Author Topic: The Tao of Pun Pun  (Read 8066 times)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Tao of Pun Pun
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 09:56:35 PM »
Buddha also outwitted Sun Wukong (also called "Son Goku"), the Monkey King, who is one of the major influences for the character Goku from Dragonball.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 10:21:44 PM »
Buddha also outwitted Sun Wukong (also called "Son Goku"), the Monkey King, who is one of the major influences for the character Goku from Dragonball.
Love this bit in Lucifer Morningstar comics, one of the last ones I think.

Handy Links

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 10:25:37 PM »
I wouldn't call "being as large as the universe" outwitting someone.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 11:15:54 PM »
I wouldn't call "being as large as the universe" outwitting someone.

Either way though, he "made a monkey" out of Son Goku.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »
Stronger than Goku ?!
 :mad
Nah, couldn't be. Except for Gohan ...

Stronger than Gohan ?? !!
 :twitch

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »
Is Buddha, by any other name, still Buddha? I have yet to see a Buddha entry in D&D, though there are similar deities (Zuoken).
buddha is NOT a god.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 09:03:39 PM »
Is Buddha, by any other name, still Buddha? I have yet to see a Buddha entry in D&D, though there are similar deities (Zuoken).
buddha is NOT a god.
Although I should ask, what part of the D&D definition of deity does Buddha not satisfy?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:06:56 PM by skydragonknight »

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 09:24:58 PM »
Hmmm... how does one define "God".

He's not, extradimesional enough, maybe?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 09:33:45 PM »
Hmmm... how does one define "God".

He's not, extradimesional enough, maybe?
This thread is about Buddha now? Uh, sure, why not.

From my understanding, the idea is that Gods are set at a high power level but cannot grow. Humans are near the bottom but have unlimited growth potential. A Buddha is a human who realises their potential and surpasses the gods. In other words, TTGL is the most Buddhist series ever.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:40:58 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 09:38:04 PM »
Zuoken is a deity who's an ascended human...he's even a monk-type, to boot.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 07:05:03 AM »
What is the sound of the one Pan pun?
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Interesting. In all the books I've read, Buddha is referred to as a singular person (whom I can remember his name right now). I've never heard of "Buddhahood," and I do a fair amount of reading on Buddhist topics.

Just for the record: (take it as a tl:dr of the wikipedia article)
Buddha is simply a state of consciousness were you enter (or realize in some versions of buddhism) Nirvana. In some versions of Buddhism, this makes you ascend, and exit the wheel of reincarnation. In others, it just gives you a higher state of thought, until you can exit the wheel of reincarnation.
The "first" Buddha, Prince Siddharta Gautama Buddha, was a young prince who left his royal home, and his power to realize the realities of the world (IIRC they were, Religion, Poverty, War and Famine or something like that). By accepting the world as it is, and thinking of it long enough, and accomplishing total selflessness, he ascended to Nirvana (basically you get there by realizing all is one).

However, some Buddhist thinks this is not the "real" Nirvana, because just saving yourself is your final selfish act, and those they have a Bodhisatva ideal. A Bodhisatva is a Buddha who decides to throw himself into the wheel of reincarnation again to help others achieve Nirvana. The Tibetans believe there are only a few Bodhisatvas that have ever returned, and that the most powerful of them, called Avalokitesvara, is Dalai Llama.

TL;DR The guy people usually talks about when talking about the Buddha is Sidharta Gautama Buddha.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »
Also...

Isn't one of the only thing Pun Pun cannot do (without using the 'I can make stuff up' power) is to gain infinite size?  He can gain infinite reach, but he can't gain infinite size.  I remember reading the original 300+ page thread and the conclusion was that he couldn't get infinitely large because the size chart stopped at "Colossal+".

Can a Buddha become infinitely large?

-K

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »
Isn't one of the only thing Pun Pun cannot do (without using the 'I can make stuff up' power) is to gain infinite size?  He can gain infinite reach, but he can't gain infinite size.  I remember reading the original 300+ page thread and the conclusion was that he couldn't get infinitely large because the size chart stopped at "Colossal+".
Colossal+ isn't a real size category. And there's no cap on how large a Colossal creature can be. (the xixecal, for instance, takes up 10x10 squares)
My work

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2011, 11:43:50 PM »
Colossal+ isn't a real size category. And there's no cap on how large a Colossal creature can be. (the xixecal, for instance, takes up 10x10 squares)
I think Colossal+ stems from the Immortals Handbook.

Edit: Actually, the ELH mentions it in the force dragon statblock.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 11:49:50 PM »
Also, note that in 3.0, sizes were not fixed based on your size category. A number of Large creatures took up 5x5 squares, for example, and there were weirder examples.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 01:01:09 AM »
Also...

Isn't one of the only thing Pun Pun cannot do (without using the 'I can make stuff up' power) is to gain infinite size?  He can gain infinite reach, but he can't gain infinite size.  I remember reading the original 300+ page thread and the conclusion was that he couldn't get infinitely large because the size chart stopped at "Colossal+".

Can a Buddha become infinitely large?

-K
Wait I seem to remember a way to turn a psicrystal into a plane of existence. If that can be done then it should be possible to have Pun-Pun become a plane of existence. If that is in fact true then couldn't it get the the infinite size trait? I'm too sleep deprived to know if it works, I'll probably get back to this once I get some sleep.

Also I believe there is a creature that is basically one big square that when next to others of its kind, counts as one big creature.

Edit:Wow I was really out of it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:39:02 AM by Bastian »

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Bastian: Any updates on this now that you're hopefully cognizant?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"