Author Topic: Brainstorming thread for a Psionic Tricks Handbook  (Read 55005 times)

Etarran

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Brainstorming thread for a Psionic Tricks Handbook
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2010, 06:53:55 AM »
How do you get more than one standard action via synchronicitySynchronicity normally lets you ready an action, and I thought you could only ready one action at a time.

"When you manifest this power, you can ready a standard action (without spending an action to do so)"

The relay triggers the power at the end of each round, so you spend your standard action for the round, and then synchronicity gives you another standard to use before your next turn. You only ever have one action readied.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2010, 06:54:57 AM »
How do you get more than one standard action via synchronicitySynchronicity normally lets you ready an action, and I thought you could only ready one action at a time.

The Rules Compendium makes no mention regarding the number of readied actions you can have (although apparently it's always a standard action to ready, even if the action you want to take is a move, swift, or free action). Considering that, the synchronicity shuffle is perfectly legal.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2010, 09:35:57 AM »

"When you manifest this power, you can ready a standard action (without spending an action to do so)"

The relay triggers the power at the end of each round, so you spend your standard action for the round, and then synchronicity gives you another standard to use before your next turn. You only ever have one action readied.

..... and you only actually have ONE standard action to use, because manifesting synchro is a standard action in itself.   so by my reading, it only not a waste of pp if you use it linked on the back end with another power.  (i think)

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2010, 12:23:55 PM »
..... and you only actually have ONE standard action to use, because manifesting synchro is a standard action in itself.   so by my reading, it only not a waste of pp if you use it linked on the back end with another power.  (i think)
Not really.  One way to use it is like so:

[power you want to manifest normally] linked to synchronicity [augmented so you don't have to specify the action]

So, round 1 you use your focus, and get the power you'd have manifested normally, regardless.
Round 2, you have your regular standard, regular move, regular swift actions, and an extra standard action (take it in response to your own action, if you want).
You used your focus, and gained an extra standard round 2.  Not a bad trade, but we can do better.

Share it with your psicrystal. 
Now, on round 2, you get an extra standard action (as normal), plus your psicrystal gets an extra action (as limited as they are).  So, you traded your focus for an extra standard action on round 2, plus an extra standard action for your psicrystal round 2.  If you have Metamorphosis in there, or Solicit Psicrystal, or anything else, that could be pretty strong.

Now, if you have Psicrystal containment, Twin a Synchronicity Linked to Synchronicity, and share it with your psicrystal. 
You traded two focuses to get an extra standard round 1, and 2 extra actions round 2, and your psicrystal gets two extra actions round 1, and two extra actions round 2.

Combine any of these with Hustle, to regain your focus faster (with Psionic Meditation).

Its all action-based novas.  Personally, I think anything beyond the first use is overkill except in the most twinked-out Gish builds.  Great for single-enemy fights, but you completely blow out your power points in one fight.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2010, 09:42:02 PM »
Use the lowest-augmented version to ready an action to ready an action. Then you can have your cake in your cake and eat it while you eat it.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
By the way kala, my Neo-Trancer/Chrono-Legionaire Mk V was originally going to be simply a psionic heavy version (read : 9th level powers) of Endarire's Trancer Dragoon, and ended up becoming far more.  He's still a charger like the original CL, can still pwn the Heca, just he's also a Dragoon, with more staying power (as in a toad shaped Terminator, as he never sleeps, eats, or breathes, and can recharge and keep going indefinitely).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2010, 07:23:44 PM »
Recharge Set-ups deserves it's own handbook
which I've promised from time to time, and haven't delivered.

IN Combat recharge is a new frontier, and deserves a Full hash-out.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »
I'm not aware of any recharge tricks which would work in combat (though the Psionic Dreadnought comes close).  Endarire posted the AzuRecharge over on GitP, which uses Azure Talent and Psycarnum Infusion to recharge, and he presumes that it is a Free Action, because no action is given for using either feat (though I would presume a Standard Action, as I was under the impression that when in doubt, it's a standard action).  Of course, it still relies on your Psychic Focus; if it were a free action you could get, conceivably, 3 uses per turn out of it (though that would require a manifestation of Hustle, which is a bit counter productive, I think).

Have you got an in combat recharge trick, awaken DM golem?

