Author Topic: The New, Virtually No-Nonsense Guide To Psions  (Read 248389 times)

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
Re: The New, Virtually No-Nonsense Guide To Psions
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2011, 02:05:56 PM »
Anyone out there have experience with both Ectoplasmic Cocoon and Burrowing Bonds and, if so, which would you consider to be better overall?
overall ..... Ectoplasmic Cocoon is better from this respect, if the target fails the Ref save, they are helpless Physically and remain Trapped for the duration. Burrowing Bonds is great vs Physically Weak characters(usually Arcane Spellcasters), but the DC to break free is easy for Strong Monsters(DC 20 Strength or DC 25 Escape Artist).

the main thing is to choose what you want to do:

Debuff or take out of the fight Physically Strong enemies(that cant Teleport) .... use Ecto Cocoon... a fun use is vs Dragons

Debuff Spellcasters before they buff .... use Burrowing Bonds, the DC is 20+the last Damage dealt(the first round it will be very high, the remaining duration it will be lower)

but both powers are Ref Negates, as long as you can boost the initial DC high enough they are ok, if not they are meh
 :D

Pretty much as I thought. I've just never had the chance to compare the two powers in action, and my character's about to hit 6th level. This helps me make up my mind.

I'd rather have the guarantee of taking a monster out of the fight for at least a few rounds, so I'll go with Ectoplasmic Cocoon. There's too much overlap between the two powers to really justify taking both...though I do rather like the idea of hitting a creature with Burrowing Bonds and THEN with Ectoplasmic Cocoon.

Nevertheless, I think what my character will really need at 7th level will be a good utility power. Dimension Door is looking attractive.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »
Dimension Door is ok( .... but usually i would prefer something different:

Psionic Divination is very useful ... Knowledge= Power
Empathic Feedback is also a handy power to have .... usually many things dont bother to attack you after they get hurt when they do, also it will last 70 min(700 rounds) at this level

since it appears that your character is a Shaper ..... Fabricate is awesome

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
Dimension Door is ok( .... but usually i would prefer something different:

Psionic Divination is very useful ... Knowledge= Power
Empathic Feedback is also a handy power to have .... usually many things dont bother to attack you after they get hurt when they do, also it will last 70 min(700 rounds) at this level

since it appears that your character is a Shaper ..... Fabricate is awesome

My plan has been to take the following 4th level powers:

Fabricate (swap it out when I get Greater Fabricate...planning to take Correspond at that time)
Psionic Divination
Wall of Ectoplasm
...and one other power
(I also plan to pick up Metamorphosis via Expanded Knowledge at 9th level)

For that one final power, aside from Dimension Door, I've also considered the following:

I'd take Gemstone Breath from Dragon Magic in a heartbeat, especially since I'm going into Anarchic Initiate, but my DM's being hinky about letting me take powers from that book.

Telekinetic Maneuver would be alright, but I feel like there's a great deal of overlap with Ectoplasmic Coccoon and Wall of Ectoplasm.

Freedom of Movement because it's always nice to have for when you really, really need it.

Trace Teleport, as an investment for higher levels.

So...I dunno what to do.

(Oh, and a note about Psychic Reformation, since it's also a 4th level power: I don't want to piss off my DM by reformatting my character all the time. So I'm only planning to use it one time per level, then overwrite it.)

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »
Added a section about Astral Constructs and their abilities. Will add more to it later.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2011, 03:28:13 AM »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Bortasz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »
Hello :) I love you Handbook Great work :) But i have  question... I have Hope that you will help me ;) (Sorry for my English its not my Native language)

Enlarge power only Green? I think it should be Blue ad least. It's only use Psionic Focus, zero Power Cost... and most of Good powers have only Close range. For example Matter Agitation. Or Energy Ray, Crystal Shards...
In Matter Agitation is more usefull because from hire distance you start set up Enemies on Fire. The most Cool of this powers is Increase Range of long range powers.
Close from 25 feet +5feet/lvl Become 50 feet + 10 feet/lvl
Medium from 100 feet + 10 feet/lvl 200 feet + 20 feet/lvl
Long 400 feet + 40 feet/lvl 800 feet + 80 feet/lvl

Energy Ball is 4 lvl Kinestic Power so for minimum you have to have 7 lvl. 800 + (7 * 80) = 800+ 560 = 1 360 Feet....
20 Lvl Wizard have range of Fire Ball 400 + (20*40) = 400 + 800 = 1 200 Feet...

