Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo  (Read 187710 times)

bearofsmiting

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« Reply #520 on: December 06, 2010, 02:20:15 AM »
A165: I would also advise looking at these two Rules of the Game articles which talk about cooperative crafting:
Making Magic Items (Part One) http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041207a
Making Magic Items (Part Seven) http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050118a
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #521 on: December 06, 2010, 02:29:34 AM »
Q167: Is there anything from Skip Williams or some other source that explains what setting "unclassified" Dragon/Dungeon Magazine content applies to? Is it assumed to be Greyhawk or is it assumed to be non-campaign-specific? I'm also curious about books like Lords of Madness and Libris Mortis; they aren't part of the SRD or the Forgotten Realms or Eberron campaign setting. Is Greyhawk like a base campaign setting whose contents can be found in any other setting?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #522 on: December 06, 2010, 02:30:28 AM »
Preeeetty much
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #523 on: December 06, 2010, 03:12:13 AM »
Cool, I knew there were rules saying you could somewhere just did not know where. Thanks. Now...

Q168
What are some ways to temporarly get some Craft Item Feats?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #524 on: December 06, 2010, 03:14:33 AM »
Cool, I knew there were rules saying you could somewhere just did not know where. Thanks. Now...

Q168
Binder or chameleon2.
Planetouched Handbook

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #525 on: December 06, 2010, 03:23:28 AM »
Q168
There is a module out there with a Work Bench which grants the right item creation feat for what you're creating when you work at it.

I forgot which one.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #526 on: December 06, 2010, 03:27:53 AM »
Lack of weapon finesse means you'll be using your familiar's Strength score for delivering touch spells, so there is yet a purpose for it.  That said, Mindsight is still a better feat.

Familiars get to use their DEX as a Class Feature, sort of. Doesn't take a feat.
Only for "natural weapons."
What do you think they deliver touch spells with?
A melee touch attack.  Touch spells have their own Weapon Focus/Specialization feats because they're not any other weapon.  I do remember rules somewhere allowing you to make a natural attack/unarmed strike, but that changes it from a touch attack to a regular attack.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #527 on: December 06, 2010, 03:28:14 AM »
Q 168 A red dragon, which is immune to fire damage, dies and becomes a mummified creature. It now has vulnerability +50%. Does this supersede the immunity? If not, will it at least get resistance 20? What if the creature if a tiefling paragon, and has resistance 10?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #528 on: December 06, 2010, 03:43:52 AM »
Q 168 A red dragon, which is immune to fire damage, dies and becomes a mummified creature. It now has vulnerability +50%. Does this supersede the immunity? If not, will it at least get resistance 20? What if the creature if a tiefling paragon, and has resistance 10?
The red dragon has immunity from the subtype, which IIRC the mummy template keeps.  That means it takes either 0*150% = 0 damage, or damage * 150% * 0 = 0 damage.

Tiefling paragon would take damage*150% - 10, as usual.
Planetouched Handbook

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #529 on: December 06, 2010, 04:32:04 AM »
Q169. Are there any weapon enhancements that drastically increase the damage done to inanimate objects- either by increasing damage done to objects directly or allowing an X/Day Disintegrate to get rid of cubic feet/CL or similar? I'm presently in an arena match with an ethereal opponent who keeps hiding in the floor, and have a Fiend of Possession cohort that enables me to change my weapon enhancements round-by-round: all other enticements having failed, I'm trying to ubercharge the problem away by destroying the ground, but it's slow going- we settled on Hardness 2, 600 HP for one 5' cube of earth.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #530 on: December 06, 2010, 04:44:47 AM »
Uh, if you can't do over 602 damage per round on a target with no AC to speak of, you're not an ubercharger.  And you're going to lose if you do that, anyway.  Eventually you'll dig down to the magma and burn to death, while the incorporeal, not interacting with non-magical sources of damage, will hide in it and laugh at you.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #531 on: December 06, 2010, 04:55:21 AM »
I AM doing about 1200 damage a round, taking care of ten cubic feet per charge, but getting things to the point where I'm doing twenty- dealing 600+ with every attack- would be helpful. I'm not a seriously dedicated ubercharger anyway, just someone with a basic Battle Jump (non-broken reading)/PA/Leap Attack/Combat Brute/Shock Trooper/Valorous weapon/2HF setup with ability in martial manifesting, Persist-monkey cleric, immunity defense and stealth.  And the arena is one with a specified depth.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:14:17 AM by Toptomcat »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #532 on: December 06, 2010, 05:04:27 AM »
Well, I'd recommend doomwarding as an enhancement. 

+1 extra attack per turn, and 1 reroll (of anything - include other people's rolls outside your round) per turn (you burn a charge each time, but with a Fiend of Possession that's a non-issue). 

It costs 38500 gp instead of a +number bonus, but FoP is based upon value rather than straight enhancement bonus, so you'll just pick up +4 worth of enchantments and doomwarding, (assuming sixth level FoP),
Planetouched Handbook

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #533 on: December 06, 2010, 06:51:42 AM »
Q170: I remember reading on these boards that you can take a Racial Hit Die anytime you want (so also when your level is counting LA's). Can anyone validate this and give me a source on where to find this?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #534 on: December 06, 2010, 06:52:21 AM »
Q170: I remember reading on these boards that you can take a Racial Hit Die anytime you want (so also when your level is counting LA's). Can anyone validate this and give me a source on where to find this?
You can't.
Planetouched Handbook

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #535 on: December 06, 2010, 06:53:15 AM »
You can't.
He may be specifically referring to savage progressions, in which case that'd be on the WotC website.

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #536 on: December 06, 2010, 07:05:38 AM »
You can't.
He may be specifically referring to savage progressions, in which case that'd be on the WotC website.

I am indeed. If anyone has a link to this, that'd be great.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #537 on: December 06, 2010, 07:53:07 AM »
Ah, those.  I think only the lycantropes have actual RHD for that.  I thought you were asking about a human taking a level of humanoid or whatever.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a
Planetouched Handbook

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #538 on: December 06, 2010, 10:20:23 AM »
Q 171: How can you "fill" a large sealed area with vacuum?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #539 on: December 06, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »
Q 171: How can you "fill" a large sealed area with vacuum?

How strong of a vacuum and why do you need it?
Some ways:
-Physical
Have some large creature suck the air out via rubber tubes.

-Alchemical
Cover the inside of the area with alcohol and ignite it, then quickly seal the area (yay for firecupping!)

-Magical
Cast shrink object on a large item inside the area and quickly seal the area

-Items
A simple air pump is not a very difficult thing to design.  High enough knowledge/craft checks should be able to get you a pump.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 10:52:16 AM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286