Author Topic: Is there a way to gain Ascetic Mage as a Divine caster?  (Read 6545 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Is there a way to gain Ascetic Mage as a Divine caster?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 06:08:27 AM »
Strictly speaking, TML is right. It's still cast as divine even if it's modified to be treated as arcane for rules effects. Just like you can throw a dagger and use the rules for ranged weapons but the dagger is still a melee weapon.
Oh well. Too bad, then.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 06:26:29 AM »
Wiz/Sor dip and Alternative Source Spell?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 06:40:30 AM »
As I read Alternate Source, if you are a cleric, you need to use a slot of sorcerer of that spell level. In other words, you will need 4 of sorcerer for it to work.

It seems to be a pretty stupid feat...

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 08:40:30 AM »
If you prepared a 2nd level cleric spell as an arcane spell and spontaneously converted it into cure moderate wounds, would it still be arcane? Spontaneous Casting doesn't mention arcane/divine in it's description (just "cleric spell"), so it would be most reasonable to go with it being the same type as the original spell, which was prepared as arcane. So you're casting a spontaneous 2nd level arcane spell...
It does lower CL by 1 for the spell, so you'd need an extra level and enter sacred fist at 7th or practiced spellcaster to enter it at 6th like you plan to.

So that's still two feats or a level...a pity you can't convert domain spells. IIRC Anyspell spells are still arcane, right?. ...would the divine spontaneity feat from complete divine work with spell domain's anyspell? Hmm...probably not, since anyspell is funky.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 09:22:11 AM »
As I read Alternate Source, if you are a cleric, you need to use a slot of sorcerer of that spell level. In other words, you will need 4 of sorcerer for it to work.

It seems to be a pretty stupid feat...

You just use the spell slot you would normally use for the spell. So, you could prepare an Arcane Cure Critical Wounds in your 4th level Cleric slot.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 10:54:31 AM »
well for a favored soul you can use a dragons blood pool to get up to 3rd level arcane spells slots for use.   (Complete Mage)

for a prepared caster im not sure.   

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
Favoured Soul would have a problem casting anything out of it. You gain an arcane spell slot, but you don't actually get an arcane spell known to cast out of it.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »
Favoured Soul would have a problem casting anything out of it. You gain an arcane spell slot, but you don't actually get an arcane spell known to cast out of it.

yes but you now would have the ability to cast an Arcane spell from of that level (2nd needed).  or the othe way to do so would be to make a feat similiar to AM for divine casting as a house rule.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »
What about the Dragonsblood Pool wondrous location from Complete Mage 149?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 09:46:06 PM »
What about the Dragonsblood Pool wondrous location from Complete Mage 149?

said that a few posts back but i think its the best way to get AM as a divine caster

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
Tshern - Standard Monk 1/Cleric4/SF x entry. Is there a better way? I'm open to suggestions. I am aiming for a Good aligned character, so Ur-Priest is right out.
With a good-aligned caster there hardly is a better way. Cloistered Cleric is a decent idea for the skills an additional domain, but apart from that your entry seems perfect. Sorry the Ur-Priest idea didn't work out, more of a high level thing anyway.

Handy Links

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 01:54:57 AM »
With a good-aligned caster there hardly is a better way. Cloistered Cleric is a decent idea for the skills an additional domain, but apart from that your entry seems perfect. Sorry the Ur-Priest idea didn't work out, more of a high level thing anyway.
Don't be sorry. It was a valid way of getting it if there weren't the alignment restriction. Sometimes you just can't do things within the ruleset (like spacegoing mecha ninjas with lasers shooting out of their eyes).

Raith0 - In my view, to be able to CAST a spell, you need two things: a spell slot capable of supporting that spell, and knowledge of the spell. Without one, the other doesn't work. Just because you have spell slots doesn't mean you can cast a spell. You need to know the spell first. That is why dragonblood pool doesn't work (it is even explicitly stated that it is for arcane casters, I don't know why they didn't bother putting that in the pre-requisites; probably another WotC screw-up).

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 02:52:56 AM »
Don't be sorry. It was a valid way of getting it if there weren't the alignment restriction. Sometimes you just can't do things within the ruleset (like spacegoing mecha ninjas with lasers shooting out of their eyes).

Gestalt Warforged Warlock//Ninja or Warlock//Scout who thinks he's a ninja. Setting is Spelljammer, borrowing a little from Eberron.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 03:12:56 AM »
Alternatively, persist that one wu-jen spell.  Or spell thematics magic missile.

Actually, Gae Bolg works out pretty well as a spell thematics corrupted magic missile.  Too bad for him that saber is immune to force damage.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:14:46 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 04:18:09 AM »
Gestalt Warforged Warlock//Ninja or Warlock//Scout who thinks he's a ninja. Setting is Spelljammer, borrowing a little from Eberron.
Mecha, not robot. There is a difference :D

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 04:52:13 AM »
Mecha, not robot. There is a difference :D

Fiend of Possession cohort and Ring of Enlarge?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 04:55:08 AM »
The pilot needs to be physical...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 05:16:36 AM »
Symbiote template.

Or make it a stronghold.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.