And i say it Again... NO POWER COST :D

Astral Construct Has a Close Range.. Answer it will not be awesome to summon him in the places you can't Reach? The back of Enemies is simpler example ;)

Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »
Hello :) I love you Handbook Great work :) But i have  question... I have Hope that you will help me ;) (Sorry for my English its not my Native language)

Enlarge power only Green? I think it should be Blue ad least. It's only use Psionic Focus, zero Power Cost... and most of Good powers have only Close range. For example Matter Agitation. Or Energy Ray, Crystal Shards...
In Matter Agitation is more usefull because from hire distance you start set up Enemies on Fire. The most Cool of this powers is Increase Range of long range powers.
Close from 25 feet +5feet/lvl Become 50 feet + 10 feet/lvl
Medium from 100 feet + 10 feet/lvl 200 feet + 20 feet/lvl
Long 400 feet + 40 feet/lvl 800 feet + 80 feet/lvl

Energy Ball is 4 lvl Kinestic Power so for minimum you have to have 7 lvl. 800 + (7 * 80) = 800+ 560 = 1 360 Feet....
20 Lvl Wizard have range of Fire Ball 400 + (20*40) = 400 + 800 = 1 200 Feet...

And i say it Again... NO POWER COST :D

Astral Construct Has a Close Range.. Answer it will not be awesome to summon him in the places you can't Reach? The back of Enemies is simpler example ;)

Thank you. I'm glad you like the guide. :-)

I don't rate Enlarge Power higher because what it adds to the individual Psion is not as useful as, say, Empower Power, a feat I rate blue. Enlarge Power and Empower Power are both most likely to be used on offensive powers. Few Psions, if any, will only pick a single offensive power. Furthermore, few Psions, if any, will only pick offensive powers that are Close-ranged. The overwhelming majority of Psions will have several offensive powers, and of those offensive powers it is most likely that they will have a few Medium-ranged powers in addition to their Close-ranged powers.

Most encounters don't take place at Long range. In fact, most take place at distances of zero-to-100 feet. Accordingly, a Psion with at least one Medium-ranged offensive power is good to go.

This is not to say that Enlarge Power is useless. Quite the opposite. Even in the above-described "typical scenario," if you have Enlarge Power you can stand still and lob Close-ranged powers at your foes from across the map. However, so can a Psion with a Medium-ranged power, as can a Psion who takes a move action to get into Close range and then opens fire.

Compare this to Empower Power. For only 2 PP and your focus you improve your damage output by half at ALL ranges. It's useful in any situation, not just when the enemy is far away. That is what makes Empower Power blue and Enlarge Power green.

One caveat: if your DM likes to run lots of encounters with hundreds of feet between the PCs and the monsters then Enlarge Power will be a good feat choice for that campaign. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »
Hmmm oki. I understand you point. Maybe i give that Feat to much power ;) I have ones the 17lvl Psion witch overland flight and Energy Barage, Desintegration plus that Feat... I was like Invisible Bomber witch Tactical Nukes :D

PS. Those only i think that Trallherd  have to much power? No one of my MG allow me to play witch this think...

PS: This is my Power Book ;) The list of power that for me are the best ;) A word of comment?
Vigor
Charm
Energy Ray
Crystal Sharp
Attraction
Concusion blast
Aversion
Read thoughts
Sugestion
False Sensor Input
Energy Wall
Touchsight
Dispel Psionic
Dominacja
Correspond
Modify Memory
Dimmension Door
Mind Probe
Plane Shift
Major Creation
Ectoplasmic Shambler
Overland Flight Psionic
Energy Barrage
Disintegration
Planar Chempion
Energy Conversion
Oak Body
Teleport Psionic Greater
True Metabolism
Mind Blank Psionic
Mind Switch true
Psychic Chirurgy
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:58:08 AM by Bortasz »
Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2011, 12:51:49 AM »
With Linked Power, you can manifest Synchronicity Linked to something (like synchronicity or astral construct) to get another standard action this round.

