Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo  (Read 187695 times)

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« Reply #700 on: December 12, 2010, 12:15:18 PM »
Q220

Is there a way for me to recharge my Sublime Chord's spells per day?

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #701 on: December 12, 2010, 01:56:36 PM »
A220:Is there any reason that chaotic spell recall wouldn't work on sublime chord......

Q221What would be the lowest level for an optimized party of four to go up against the WoTC Hell?
I am thinking 15 but I want your opinions as well....

Damien_Wilacoth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #702 on: December 12, 2010, 01:58:49 PM »
A220:Is there any reason that chaotic spell recall wouldn't work on sublime chord......

Only allowed books are Core, Complete Arcane, and Complete Warrior.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #703 on: December 12, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »
Q221What would be the lowest level for an optimized party of four to go up against the WoTC Hell?
It depends. I've seen parties as low as 13 go down there, but a majority usually have to be 20th. It's all a matter of who they're going to face, and what level of Hell they're going to go down to. If we're just talking the Abyss, then 15 should be fine. If you're going down to the ninth level of Hell, then we're talking lvl 30 minimum. The Demon Lord down there is CR 39.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #704 on: December 12, 2010, 04:17:27 PM »
Q220

Is there a way for me to recharge my Sublime Chord's spells per day?

A220
rest for 8 hours ... the same as a Sorceror

:D

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #705 on: December 12, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »

A221
5'th level should do it if they are sufficiently TO. Say pun-pun.
Other than that it depends on your party and how optimized is optimized. by level 10 you should probably be able to drop CR 39 creatures if you work at it hard enough.

Q208
what ways are there to gain extra swift actions aside from RKV?
Preferably psionic-compatible.

Reposting this question... although I think there might no be such a way.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #706 on: December 12, 2010, 04:39:28 PM »
Bump. Still needing these.

Q 178 Where can I find magic items/gear for mounts? Anyone got a handbook? Preferably horses. And I do mean a full list that's meant just for them. Armor and all. I've seen the ones in MIC, DMG, and SS.

Q 182 Are there any templates to add to a golem that can't be advanced anymore? In particular, add-ons to help give a golem something that WotC forgot to give it? Like spikes, or natural attacks, or a gore attack. I'm referring to the rune golem, which attacks with a basic medium-sized spear (not even a masterwork one), despite the fact that it has tusks and antlers, and has spines all over its body, and is LARGE size. Bravo WotC.

Q 183 If I add two domains and their spells to a creature that don't help it in combat, is that +1 CR each, or just +1 CR?

Q 184 If I use a +1 flaming/frost/shocking/dessicating/holy arrow with a +5 transmuting collision longbow, against a flesh golem, what happens to that arrow come round 2?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #707 on: December 12, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »
A208:
It's extremely Psionic-related, but it's not very good.

Synads, Complete Psionic page 140.

Multitask (Su): A synad's threefold mind can temporarily separate, allowing him to take more than a single mental action during his turn. Once per day, a synad can spend 1 power point to gain a swift action that he can use to take any purely mental action. Examples include manifesting a psionic power or making a Knowledge, Psicraft, or other check requiring only mental cogiation. However, a synad can use his mental action to manifest a power only if the normal actions allowed to him during the round do not also involde manifesting a power.

Emphasis mine.

There's a feat, available only once per character, that increase this to twice a day. Not worth it unless you're playing something with unlimited feats like E6.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #708 on: December 12, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »
A208:
It's extremely Psionic-related, but it's not very good.

Thanks, if it wasn't for the once a day part it would be perfect. oh well.

Q 178 Where can I find magic items/gear for mounts? Anyone got a handbook? Preferably horses. And I do mean a full list that's meant just for them. Armor and all. I've seen the ones in MIC, DMG, and SS.

there is a mounts handbook (or more than one) in the handbooks section.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414.0
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #709 on: December 12, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »

there is a mounts handbook (or more than one) in the handbooks section.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414.0
Just what I needed.

