Author Topic: [CO Project] Pure SRD Builds  (Read 42702 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
[CO Project] Pure SRD Builds
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:12:24 AM »
So, you are home or at work and you are bored? Go to www.d20srd.org and by using only the stuff the site provides create the coolest build you can.
That's about it. :P

//edit: I already know of druid 20, wizard 20 and cleric 20. Also i am aware of their variations (like monk 1/druid 19 :P). Please don't bother.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:30:02 AM by Dictum Mortuum »
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: [CO Project] Pure SRD Builds
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:41:20 AM »
I'll start.

Forest Gnome Wilderness Rogue 3/Planar Ranger 4/Horizon Walker 10/Rogue +1/Ranger +2

• Feats: Wild Talent (or hidden talent if allowed) 1, Point Bland Shot flaw, Precise Shot flaw, Psionic Shot 3, Up the Walls 6, Speed of Thought 9, Open, Open, Open.
  • Skills: UMD, hide, move silently, spot, listen, survival.
  • Terrain Masteries: Desert, Hills, Plains, Underground, Marsh
  • Planar Terrain Masteries: Fiery, Cold, Cavernous, Shifting, Aligned

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 07:54:51 AM »
I'll start.

Forest Gnome Wilderness Rogue 3/Planar Ranger 4/Horizon Walker 10/Rogue +1/Ranger +2

• Feats: Wild Talent (or hidden talent if allowed) 1, Point Bland Shot flaw, Precise Shot flaw, Psionic Shot 3, Up the Walls 6, Speed of Thought 9, Open, Open, Open.
  • Skills: UMD, hide, move silently, spot, listen, survival.
  • Terrain Masteries: Desert, Hills, Plains, Underground, Marsh
  • Planar Terrain Masteries: Fiery, Cold, Cavernous, Shifting, Aligned
Why all 10 levels of HW? I've never seen the need for more than just Shifting, Cavernous, and maybe Aligned. Get more Rogue (ending Rogue on even levels saves BAB, but costs SA) or Planar Ranger.

Also, two of those Open feats are Greater Psionic Weapon and Psionic Meditation. You may well want to push for Manyshot over Up The Walls, as that's situational at best.

You have swift action movement. Abuse it.

EDIT: Damn, Shifting's worse than I remember. Still good for an archer, but makes Manyshot + GPsiS + PsiMed less appealing. Still good, but less appealing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:56:40 AM by Callix »
I know gameology-fu.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 08:17:17 AM »
No reason, really. I just took the entire class because i liked the resistances at that point. Cold and fire are quite common. Anyway, greater psionic shot and psionic meditation are good picks and you get manyshot from ranger at 6. To be honest, i don't know if psionic shot works with manyshot/greater manyshot.

Where do i get swift action movement from :S ? I think that dimension door is standard.

Also if you take more rogue than ranger levels, you have multiclassing penalties.

katans

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • All hail the Cheese!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:02:20 AM »
Paladin of Slaughter 4/Wilder 4/Sorcerer 2/Dragon Disciple 10

Feats: Power Attack1, Improved Sunder3, Focused Sunder6, Expanded Knowledge (Expansion)9, Divine Might12, Combat Reflexes15, Stand Still18

Cha>Con>Str>the rest.

Powers known: Offensive precognition, Entangling Ectoplasm, Concealing amorpha, Expansion (Feat)

Spells known (only listed 1st level spells): Shield, True Strike

Concept: Damage dealer / Battlefield controller. You're a flying Large combat brute with good AC, insane saves, Blindsense, am impressive damage output and the ability to prevent your foes from moving.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:36:54 AM »
half orc monk11/warmind9

Feats: stunning fist, improved initative, deflect arrows, power attack, improved trip, wild talent, open feat, open feat, expanded knowledge (metaphysical weapon), expanded knowledge (strength of my enemy)

Powers: Expansion, force screen, psionic lion's charge, metaphysical weapon (from feat), vampiric blade, strength of my enemy (from feat), psionic dimension door or psionic freedom of movement

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:40:14 AM »
No reason, really. I just took the entire class because i liked the resistances at that point. Cold and fire are quite common. Anyway, greater psionic shot and psionic meditation are good picks and you get manyshot from ranger at 6. To be honest, i don't know if psionic shot works with manyshot/greater manyshot.

Where do i get swift action movement from :S ? I think that dimension door is standard.

Also if you take more rogue than ranger levels, you have multiclassing penalties.
You don't get swift movement, but Manyshot + (Greater) Psionic Shot is still nice. Since it's one ranged attack roll, you can use your focus for +4d6 to the overall damage. It doesn't split, but it's still useful.

The swift action was a bad memory slip. That's what the edit means.