Catfall is useful to non-Dragonborn and non-Raptoran.  You may be able to Link catfall to another power immediately after your turn to get another action next turn.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »
With Linked Power, you can manifest Synchronicity Linked to something (like synchronicity or astral construct) to get another standard action this round.

Catfall is useful to non-Dragonborn and non-Raptoran.  You may be able to Link catfall to another power immediately after your turn to get another action next turn.
Get yourself a couple of psionic focuses and Psionic Meditation (yes, that's 4 feats minimum, including LP) and you can use Linked Power and synchronicity to get numerous standard actions each round. Standard manifestation Linked to synchronicity, Swift manifestation (ie, hustle) Linked to synchronicity, Move to refocus, and then the second Move manifestation Linked to synchronicity. That's three extra Move actions you get just before your second turn.

This is when Metapower (Linked synchronicity) would come in handy.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2011, 04:26:11 AM »
You mentioned in the general powers section Bluff isn't a Psion class skill.

Telepaths get it.

I rate contingency and temporal acceleration the same- probably purple- because both can save your life.  Contingency is 1/day at most, but couple it with synchronicity and you can have an extra standard action when you need it.  I'm sure you can find a use for this.

You rated stygian conflagration as purple, but it feels merely OK by level 17.  Death ward/Soulfire Armor will be standard by then.

Synchronity, if paired with Linked Power (Complete Psionic 62) or sense danger (Magic of Eberron 106) is purple.  Really.  It means extra actions when you want them.

I request a link in astral construct for Astral Construct Power Armor.  If you can do this, astral construct is a solid blue (nerfed) or PURPLE otherwise.

How'zbout including powers from other sources, such as Hyperconscious or Sandstorm?

Psicrystal Containment should get another note:  If your psicrystal has a power point reserve (such as from Wild Talent or Hidden Talent), it can focus itself.  (Go, go free refocusing!)  Works even better if your psicrystal also has the feat Psionic Meditation, letting it ready an action to focus itself, and letting it be focused twice more per turn with no extra action as the master.  Sweet!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:33:38 AM by Endarire »

Speaking of which:

Saeomon

• A real rules lawyer
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2011, 09:03:41 PM »
You mentioned in the general powers section Bluff isn't a Psion class skill.

Telepaths get it.

I rate contingency and temporal acceleration the same- probably purple- because both can save your life.  Contingency is 1/day at most, but couple it with synchronicity and you can have an extra standard action when you need it.  I'm sure you can find a use for this.

You rated stygian conflagration as purple, but it feels merely OK by level 17.  Death ward/Soulfire Armor will be standard by then.

Synchronity, if paired with Linked Power (Complete Psionic 62) or sense danger (Magic of Eberron 106) is purple.  Really.  It means extra actions when you want them.

I request a link in astral construct for Astral Construct Power Armor.  If you can do this, astral construct is a solid blue (nerfed) or PURPLE otherwise.

How'zbout including powers from other sources, such as Hyperconscious or Sandstorm?

Psicrystal Containment should get another note:  If your psicrystal has a power point reserve (such as from Wild Talent or Hidden Talent), it can focus itself.  (Go, go free refocusing!)  Works even better if your psicrystal also has the feat Psionic Meditation, letting it ready an action to focus itself, and letting it be focused twice more per turn with no extra action as the master.  Sweet!

