Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo  (Read 187956 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« Reply #900 on: December 19, 2010, 11:14:55 PM »
Q 266 If I wanted to repel down a rope, what skill check should you make?

Climb I would have thought...
Maybe, but it doesn't specify.

To rappel, you make a DC 10 climb check (Rules Compendium 91).  
Thanks.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #901 on: December 19, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »
Q268: A character in a game I'm playing has a pair of bracelets that can conjure up infinite throwing knives at will. Basically, they give the character an inexhaustible supply of throwing knives and the effects of the Quick Draw feat. This character has Two-Weapon Fighting, meaning he can throw a knife using each hand as a full attack. What happens if that character takes the Rapid Shot feat? Will he gain an extra attack only on his primary hand, or will he gain one on both his primary and his off-hand?
A268: Only one extra attack.
And the -2 penalty from Rapid Shot would stack with the -2 penalty from TWF with the feat and a light off-hand weapon, applying a -4 penalty to all attacks he makes in that round.

If his base attack is low enough that he's still only getting a single attack with his primary hand, he may want to hold off on Rapid Shot if he plans to hit anything.

I'm not sure what his attack modifiers would end up being, though I think he has a couple of iterative attacks. Just wanted to keep it simple for the sake of the question. :p
I read on another forum that the D&D 3.5 FAQ says that the monk's Flurry of Blows can be used with off-hand attacks, which seems a pretty similar mechanic to Rapid Shot. Flurry's rule text also uses the "may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus" sentence.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:23:54 PM by Emo_Duck »

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #902 on: December 19, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »
Flurry plus TWF is kind of murky, but if you assume that Flurry + TWF is legitimate, then yes, you can flurry and TWF and Rapid Shot at the same time with shuriken, and yes the penalties do all stack.  Ask your DM if he thinks it's legitimate.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #903 on: December 20, 2010, 03:07:42 AM »
Flurry plus TWF is kind of murky, but if you assume that Flurry + TWF is legitimate, then yes, you can flurry and TWF and Rapid Shot at the same time with shuriken, and yes the penalties do all stack.  Ask your DM if he thinks it's legitimate.
Flurry and TWF is legitimate according to the FAQ, but only with monk weapons throughout. Thing is, daggers aren't monk weapons...

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #904 on: December 20, 2010, 03:10:41 AM »
Q 269 If you've got a character with 4 LA and +18 to your first three stats, what are some good melee character classes to suggest to a fairly new 3.5 player? Preferably no spellcasters as the mental stats are barely average.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #905 on: December 20, 2010, 03:12:40 AM »
Q 269 If you've got a character with 4 LA and +18 to your first three stats, what are some good melee character classes to suggest to a fairly new 3.5 player? Preferably no spellcasters as the mental stats are barely average.
Barbarian.

BARBARIAN!!!!!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #906 on: December 20, 2010, 05:03:10 AM »
Barbarian.
She says "Hmmmm. Since I'm the daughter of the devil, I was hoping for something a little more lawful... if at all possible of course. I'm daddy's little girl after all."

Q 270 Is there a list somewhere of all classes with full BAB?

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #907 on: December 20, 2010, 05:56:22 AM »
Dungeon Crasher
or if you're feeling Moxy
Crusader, and do it in the name of business.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #908 on: December 20, 2010, 05:59:37 AM »
Dungeon Crasher
Is it a good idea to throw those classes at a new player?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #909 on: December 20, 2010, 06:02:12 AM »
Dungeon Crasher
Is it a good idea to throw those classes at a new player?

Bash something into a wall and do lots of damage... That's Dungeon Crasher.  That's pretty damn simple.

I'd suggest a hybrid of the two, Fighter 6/Crusder X.  That way, you can introduce more complex mechanics and still have the old fallback of a solid, basic build.  Stone Dragon even has some really good, synergistic maneuvers.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #910 on: December 20, 2010, 06:02:33 AM »
Barbarian.
She says "Hmmmm. Since I'm the daughter of the devil, I was hoping for something a little more lawful... if at all possible of course. I'm daddy's little girl after all."

Q 270 Is there a list somewhere of all classes with full BAB?

Monk into Soul Eater.

Abner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #911 on: December 20, 2010, 06:07:39 AM »
Yes the book of Weeabo Fighting magic has something for the bruiser.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:10:39 AM by Abner »

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #912 on: December 20, 2010, 08:31:57 AM »
Warblade ..... great Hp,full BAB, great manuvers to choose from

:D

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #913 on: December 20, 2010, 08:45:08 AM »
Warblade ..... great Hp,full BAB, great manuvers to choose from

:D
Well, the low mental stats and new player made me forgo the ToB class recommendations...

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #914 on: December 20, 2010, 09:24:22 AM »
Ok, a rather noob question but the description got me confused.

Let's say we have a six level druid transform into a wolverine. the polymorph effect is stated to give the recipent the target creature's natural weapons but no extra attacks for extra limbs or associated ambi/multidexterity.

The wolverine entry contains 3 attcks - /claw/claw/bite.

What attacks and at what bonuses will the transformed druid have?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #915 on: December 20, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
Ok, a rather noob question but the description got me confused.

Let's say we have a six level druid transform into a wolverine. the polymorph effect is stated to give the recipent the target creature's natural weapons but no extra attacks for extra limbs or associated ambi/multidexterity.

The wolverine entry contains 3 attcks - /claw/claw/bite.

What attacks and at what bonuses will the transformed druid have?
Claw, Claw, Bite.

Use Druid BAB, modified by the wolverine's strength. Bite gets -5.

There isn't any extra limbs, per se. Both a human and a wolverine have two hands and a head...

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #916 on: December 20, 2010, 09:31:30 AM »
Q 272:  If a humanoid (dragonblood) creature becomes undead, and the undead template doesn't specifically strip subtypes, does the undead retain the dragonblood subtype, or does the dragonblood subtype crap out for non-humanoids?

Thinking of Spellscale -> Gravetouched Ghoul if it matters.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:37:27 AM by weenog »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #917 on: December 20, 2010, 11:48:53 AM »
Q 272:  If a humanoid (dragonblood) creature becomes undead, and the undead template doesn't specifically strip subtypes, does the undead retain the dragonblood subtype, or does the dragonblood subtype crap out for non-humanoids?

Thinking of Spellscale -> Gravetouched Ghoul if it matters.
If you don't have a reason to lose the subtype you keep the subtype.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #918 on: December 20, 2010, 12:59:06 PM »
Any creature can have the Dragonblood Subtype.  Either the Draconic template or the Dragontouched feat gives it to them.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #919 on: December 20, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »
Q273 If you get Evasion from the Incarnium bind Impulse Boots do you get Improved Evasion if you go through a class that grants it?

Q274  Same for for Uncanny Dodge.  If you bind Impulse Boots to your feet chakra do you gain Improved Uncanny Dodge if you say go four levels in Rogue? 

Thanks.