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2010, 06:08:36 PM »
Standard actions for 1 PP, complete with a recharge setup. Leads to exponential growth of effective PP and and standard actions per round.
[spoiler]
Doable as early as Ardent 10.
Requires: Ardent 10, Dominant Ideal ACF, Substitute Powers ACF, Time mantle, Synchronicity power, Linked Power feat.
Optional: Bestow Power power, Metapower feat.

With Dominant Ideal (set to Time Mantle), you spend 2 PP less (minimum 1 PP) and do not expend your psionic focus when using metapsionic feats or augmentations on powers from the chosen mantle. With Substitute Powers, you can put Synchronicity into the Time mantle. Thus, you can spend 1 PP to manifest Synchronicity linked to Synchronicity, which does not cost you any actions effectively, and grants you an extra standard action in the next round. Since you haven't expended your psionic focus, you can do this again (manifesting the power using the standard action granted by the first Synchronicity) to get as many extra actions as you want in the next round at the cost of 1 PP per action.

The option for the recharge comes when you link Synchronicity to Bestow Power. For 1 PP (base 4 PP, reduced by 4 between Metapower and Dominant Ideal), you gain 2 PP next round at no effective action cost to you. Thus, the amount of PP you can have access to increases at an exponential rate, close to doubling every round. Even if your DM rules that you can't have more PP in your pool at once than your normal maximum, you can still "float" the excess PP from round to round using the automatically readied standard actions granted by a linked Synchronicity manifested from the previous round.
[/spoiler]

I mentioned this in the first response, but I don't see it on the list. This also includes a combat-viable recharge (and not quite infinite PP, but that's another matter).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2010, 06:21:43 PM »
Standard actions for 1 PP, complete with a recharge setup. Leads to exponential growth of effective PP and and standard actions per round.
[spoiler]
Requires: Ardent 10, Dominant Ideal ACF, Substitute Powers ACF, Time mantle, Synchronicity power, Linked Power feat.

With Dominant Ideal (set to Time Mantle), you spend 2 PP less (minimum 1 PP) and do not expend your psionic focus when using metapsionic feats or augmentations on powers from the chosen mantle. With Substitute Powers, you can put Synchronicity into the Time mantle. Thus, you can spend 1 PP to manifest Synchronicity linked to Synchronicity, which does not cost you any actions effectively, and grants you an extra standard action in the next round. Since you haven't expended your psionic focus, you can do this again (manifesting the power using the standard action granted by the first Synchronicity) to get as many extra actions as you want in the next round at the cost of 1 PP per action.

The option for the recharge comes when you link Synchronicity to Bestow Power. For 1 PP (base 4 PP, reduced by 4 between Metapower and Dominant Ideal), you gain 2 PP next round at no effective action cost to you. Thus, the amount of PP you can have access to increases at an exponential rate, close to doubling every round. Even if your DM rules that you can't have more PP in your pool at once than your normal maximum, you can still "float" the excess PP from round to round using the automatically readied standard actions granted by a linked Synchronicity manifested from the previous round.
[/spoiler]

I mentioned this in the first response, but I don't see it on the list. This also includes a combat-viable recharge (and not quite infinite PP, but that's another matter).

Oh, terribly sorry, I'll be sure to add that tonight.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
I never bothered working up an In combat recharge.
Out is (was?) good enough for me.

That said, the Bestow + Affinity field is the obvious goodie.
Sychro to add actions, which then get used for recharge ... might be a good tactic.
It's worth exploring.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2010, 11:56:47 PM »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Added, under the name of "Garryl's Casual Disconcern for the Action Economy".  If you'd rather I call it something else, do let me know.

Edit:
By the way kala, my Neo-Trancer/Chrono-Legionaire Mk V was originally going to be simply a psionic heavy version (read : 9th level powers) of Endarire's Trancer Dragoon, and ended up becoming far more.  He's still a charger like the original CL, can still pwn the Heca, just he's also a Dragoon, with more staying power (as in a toad shaped Terminator, as he never sleeps, eats, or breathes, and can recharge and keep going indefinitely).

Point me to the write up and I'll add it.  I've been meaning to add the original Neo-Trancer/Chrono-Legionnaire for a while as well.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2010, 12:07:58 AM »
Thanks for the credit, but it's not actually my trick. I was just around when it was being refined. I think I helped push it a little bit further than people were looking at with the back end of the recharge bit (mostly the scaling out exponentially rather than just refilling to your normal max part), but that's about it.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Added, under the name of "Garryl's Casual Disconcern for the Action Economy".  If you'd rather I call it something else, do let me know.

