Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo  (Read 187699 times)

carnivore

• Grape ape
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« Reply #720 on: December 13, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
Q227
if someone gets hit by a languor spell 2 times in a round (one quickened and one normal), does the str-penalty stack?
(note: talking about the complete divine version, not the spellcompendium one)

Q227b
and what about the above scenario but with the poison spell? does the con-damage stack?

A227
no .... Stacking Effects: Spells that provide bonuses or penalties on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, and other attributes usually do not stack with themselves.

A227b

yes.... Damage always stacks(the spell does not give a Bonus or Penalty... it simply does Attribute Damage)

:D

ninjaed  :ninja

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #721 on: December 13, 2010, 11:29:11 AM »
to 227
but languor explicitly says that its cumulative str-penalty (as it gets applied again each round), so the actual question was more if the cumulative counts only for the spell it comes from or other spells too

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #722 on: December 13, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »
to 227
but languor explicitly says that its cumulative str-penalty (as it gets applied again each round), so the actual question was more if the cumulative counts only for the spell it comes from or other spells too
Only that spell. Penalties from DIFFERENT sources don't stack.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #723 on: December 13, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »
Q 228: I seem to remember someone either here or on one of the other two boards doing a ToB remake of the Abjurant Champion.  Anyone have a link handy to it?  I can't seem to dredge it up from the depths of Google-hell.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #724 on: December 13, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »
Bumping. Q 184 is very important.

Q 182 Are there any templates to add to a golem that can't be advanced anymore? In particular, add-ons to help give a golem something that WotC forgot to give it? Like spikes, or natural attacks, or a gore attack. I'm referring to the rune golem, which attacks with a basic medium-sized spear (not even a masterwork one), despite the fact that it has tusks and antlers, and has spines all over its body, and is LARGE size. Bravo WotC.

Q 183 Under the "Improving Monsters" section, if I add two domains and their spells to a creature that don't help it in combat, is that +1 CR each, or just +1 CR?

Q 184 If I use a series of +1 flaming/frost/shocking/dessicating/holy arrow with a +5 transmuting collision longbow, against a flesh golem, what happens to that arrow come round 2?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:41:32 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #725 on: December 13, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »
Assuming the arrow hit, it is destroyed.  If not, then it's a 50% chance it's lost or destroyed.

Now, the next arrow would overcome the Flesh Golem's DR, but at this point I question why you aren't just using Force.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #726 on: December 13, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »
Assuming the arrow hit, it is destroyed.  If not, then it's a 50% chance it's lost or destroyed.
I didn't mean for someone to take me that literally. I've revised my question to "a series of".

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #727 on: December 13, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »
And I've already answered it.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #728 on: December 13, 2010, 01:53:34 PM »
Actually you didn't. All you said is that it'd get past the DR, and why aren't you using force? That's not what I was asking. I asked what would happen to the arrows themselves. As for not using Force, it's because the DM's figured out a way nerf that. In his campaign, a force bow works exactly like a magic missile. It has all of its strengths, and with the exception of the SR, a majority of the weaknesses that comes with it. A transmuting bow he's got no problem with. The trouble is I want to know what happens to the arrows. Now, a flesh golem is DR 5/adamantine. The arrows themselves should gain the adamantine property. That shouldn't overwrite the flaming/frost/etc correct? Now if I were to use cold iron or silver arrows though, that'd change their property, correct? They wouldn't work as those, right?

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #729 on: December 13, 2010, 02:11:16 PM »
neither of those would override flaming and such as adamantine, silver, etc is a material and flaming, shock, etc is a magic enhancement

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #730 on: December 13, 2010, 02:14:51 PM »
Actually you didn't. All you said is that it'd get past the DR, and why aren't you using force? That's not what I was asking. I asked what would happen to the arrows themselves. As for not using Force, it's because the DM's figured out a way nerf that. In his campaign, a force bow works exactly like a magic missile. It has all of its strengths, and with the exception of the SR, a majority of the weaknesses that comes with it. A transmuting bow he's got no problem with. The trouble is I want to know what happens to the arrows. Now, a flesh golem is DR 5/adamantine. The arrows themselves should gain the adamantine property. That shouldn't overwrite the flaming/frost/etc correct? Now if I were to use cold iron or silver arrows though, that'd change their property, correct? They wouldn't work as those, right?
actually he did answer it....
Assuming the arrow hit, it is destroyed.  If not, then it's a 50% chance it's lost or destroyed.
the arrows are not changed permanently in any case... they simply gain the qualities that would allow them to overcome certain DR temporarily... that would overide the actual substance that they were made from

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #731 on: December 13, 2010, 02:16:57 PM »
neither of those would override flaming and such as adamantine, silver, etc is a material and flaming, shock, etc is a magic enhancement
Good. That should settle argument. The argument was that the bow's properties would completely override the arrow. IE a +5 collision bow of transmuting would turn a +1 flaming/frost/etc arrow against something with more than DR/magic into a +5 collision arrow with whatever properties it needed to get past DR. I argued that the arrow material would change (wood to cold iron to silver to adamantine) and the +1 would become +5, but that the flaming/frost/etc part of it would stay and gain collision on top of it.

I win. I thought I would.

Vistella

• Email
« Reply #732 on: December 13, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
Q229

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #733 on: December 13, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »
Q230
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #734 on: December 13, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »
Generally speaking, yes, but if you store all of the energy of the spell in a surface and then fling something against it with another spell, that creature takes 40d6 damage.

That said, it's still energy damage.  It's still a 7th-level spell.  It's still relatively bad.  That said, thematically it's pretty awesome.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #735 on: December 13, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »
with the touching creature taking double the stored
damage
and all other creatures in the blast area taking
half damage.
... is the relevant passage, bolded for emphasis. Store all of it in your opponent's weapon/armor or whatever. He's touching it so it goes off and he takes double damage.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #736 on: December 13, 2010, 05:42:46 PM »
damage
half damage.
... is the relevant passage, bolded for emphasis. Store all of it in your opponent's weapon/armor or whatever. He's touching it so it goes off and he takes double damage.
Store it in a bunch of daggers, then chainspell telekinese them into the target. He touches it when they stab him. Done.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #737 on: December 13, 2010, 05:48:52 PM »
damage
half damage.
Store it in a bunch of daggers, then chainspell telekinese them into the target. He touches it when they stab him. Done.

Colossal daggers so it qualifies as a 5-foot square surface? ;)

Due to the 5-foot specification, it sounds like it would only work against non-flying opponents.

But yeah, I missed the "double" part.  Thank you much Garryl
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #738 on: December 13, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »
Q225
Does the Recitation Spell (SC170) apply to the caster as well as allies?

Q226
How would you go about calculating what one would need to do to break a Wall made by the Dark Way Spell (SC58)?
A225yourself and your allies."

A226.... you cant actually break it, if you exceed the Weight limit, you simply pass thru it ....also it cant be made into a "Wall", it is a predetermined shape(Horizontal Ribbon)"One bridge of force 5 ft. wide,1 in. thick, and up to 20 ft./level long"

I see that now. I seemed to have slipped over it viewing it as Flavor Text.

So it is essentially a minor Wall of Force in that it cannot be broken in physical means. I suspect as much, I was wondering if a foe would just have to be a certain weight to pass through it or if they could apply strength at all to pass through. The Term Bridge seems a little vague to me though, and the spell suggests it can be at any angle after being anchored =/
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #739 on: December 13, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
Q231
Is there not a version of the Hardening Infusion with an Instantaneous Duration, and if so, what is it's source?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."