Re multiclassing penalties: I can't see how it matters. Rog 3/Rgr 4/HW 7/Rog +2/Rgr +2/Rog +2 has no penalties anywhere. If you're trying to be Epic-ready, then HW 10 does make a lot more sense.
I know gameology-fu.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:47:45 AM »
Ranger 2/Nomad 4/Illithid Slayer 10/Nomad +4

Probably the standard psi-gish, 16 BAB and 17th manifester levels.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »
rogue4/ranger6/assassin10, 16 BAB, 7d6 SA

katans

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • All hail the Cheese!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »
Wouldn't you get better results with Ranger 2/Sneak attack Fighter 5/Rogue 3/Assassin 10? 16 BAB, 10d6 SA, and you still have enough feats for the full TWF route.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 04:53:13 PM »
When I'm slightly more bored I'll add something.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 06:49:53 PM »

Why Nomad?

Handy Links

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 07:00:31 PM »

Why Nomad?

No reason, i just liked the class skills and psychoportation seems ok and flavorful enough for a ranger-gish. Any psion could do the job. I just don't like kineticists and shapers that much, but that's just a personal opinion.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 07:00:49 PM »
Wouldn't you get better results with Ranger 2/Sneak attack Fighter 5/Rogue 3/Assassin 10? 16 BAB, 10d6 SA, and you still have enough feats for the full TWF route.

I'm not a big fan of the SA fighter.

Your build gives up 2 feats, ranger spellcasting, a crappy animal companion, +3 to your reflex save (2 from ranger, 1 from rogue), 18 skill points, and a second favored enemy bonus for 3d6 SA damage, a few extra hps, and +1 to fort saves. SA is too situational (especially in SRD-only) to lose all the other stuff.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:38:26 PM by ninjarabbit »

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 07:43:28 PM »
Tiefling with LA Buyoff: Wizard 6/Eldritch Knight 8/Archmage 4/EK 2. CL 19, BAB 15/10/5, Fort:10 Ref: 6 Will: 12, 9th level spells at Archmage 4 (18th level), and 2 bonus feats. Tiefling being an outsider, you get martial for free (not removed with hit die...RAW) plus it nets you +2 Int and Dex. As a wizardy archer type, you're not half bad, IMO. Could do the same with sorcerer, just use aasimar. As for feats, two flaws will net PBS and Precise shot at 1st, plus whatever you like, perhaps Skill Focus: SpCr or Spell Focus: Conj.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:01:25 AM by Chemus »
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 08:04:16 PM »
The Other Psi-Gish:

Ranger 1/Psion 4/Elocater 2/Slayer 10/Elocater +2/Psion +1.

ML 17th, BAB 17, but you get nifty Elocater tricks instead of Combat Style.

IIRC, this is the base buid for the Chrono-Legionnaire, Radical_Taoist's and Tleilaxu_Ghola's Uber-Gish.

EDIT:
Race: Human.

Feats: Dodge(1), Track (R1), Mobility (H), Psicrystal Affinity (P1), Psionic Weapon (3), Greater Psionic Weapon (6), Psicrystal Containment (9), four free feats. Psionic Meditation and Speed of Thought are decent depending on your tatics.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:10:54 PM by Callix »
I know gameology-fu.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 12:40:36 AM »
Bard1/barbarian1/bard2-4/dragon disciple10/barb2nd/bard5-8

Shouldn't be too bad. Bard4 gives you 2nd lv spells, while DD gives you tons of 2nd lv slots, enough to fuel mirror image. You have limited buffing capabilities (bard song makes up for the lost bab), can rage 3/day (with extra rage) and some decent skills.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 01:57:12 AM »
Assuming we're not comparing against the casters...

Ranger 3/Barbarian 2/Horizon Walker 10/XYZ 5 is pretty decent all around

Minotaur 8/Bard 2/Dragon Disciple 10 amuses me

Any of the Genies are reasonably strong, as is the Lillend and Succubus

Pixie Rogue/Assassin

Sorcerer 8/Paladin 2/Eldritch Knight 10 as step down from your core gish, but better stat synergy

Rogue 1/Fallen Paladin 1/Blackguard 10/Assassin 8 decent skills and SA, good saves, HiPS, BAB 17 and 4th level assassin and blackguard spells

---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Korwin

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 11:43:04 AM »
Sorcerer 8/Paladin 2/Eldritch Knight 10 as step down from your core gish, but better stat synergy

Spellcaster 8/Paladin 2/Eldritch Knight 10

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm#spellcaster
Spellcasting
A spellcaster learns and casts spells as a sorcerer. She may select her spells known from the cleric, druid, and sorcerer/wizard spell lists.

[edit]But who allows the Spellcaster class?
I once played one... It was sick... OK I used the Spellcaster in combination whit Incantatrix[end edit]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 11:45:27 AM by Korwin »

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 01:06:51 PM »
Semi same flavor as Runestar's

Barbarian 1 / Battle Sorcerer 4 / Dragon Disciple 10 / Half-Dragon Paragon 2-3 / Barbarian 3-4

16 BaB, Good Fort & Will