Edit:

Point me to the write up and I'll add it.  I've been meaning to add the original Neo-Trancer/Chrono-Legionnaire for a while as well.

Here is the thread with both my Neo-Trancer battle toad and the original C-L by RadicalTaoist and T_G.  Neo-Trancer is just a term I used to represent a newer version of Hood Build #8, called the Trancer, which is the work of Endarire.  The idea behind it is a gish Hood that hits 9th level spells and decent metamagic capability.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2010, 12:42:23 AM »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Edit:

Here is the thread with both my Neo-Trancer battle toad and the original C-L by RadicalTaoist and T_G.  Neo-Trancer is just a term I used to represent a newer version of Hood Build #8, called the Trancer, which is the work of Endarire.  The idea behind it is a gish Hood that hits 9th level spells and decent metamagic capability.

Ah, it's good to finally know the difference between the Neo-Trancer and Chrono-Legionnaire.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2010, 10:23:22 AM »
Which isn't to say the two aren't mutually exclusive, as the C-L was also a charger, I just wanted to turn it up to 11 on both fronts, and Endarire's Hood chassis is perfect for the damage aspect of it.  Between that, Amechra's (I think he's the one that made it prolific here...) node research, and my CL/ML meddling in studying and ultimately raping the TBoS, the Neo-Trancer went from concept idea to be added to Endarire's Hood guide to actual viable (if obscenely overpowered) build.  Plus bonus points for being a fucking Battle Toad pseudo-Slaad :D
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
Which isn't to say the two aren't mutually exclusive, as the C-L was also a charger, I just wanted to turn it up to 11 on both fronts, and Endarire's Hood chassis is perfect for the damage aspect of it.  Between that, Amechra's (I think he's the one that made it prolific here...) node research, and my CL/ML meddling in studying and ultimately raping the TBoS, the Neo-Trancer went from concept idea to be added to Endarire's Hood guide to actual viable (if obscenely overpowered) build.  Plus bonus points for being a fucking Battle Toad pseudo-Slaad :D

What is the TBoS?  And Amerchra's node research?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2010, 03:11:24 PM »
TBoS is Twice Betrayer of Shar. DMM Persist Cleric with Initiate of Mystra and Occular Spell with damn enar every spell persisted.
Nodes are from Underdark I'm pretty sure. They allow for stupid shit shenanigans.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2010, 05:24:44 AM »
near invulnerability trick:

please note, this trick was deliberately de-optimized in order to meet the ideological constraints my dm operates under as well as the theme and backstory of my character. feel free to suggest various methods to re-optimize it.

as a bonus, this method, with one exception, uses only material from exp and comp psi and core. the exception is rather a critical lynchpin, however, and likely subject to dm fiat.

(speaking of which, shouldn't the "turn into an object (sandwich)" trick also be mentioned here?

[spoiler]Synopsis: To store one's body in a time-stopped state, but allowing one's mind to be free from the body and able to act.

Process overview: Separate the mind from the body. Preserve the body. Store the body. House the mind so that it is free to act.

Pros: Able to inhabit any edged metal (host) weapon within a certain radius at will. Able to exist for a few rounds outside of a "host". Can be affected only by a very limited list of effects; for example: effectively immune to all physical and energy damage. Body is immune to at least one (or two) rounds of damage, regardless of type. Effectively disguised as a minor magic item.

Cons: Complex requirements-limited entry. Requires daily (or more frequently, depending on character level) power point expenditure to survive. Cannot benefit from magic items, except for weapon crystals. (which fact went a long way towards placating my dm.) Can still be affected by mental and death effects. True seeing reveals that you are not a minor magic item.

Preparation:
Two to five feat slots filled with Expanded Knowledge Feat (manifester level 3rd).
Glove of storage (2,500 gp) or similar psionic item.
Psychic Reformation power (psion/wilder 4th level power, manifester level 7).
Compression power (psychic warrior 1st level power, manifester level 1-via expanded knowledge feat).
Crystalize power (shaper 6th level power, manifester level 11, must be shaper or use another expanded knowledge feat.)
Quintessence (shaper 4th level power, manifester level 7, must be shaper or use another epanded knowledge feat.)
Steal Steel (psion 5th level power, manifester level 9, unique power-via expanded knowledge feat)
Sufficient ranks of Autohypnosis to set up an unconscious hypnotic command.
Delay power feat if there is any question about the timing of the sequence of events.
Construct body feat or animate object power to activate the glove of storage.
Ring of sustenance to offset any minor quibbles of survivability, especially if the quintessence is canceled.