Q 222 Is there a way for an arcane user to use divine spells at a low level, without taking Arcane Disciple because the alignment will not match the deity's?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:59:57 PM by kevin_video »

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #710 on: December 13, 2010, 05:11:04 AM »
Q 223 I know that Obtain Familiar gets you a familiar in the same manner as a Wizard or Sorcerer would. But do you get the same XP loss as the Wizard or Sorcerer when the familiar kicks the bucket?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #711 on: December 13, 2010, 05:31:16 AM »
Q224: Is there any way for a cleric to qualify for frost mage without dropping a caster level to take a level of an arcane caster?

If not what is the best arcane caster class I can take considering I will never be casting any of its spells? Dread Necro?

Edit: Solved it myself, Southern Magician saves the day yet again...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:36:59 AM by Littha »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #712 on: December 13, 2010, 05:35:07 AM »
Q 223 I know that Obtain Familiar gets you a familiar in the same manner as a Wizard or Sorcerer would. But do you get the same XP loss as the Wizard or Sorcerer when the familiar kicks the bucket?
You will lose XP just as a wizard or sorcerer.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #713 on: December 13, 2010, 05:38:02 AM »
Q224: Is there any way for a cleric to qualify for frost mage without dropping a caster level to take a level of an arcane caster?

If not what is the best arcane caster class I can take considering I will never be casting any of its spells? Dread Necro?

A 224:
I don't know if Southern Magician helps here.
That one either made arcane divine or divine arcane, can't remember.

Generally, yes. Dread Necromancer gives you another pool of Turn Undead for DMM.
Hell, I'd dip 1 level into DreadNec for any generic DMM Cleric build, could I do it fluff-wise.
I can soak 1 lost caster level for twice the amount of turn attempts.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #714 on: December 13, 2010, 05:41:42 AM »

A 224:
I don't know if Southern Magician helps here.
That one either made arcane divine or divine arcane, can't remember.

Generally, yes. Dread Necromancer gives you another pool of Turn Undead for DMM.
Hell, I'd dip 1 level into DreadNec for any generic DMM Cleric build, could I do it fluff-wise.
I can soak 1 lost caster level for twice the amount of turn attempts.

That is the wonder of southern magician... it does Arcane > Divine > Arcane

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #715 on: December 13, 2010, 05:44:16 AM »
Q225
Does the Recitation Spell (SC170) apply to the caster as well as allies?

Q226
How would you go about calculating what one would need to do to break a Wall made by the Dark Way Spell (SC58)?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:57:15 AM by TC X0 Lt 0X »
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #716 on: December 13, 2010, 08:28:49 AM »
Q225
Does the Recitation Spell (SC170) apply to the caster as well as allies?

Q226
How would you go about calculating what one would need to do to break a Wall made by the Dark Way Spell (SC58)?
A225yourself and your allies."

A226.... you cant actually break it, if you exceed the Weight limit, you simply pass thru it ....also it cant be made into a "Wall", it is a predetermined shape(Horizontal Ribbon)"One bridge of force 5 ft. wide,1 in. thick, and up to 20 ft./level long"

:D

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #717 on: December 13, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
A226: As said before, you can't break it. A fair houserule could be the same break DC as a forcecage.

Vistella

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #718 on: December 13, 2010, 10:17:07 AM »
Q227
if someone gets hit by a languor spell 2 times in a round (one quickened and one normal), does the str-penalty stack?
(note: talking about the complete divine version, not the spellcompendium one)

Q227b
and what about the above scenario but with the poison spell? does the con-damage stack?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:18:49 AM by Vistella »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #719 on: December 13, 2010, 11:00:42 AM »
Q227
if someone gets hit by a languor spell 2 times in a round (one quickened and one normal), does the str-penalty stack?
(note: talking about the complete divine version, not the spellcompendium one)

Q227b
and what about the above scenario but with the poison spell? does the con-damage stack?
Penalties do not stack.

Damage does, for obvious reasons.