Author Topic: Something Weird I Noticed...  (Read 2150 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Something Weird I Noticed...
« on: December 04, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »
Ruby Knight Vindicator doesn't require spellcasting to enter at all.

Just those Turning Attempts...

Guess what? A 4th level vestige (Tenebrous) grants you turning 1/5 rounds when you bind him. A homebrew Vestige also grants turning attempts; if you are allowed the Green Lady, more power to yeah.

So we could, let's say, do something like:

Archivist 1/Binder 1/Archivist 2/Divine Anima Mage 8/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7...

Any way to further abuse this?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Something Weird I Noticed...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:43:28 PM »
You do realize that your proposed build gets spellcasting anyways, and thus would qualify even if RKV needed spells to enter, right?

Anyways, the question becomes what can you do with the swift actions that RKV turns your turn attempts into. ToB is pretty good about that already with its boosts and counters. What other classes and abilities are swift action-based that use the 1/round limit as a balancing factor? Also remember that with Tenebrus (and possibly the Green Lady), your turning is limited to 1/5 rounds. You can get that down to 1/3 rounds with PrCs and feats, but that's still not overwhelming compared to just dipping cleric and snagging the undeath domain.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:41:19 AM »
I know it gets spellcasting, but I'm noting that you could technically enter the class with a binding class, and Archivist is better than Cleric, anyway.

And an alternate build idea would be:

Cleric 1/Binder 1/Anima Mage 10/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7

Sure, you would need shenanigans to get into Anima Mage, but you would gain Vestige Casting and Divine Impetus. Now, can anyone tell me how good a Turn attempts->Swift Actions and "cast any spell as an Instantaneous action" is as a combo?

Also, a question: can you Vestige Focus, Expel Vestige, Rapid Pactmaking, or Improved Binding if you have the Bind Vestige feat? Because none of those feats, afaik, ask for the soul binding class feature

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:29:27 AM »
isnt the down side of having spell progression and nothing to progress, having no spell casting?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:33:10 AM »
I'm not saying that it's optimal, I'm just saying that you can.

Big difference.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 05:01:27 AM »
It would be interesting if the casting advancement wasn't strictly limited to divine. That could allow for some interesting combinations. But hey, as long as we're in the land of make believe, enter with an Ardent with the magic mantle with screwy magic/psionic transparency and up the level of stupid with extra swift action linked synchronicity blah blah.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 06:21:54 AM »
Standard turning attempts are still better.  Using Tenebrous to get turning and enter RKV won't let you nova as well as a Cleric RKV can.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
I prefer entering with Ur-Priest. At level 17 you get full Ur-Priest casting and all the RKV goodyness.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:49:55 AM »
Hmm, doesn't Dread Necro give turning too as an arcane class?  While it wouldn't advance DN, it does come with a few benefits (such as if you Tomb Tainted).  You could go Dread Necro 1/Divine Casting 1/Crusader X/RKV 10 or the like.
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!