step one: compression (requires psychic reformation, and exp. know. feat)
   this will reduce her weight to below the glove's limit, if augmented for double
   reduction.
step two: steal steel. (unique power, must be obtained from dragon in the forgotten
   realms setting, or by dm permission/arrangement/fiat. )
   this will allow her to escape her body and inhabit an edged weapon.
step three: crystalize.
   this will preserve her reduced body and its life functions.
step four: use quintessence on the crystalized body.
   this will timestop the duration of all non-permanent effects on her. it will also
   serve as a measure of protection against damage, as if the glove is
   destroyed, the violence of the gloves destruction would neutralize the
   quintessence but leave enclosed items undamaged... till next round.
step five: use glove of storage on the compressed crystalized body.
   if there is a question of activation, use psychic reformation to acquire
   construct body feat, to wear a construct form long enough to active the glove.
step six: use quintessence on the glove.
   this will time stop the duration of all non-permanent effects on her. it will also
   serve as a measure of protection against damage, as if the dagger is
   destroyed, the violence of the daggers destruction would neutralize the
   quintessence but leave enclosed items undamaged... till next round.
step seven: store glove in the handle of the dagger.

since shrink cannot be used on a 'magic item', and crystalize results in a 'magic item', this route will allow the character to exist in the dagger. have the quintessence prepared ahead of time.

Steelsteal
Psychoportation (Dex)
Level: Psion 5
Display: None
Manifestation Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level or until you return to your body (D) (see text)
Power Points: 9

You free your spirit from your body, allowing you to travel as an incorporeal creature and inhabit metallic blades (such as daggers, swords, and so on). While incorporeal, you cannot make attacks or use any abilities, but you can fly at speed 30 (perfect). You do not carry any equipment with you but gain a deflection bonus to AC equal to your Charisma bonus. You can remain incorporeal for up to 3 rounds in succession, after which the power ends and your spirit returns to its body. When incorporeal, you are affected by spells and powers that ward or harm such disembodied spirits or possession attempts, such as magic circle against evil, which prevents you from entering or attempting to possess any blade within the area.

While incorporeal, you can overlap a metallic blade with your incorporeal form and enter it fully. While "possessing" the blade in this manner, you can see, hear, and feel as well as a normal human. You can speak and use any powers or abilities you have that don't require somatic or material components (therefore psionic abilities function normally). You cannot move the blade unless you have magic or psionics that allow you to move objects (such as far hand, skate, or telekinesis). You can remain within a blade indefinitely, subject to the duration of the power. As a standard action you can vacate the blade and become incorporeal again, or transfer directly between two blades in physical contact at the time. A blade possessed by you can bypass damage reduction as if it had a +2 enhancement bonus, but it does not gain any bonuses to hit or damage. Damaging the blade causes you no harm, and destroying it merely returns you to your incorporeal form. At any time you can end the power as a standard action and immediately return to your body.

If you attempt to possess an intelligent blade, the blade resists and you must attempt a Will saving throw (DC = item's ego). Success means you possess the blade and can use its abilities in addition to your own (so if the weapon could teleport once per day, you could activate that ability and teleport yourself and the blade to your choice of locations). Failure means you possess the blade but cannot use its abilities or any of your own (you are essentially a passenger), although you can still leave the blade normally.

Your body remains behind, unconscious. Effects on your body (such as poison, disease, and so on) continue while you are away, and because your body is still alive, it still needs air, water, and food. If your body is killed, you die.

Note: Another possible DM fiat, but the autohypnosis power could be used to self-program to auto expend the pp on the steal steel power. so long as one does not drop down below the minimum pp required to manifest it for 24+ hours.... I believe that there are other methods to get into an object more or less permanently, but this is one of the lowest level ones I can find.

Also note the unusual level-based duration. This article was published in June 2003, one month before the 3.5 phb was released, and a year or so before the exp psi was released... so this is definitely a 3.0 power. [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 05:50:27 AM by nijineko »
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »
If you want to be a psionic necromancer, become a thrallherd. Nothing says that your minions must be alive. Supplement with other undeadity to taste. Also note that thrallherd doesn't stack with Leadership, but it does stack with Undead Leadership.

You can do the same thing with constructs, or plants, or fey, or whatever other critter-type you like.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]