Author Topic: Tibbit Spellwarp Sniper  (Read 8055 times)

Growin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Tibbit Spellwarp Sniper
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:38:45 PM »
Hey my friend wants to build a Spellwarp Sniper that can blast things while they are in cat form.

Tibbit is a race from Dragon Compendium that has the racial ability to turn into a cat.  While in cat form they cannot cast spells that require verbal or somantic components.

I was thinking Silent Spell/Still Spell/Metamagic School Focus (Evocation) Would that be a good way to accomplish this?

He was thinking Rogue 1/Evoker 5/Spellwarp Sniper 5

So yeah, really all books are open (although dragon magazine has to be approved by the DM).  He wants to be the best blaster he can by using rays.  He never wants to miss with rays either.  (Like he wants to take the feat: "Ranged Recall")

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
Re: Tibbit Spellwarp Sniper
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:50:04 PM »
The surrogate spellcasting feat (Savage Species) lets him complete verbal components with meows and somatic components by waving his paws.  The eschew materials feat lets him ignore material components costing up to 1 gp. 

He could replace the 5th level of wizard with a level of unseen seer (Complete Mage) if he can swing the skill requirements.  If he takes 2 levels of unseen seer, he can pick up the spell hunter's eye (Player's Handbook II) for an extra 1d6 per 3 caster levels sneak attack damage. 

He may enjoy the acidic splatter feat (Complete Mage).  It's not a ray, but a ranged touch attack dealing 1d6 acid damage per level of the highest-level acid spell he can cast still seems to be up his ally. 

Check out this thread

Growin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 11:58:12 PM »
Surrogate spellcasting was exactly what I was hoping to find, I just didn't know where to look.  Nice

Thanks for the advice!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 03:05:58 AM »
Spellthief instead of rogue to steal spells in addition to dealing damage.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 03:36:19 AM »
Spellthief 1/ Wizard 5/ Spellwarp Sniper 5/ Unseen Seer 5/ Arcane Trickster 4

Feats of note: Master Spellthief and Craven
Items of note: Sniper's Goggles (Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide), just plain awesome for any ranged sneak attack build, see if your DM will allow it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:40:13 AM by gorfnad »

Growin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:24:54 AM »
We play with multiclass xp penalty.  Do you know if the whole "xp is a river" will make the 20 % multiclass penalty worth it?  

(Like will he only be a level behind everyone at every level and will being a level down be superior to a rogue 1)

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »
unless wizard isnt the favored class of the tibbit, theres no xp penalty whatssoever

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 09:57:22 AM »
Why not? Spellthief and Wizard are 4 levels apart. If neither is his favoured class, he is pretty much staring at an XP penalty...

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 10:13:48 AM »
thats what i wanted to say, was just worded badly :)

and i was just talking about wizard cause only core classes are fav classes iirc

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 10:18:18 AM »
thats what i wanted to say, was just worded badly :)

and i was just talking about wizard cause only core classes are fav classes iirc
You used a double negative. That is so bad that it should be criminal.

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 11:31:49 AM »
http://blog.addictinggames.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/sniper_kitty.jpg

Replace posh star with d20.

I hope your DM allows Savage species, its a difficult book to get passed because of its 3.0 origins (and the fact that it has feral template and anthropomorphic creatures)
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:11:16 PM »
We play with multiclass xp penalty.  Do you know if the whole "xp is a river" will make the 20 % multiclass penalty worth it?  

(Like will he only be a level behind everyone at every level and will being a level down be superior to a rogue 1)
I think the 'XP is a River' concept only really applies to item crafting. The idea is that you gain XP at an increased rate because you spent enough on crafting to fall behind, and because of that you catch up eventually but have more wealth for your troubles. Here, you're just taking a flat 20% XP penalty, which might be offset by the higher XP, but I don't think you'll ever really catch up.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 01:16:15 PM »

I think the 'XP is a River' concept only really applies to item crafting. The idea is that you gain XP at an increased rate because you spent enough on crafting to fall behind, and because of that you catch up eventually but have more wealth for your troubles. Here, you're just taking a flat 20% XP penalty, which might be offset by the higher XP, but I don't think you'll ever really catch up.
It takes an extreme case for the bonus XP for being 1 level lower to surpass the 20% penalty. So unless your party frequently fights monsters of significantly higher CR this guy would fall behind. I think there was a feat somewhere to grant you an extra favored class but I don't recall where, pretty sure it was an early book since later they realized everyone was ignoring that rule for due to its stupidity.

found some:
Diverse Background  [General] (RoD p150) (requires half human)
Arcane Schooling [Regional](PGF p33) (PGFe)+ (regional feat from FR)
Raumathar Heritor [Regional](DR349 p58) (requires human)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:20:03 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Jopustopin

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »
Additional Favored Class is a feat in unearth arcana.   

Would Spellthief be that much better than Rogue to take a feat for it?

Growin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »
Feats:

Spellthief 1/Wizard5/Spellwarp Sniper 5/ xxx 9

1) Point Blank Shot
3) Extra Favored Class
6) Surrogate Spellcaster
9) Master Spellthief
12) Ranged Recall
15)