Author Topic: Staffs/Wands for a Facto-meleon  (Read 1997 times)

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Staffs/Wands for a Facto-meleon
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »
So I'm building a 15 lvl level gestalt, Silver-brow Human Factotum 11/Binder 4//Phrenic Creature 2/Egoist 3/Chameleon 10.
Ive checked the Chameleon and factotum handbooks for the feats to take, and I know what kind of spells to prepare for the Chameleon{Bite of the Werebear(druid 6), Greater Dispel magic(Trapsmith 3), Haste (Trapsmith 1), Wall of Stone (Trapsmith 3), Heal (Adept 5)} I have vigor/ego whip, animal affinity and Practiced Manifester for the spare power points for Egosit. And I can bind one third level or lower vestige.

But my question is:What are good spells to place in Staffs/Wands/Scrolls for this character for a Dungeon crawl?
I have about 50,000gp left over from the +X stats, +3 armor/shield, belt of battle, circlet of the mage, etc.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: Staffs/Wands for a Facto-meleon
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 05:57:44 PM »
Why Egoist, I gotta ask? It's not bad, but why?

Be sure to get obscure stuff like this, too:
Warp Destiny - Destiny Domain 6
Summon Giants - Disciple of Thyrm 4
Investiture of the Steel Devil (...and the others from the series) - Cleric/Wizard 4
Pronouncement of Fate - Cleric 4
Inner Beauty - Bard 4
Snowsong - Bard 6
Nixie's Grace - Bard 6
Empyreal Ecstasy - Bard 6
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:18:06 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

the_shadowmind

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
It was for the Minor Change Shape ACF, for flavor reasons, and since it was only 3 levels the other ones don't there isn't much difference in the other discipline. Shaper for Minor Creation, Psionic, could of been another option. But, I think the idea of being a shape shift without being a changeling.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »
Wouldn't you rather have Swashbuckler 3 for INT to Damage, as well as other nice stuff?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

the_shadowmind

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »
35 easily replaced temp Hp, Not having to waste spellbook space on the + stat animal line, a source of cha damage, a psionic version of shield, being able to change shape like a changeling or +8 ish damage to attacks with light weapons and +1 BaB. Factotum can already add int to damage, and I have plenty of IP from Font of Inspiration.

Would a staff of Wall of Stone(Trapsmith 3, Caster level 8), and Greater Dispel magic (Trapsmith 3, Caster level 8) 9,000gp each a good deal?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 09:33:41 PM »
Last I checked, Staves use your CL when higher, so why not?

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
So I'm building a 15 lvl level gestalt, Silver-brow Human Factotum 11/Binder 4//Phrenic Creature 2/Egoist 3/Chameleon 10.
Ive checked the Chameleon and factotum handbooks for the feats to take, and I know what kind of spells to prepare for the Chameleon{Bite of the Werebear(druid 6), Greater Dispel magic(Trapsmith 3), Haste (Trapsmith 1), Wall of Stone (Trapsmith 3), Heal (Adept 5)} I have vigor/ego whip, animal affinity and Practiced Manifester for the spare power points for Egosit. And I can bind one third level or lower vestige.

But my question is:What are good spells to place in Staffs/Wands/Scrolls for this character for a Dungeon crawl?
I have about 50,000gp left over from the +X stats, +3 armor/shield, belt of battle, circlet of the mage, etc.
Staves tend to be more expensive, so wands are the way to go. Tossing on a Rary's mnemonic enhancer wand seems like a good idea to me, as do wands such as alter self (definitely a go-to wand for nearly any fight).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

the_shadowmind

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 12:51:06 AM »
Any opinion on a crafted staff of Wings of Flurry? Sorcerer 4 spell, CL 8 for crafting. Since we are doing a pathfinder like feat progression so I had room for Legendary/Extraordinary Artisan.  Which, brings the cost from 12,000gp to 4,500gp, 360exp. Not so bad I think for a 50 use 20d6 damage+save or daze, and leaves room to prepare none blasting spells.
Wand of Knock and Alterself been added, and I need to pick up a wand chamber for the +3 mithral buckler, and a wand bracer.

Wands and Staff use the same formula for pricing; it is just that staffs have a minimum caster level of 8, and making them with more than one spell adds a lot to the price, with little gain.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 12:13:06 PM »
I would be tempeted to take a level of cleric in place of Egoist for turn undead to allow alternative sourced spell and divine metamagic persistent spell madness.  If you were neutral, you could even through a level of Dread necromancer in to get both postive/negative energy (or dragon and negative energy) channeling.  If you did this, you next item purchase would be easy, Nightstick for 7,500gp and a Holy Requilary system (ick spelling) for 1,000 gp to net you 6 extra turnings.

For your alter self wand, I might be tempted to get an eternal wand.  Ony two charges a day, but it will never run out. 

Also I might drop that +3 mithral buckler.  With your chameleon you should be easily be able to cast Magic vestment.  Spend a little more money and pick up an +1 animated large mithril sheild with the feycrafted template (+1,500gp) from DMGII.  This will eliminated the last 5% spell failure on the shield and make it 10% lighter in weight.  Base it will have one less point of AC (2+1 enchanement), but magic vestment it up to a +5 for a total of 7 points of AC.  Don't forget the sheild spikes and enchant it with Spellblade.  Spell blade costs 6,000gp (8,310 gp total with the masterworked spikes, +1 weapon, and base spikes cost) and lets you pick one targeted spell you are immune to, select greater dispel magic.  If you have lots of buffs, this will force the enemy to use the area version of the spell which can only take out one spell (and only after he figures out you are immune to the targeted version).  If you are really worried about it, there is also the ring of Enduring Arcania in Complete Mage that adds +4 to your caster level for purposes of the enemy trying to dispel your effects for 6,000gp.

Same goes for your armor if there is any armor properties you would like to add to it later.  Magic vestment is the way to go.  One I like if you can swing it is the +4 soulfire enchantment from the Book of exalted deeds.  It makes you immune to death effects, energy drain, and negative energy effects.  Changing your armor from a +3 to +1 with soulfire will up the price from 9,000gp to 25,000gp, which should be well in your range of remaining 50k loot.

I think that puts us at 40k gp if you do all of the above plus whatever it takes to make the wand eternal.