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030614a

Caravan Guards, Dungeon 26 pg 30
Courier Service, Dungeon 27 pg 24
Yes these are AD&D, but they shouldn't too hard to convert. For instance, the bhuts in Caravan Guards are also in the Fiend Folio.

That should give you a few ideas.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:13:26 AM by kevin_video »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2011, 01:15:13 AM »
I don't know that you could convert this one to fit, but maybe you could. Al-Quadim adventure Caravans.

Epoch16

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2011, 02:15:22 AM »
Q9:  I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out how a ghast gains Nat Armor (in 3.5). At 2nd lvl the ghast has +2, and then at 4th lvl it has +4. But if I just gave it +2 AC every 2 lvls, wouldnt that be a bit unbalanced, especially if that ghast were wearing a +2 full plate? I am trying to give a reasonable amount of AC to a lvl 15 ghast, without going for a TPK.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2011, 09:45:20 AM »
Are you talking about the difference between a ghoul and a ghast, or is there some other book that has this progression?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2011, 07:54:30 PM »
Q 10 Got a question about Crusaders and their randomly given maneuvers. How do you go about choosing what's given? Flash/cue cards? Dice? What's the best way to determine the randomness of what's given? Especially at later levels.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »
Q 10 Got a question about Crusaders and their randomly given maneuvers. How do you go about choosing what's given? Flash/cue cards? Dice? What's the best way to determine the randomness of what's given? Especially at later levels.
I personally roll a die of size equal to the maneuvers withheld at any given time (so a d6 when I have 6 readied maneuvers and none granted), and count down on my list of maneuvers to get the granted one, repeat for every granted maneuver, skipping any non-readied maneuvers and any already granted ones. E.g.:

I have White Raven Tactics, Mountain Hammer, Crusader's Strike, Stone Bones, and Foehammer readied at the start of combat. I roll a 1d5 and get a 4, so Stone Bones is granted. After that, I roll 1d4 and get a 1 for WRT, then a 1d3 and get a 2 for Crusader's Strike.
Obviously, this doesn't work too well with physical dice, as I've yet to see a d5 in real life. For online play where RNGs are able to simulate such die rolls, it works like a charm.

In a physical game, I'd personally just use maneuver cards, although it can be hard to really shuffle a deck that consists of at most 10 or so cards.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 08:14:15 PM »
In a physical game, I'd personally just use maneuver cards, although it can be hard to really shuffle a deck that consists of at most 10 or so cards.
I've seen the maneuver cards. Just downloaded the zip file now. The problem I'd be worried about is losing them. That's a lot of paper to be cutting up.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »
For online play, I agree, just use a d(whatever). For RL, I'd just get some cards(poker would do, but TCG cards are fun too) shuffle and draw.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Epoch16

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2011, 04:49:08 AM »
Are you talking about the difference between a ghoul and a ghast, or is there some other book that has this progression?

It was my understanding that (basically) a ghast was just a ghoul with a few more hit dice, and a single extra ability. Your link does imply they are related but not actually the same. So . .. .. .. . If I were to advance a ghast to 15 hit dice, would it's + Nat AC bonus also improve, and by how much? Is there a diffenitive chart, or pattern to follow?

If I just gave the ghast class levels, should I add to it's +Nat AC? That is assuming it should gain +Nat AC as it gains hit dice. .. .. .. . I'm so confused.