Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo  (Read 187955 times)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« Reply #220 on: November 28, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »
A level in Runecaster would do it, as well, iirc.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2010, 01:14:29 PM »
Q61: What are some good divine spells(archivist) and some good powers/arcane spells(StPerudite) to cast on summoned creatures, mostly SNAed vermin through child of winter?

bump
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2010, 01:16:10 PM »
Q84

Do any class features or feats exist to stack benefits from Special Mount and Animal Companion on the same creature, without using Devoted Tracker (or whichever feat it is that is a dual Paladin/Ranger progression thingy)? It's gestalt so that feat isn't likely to be allowed, but the player wants to do an Ubermount style build.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: November 28, 2010, 01:39:38 PM »
Q84

Do any class features or feats exist to stack benefits from Special Mount and Animal Companion on the same creature, without using Devoted Tracker (or whichever feat it is that is a dual Paladin/Ranger progression thingy)? It's gestalt so that feat isn't likely to be allowed, but the player wants to do an Ubermount style build.
Arcane Heirophant does familiar + Animal Companion, so you could progress it similarly, but that isn't likely to be a doable build if he wants to come from a pal/rgr direction.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »
Q84

Arcane Heirophant does familiar + Animal Companion, so you could progress it similarly, but that isn't likely to be a doable build if he wants to come from a pal/rgr direction.

Actually right now we're trying to swing literally any combat-capable companion with snake features and the ability to take the form of a human (the Nagas from OA are ideal for the latter bit, but they're tough to get; current approach is to convince the DM that the Complete Warrior Improved Familiar feat would allow one at character level 5, and then find ways to buff it from there). And I just realized Arcane Heirophant is a dual-advancement casting class, which is irritating because it's gestalt.

EDIT: And Arcane Hierophant requires you to dismiss your familiar and work with an animal companion base. Damn. Ok,

Q85

Are there any feats or class features that let you stack Mount and Familiar abilities onto the same creature? Ideally, letting you keep your familiar and add the benefits to it?

Actually Q85

Is there a consolidated list, anywhere, of all the animal companions available to a druid? The druid handbook has a selection of ones that are typically optimized, but I'm looking for a complete one.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 03:28:37 PM by Bauglir »

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2010, 04:53:46 PM »
Q 86: What would be the CR adjustment for randomly assigning the Regeneration ability to a monster (say you are making a unique version of a standard creature)?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Mushroom

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2010, 04:54:49 PM »
Q87:Is it possible to get an unholy/holy/luck/whatever bonus to a stat?

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2010, 05:00:13 PM »
Q 86: What would be the CR adjustment for randomly assigning the Regeneration ability to a monster (say you are making a unique version of a standard creature)?

A86
It depends on the magnitude of the the Regeneration, the creature in question, and the number of things that can overcome it (so, basically, it's not simple). But, at a guess, +2 for Regeneration 5 with 1 or 2 (common, or uncommon, respectively) things that overcome it, on a monster where this doesn't interact in weird ways to lead to Real Ultimate Power (say, the creature has an ability that deals damage to itself).

EDIT: Also, it really depends on your party. If they don't kill things with damage, it's a negligible CR increase.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2010, 05:11:18 PM »
Q27: Are there any templates that can be placed on vermin that don't drastically change their appearance and still strengthen them? All I can come up with are the Half-X, but those are not what I'm looking for.

Paragon, maybe?
Mineral Warrior would be a nice little beef-up.  Just gives them a stoney appearance to their carapace.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »
EDIT: Also, it really depends on your party. If they don't kill things with damage, it's a negligible CR increase.
In any case it will be an unbalanced CR increase.  It may, from a technical standpoint, be a CR 11 creature (for example), but will still hit, deal damage, have SLAs, etc. as a CR 9 creature.  In that case, it's really just an overvalued nuisance that the party has to jump through hoops in order to get rid of.

If it's a published monster, then you should lower it's other defensive abilities (Reflex saves and AC most likely) to compensate for the regeneration and then leave the CR unchanged.  If you're making one from scratch, add a couple HD to the creature and give it an extra SLA or attack option or something.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:41:15 PM by X-Codes »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »
Q87: Where is the most recent printing of Heighten Spell-Like Ability?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »

Strictly via Artificer infusions, as far as I know. There may be some freak abilities out there to grant you insight bonuses or sacred/profane bonuses, but they're rare.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2010, 09:48:07 PM »
Strictly via Artificer infusions, as far as I know. There may be some freak abilities out there to grant you insight bonuses or sacred/profane bonuses, but they're rare.
There are also the custom magic item guidelines, which allow for other bonus types, for an up charge.  But again, those are guidelines, not rules, and easily broken, so... *Shrug.*

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »
Q 88 A friend picked up an old AD&D module, and would like to update it for 3.5. Where can we find the bone golem, the doll golem, the gargoyle golem, and the glass golem? I've found the stained glass golem, but not the "glass" golem.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2010, 11:06:10 PM »
Q 88 A friend picked up an old AD&D module, and would like to update it for 3.5. Where can we find the bone golem, the doll golem, the gargoyle golem, and the glass golem? I've found the stained glass golem, but not the "glass" golem.
A88
you can find pretty-much anything here.
I've yet to not find something.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2010, 11:23:17 PM »
A88
you can find pretty-much anything here.
I've yet to not find something.
This would be that exception, sadly.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:41 PM »
Q89: What is the monster with Contact other plane ability? Often used for Wizard shenanigans.

Handy Links

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #237 on: November 28, 2010, 11:49:42 PM »
Q89: What is the monster with Contact other plane ability? Often used for Wizard shenanigans.
Elemental weirds.  From MM2?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2010, 12:06:22 AM »
Q90: I just discovered the poison ring martial weapon in Dragon Magazine #316. Can store one dose of injury poison, which is applied by making a melee touch attack that also deals 1 point of damage. Disregarding the poison, could this be used with, say, the Sudden Stunning enchantment from the DMG II or other such debilitating enchantments? This particular property does say: "Activating a weapon with this ability is a swift action that must occur immediately after the wielder makes a successful melee attack." - Is this a distinction that makes the ring unsuited for this purpose? Are there any other weapons that deal damage/function with (ranged?) touch attacks?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2010, 12:09:59 AM »
It's mostly used for enchantment fodder.  It'd take up a magic ring slot, so you have to consider how worthwhile it is as a secondary weapon.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.