Good suggestions, all. Happy to integrate 'em over the next few days. My life's been very busy lately.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »
The psicrystal-focusing-itself thing is iffy, at best.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2011, 03:48:46 AM »
hmmm, really? it has a pp reserve, assuming feats are allowed. it has concentration ranks. it is considered independently intelligent, ie: capable of taking actions when owner is incapacitated or not directing it to do something.... i guess it falls into undefined area, thus dm purview.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2011, 04:07:05 AM »
The only thing which is iffy at best here is the psicrystal having feats to begin with. But since that's a part I don't care about because I'm assuming they do have feats, it's not iffy at all. The psicrystal is an intelligent creature in of itself, and is also psionic with Wild/Hidden Talent. It has your skills so it can use Concentration to focus itself with ease, unless you do not have ranks in Concentration, but you'd fail at life as a manifester so we don't care about that part.

Now, that trick with Psicrystal Containement is the only thing that I could find tricky, but it really isn't if you're not one of those stupid persons that downgrades anything on sight because they have a made up perception of what is balanced like, say, Fighters Are On-Par With Wizards.

ps: Sorry if this sounds like a rant or etc, I'm kind of sleepy.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2011, 12:57:27 AM »
i know that i would lean towards the focusing being allowed, based on my understanding of the various rules. again, assuming feats are allowed, which you have obviously settled that issue in your case.
Never game alone again!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
hmmm, really? it has a pp reserve, assuming feats are allowed. it has concentration ranks. it is considered independently intelligent, ie: capable of taking actions when owner is incapacitated or not directing it to do something.... i guess it falls into undefined area, thus dm purview.
The iffy part is not that whether or not the psicrystal can focus itself, because if it has power points it totally can. The iffy part (and the part that, were I DMing, I wouldn't allow) is if that focus is the one that the master can use. Basically the master can store his focus in the psicrystal, which the psicrystal (far as I know) can't use on its own. So if the psicrystal can't use the focus stored in it (since it's not the psicrystal's focus, since it doesn't have pp), then why would the psicrystal's own focus be usable by its master?

The only thing which is iffy at best here is the psicrystal having feats to begin with. But since that's a part I don't care about because I'm assuming they do have feats, it's not iffy at all. The psicrystal is an intelligent creature in of itself, and is also psionic with Wild/Hidden Talent. It has your skills so it can use Concentration to focus itself with ease, unless you do not have ranks in Concentration, but you'd fail at life as a manifester so we don't care about that part.

Now, that trick with Psicrystal Containement is the only thing that I could find tricky, but it really isn't if you're not one of those stupid persons that downgrades anything on sight because they have a made up perception of what is balanced like, say, Fighters Are On-Par With Wizards.

ps: Sorry if this sounds like a rant or etc, I'm kind of sleepy.
Psicrystals are creatures that gain actual hit dice as their masters gain levels, and they have Int scores. All creatures with hit dice that have Int scores gain feats as they level up.

This is indisputable, according to the rules. Whether a DM would allow it or not, however, could be, but Rule Zero isn't up for debate here.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »
excellent point. i guess in theory that the psicrystal could wind up with two focuses, one from the master's feat, and one of it's own. i'm thinking it could take the psicrystal feat and the containment feat itself, and that could chain rather deep. but i think your point of who gets to use the focuses is spot on. i did not think it through, laziness on my part, belike.
Never game alone again!

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
Hello :)
I have a question about on Arcane Item from Game Master Book. In my language is called "Ber?o Wch?aniania" translate to "Sceptre absorption"
Its power absorption energy from Magic Personal Attack (Fire Ball No but Magic Missile Yes) it can hold up to 50 lvl of power. (50 magic Missiles or 10 five lvl spells) Person ho has it can use stored magic Energy to use his ones Spells without using his one slots. Np if he remember Fire ball and have 30 lvl powers in Sceptre he can cast 10 fireballs witch magic of the sceptre and Eleven one witch hi remember.
It's price is 50 000 gp its required Deflect Magic to create.

Question is. Can i use that Sceptre for Psionic Character?
Because if Yes that will be Awesome.
For 50k gold you have cognizance Sceptre witch 50 Power Points instead of 17 powers points for 81 000 gold... I take Four... Two Handed power Points for 200k gold....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:08:14 PM by Bortasz »
Radical Taoist

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2011, 05:55:40 PM »
Ah, you mean the Rod of Absorption

I don't think it works for psionics, but an equivalent trick is to buy arrows with the manifester property.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.