Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo  (Read 187697 times)

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Part 20: Return of the Dread Gazebo
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2010, 07:44:53 PM »
Q80
Can effects that increase size or increase the damage of naturals weapons by a size (Enlarge Person, Improved Natural Attack, Sharptooth, etc) stack with the effects of Greater Mighty Wallop to increase the damage of a natural weapon beyond Colossal, or will the extra size increases of Greater Mighty Wallop start to overlap with other effects?
Whether or not it's possible to increase damage beyond colossal is debatable, but Greater Mighty Wallop is very specific about not being able to boost a weapon's damage beyond colossal.  Regular Mighty Wallop, however, does not have that clause, thus returning its status to debatable.

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2010, 08:43:45 PM »
Q80
Can effects that increase size or increase the damage of naturals weapons by a size (Enlarge Person, Improved Natural Attack, Sharptooth, etc) stack with the effects of Greater Mighty Wallop to increase the damage of a natural weapon beyond Colossal, or will the extra size increases of Greater Mighty Wallop start to overlap with other effects?
Whether or not it's possible to increase damage beyond colossal is debatable, but Greater Mighty Wallop is very specific about not being able to boost a weapon's damage beyond colossal.  Regular Mighty Wallop, however, does not have that clause, thus returning its status to debatable.

So then it is up to interpretation?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2010, 08:48:12 PM »
Yes.  As is the exact meaning of those size categories once you start off with goliath wielding a large platinum greathammer with Mighty Wallop cast on it and then cast Giant Size on the bugger to turn her colossal for a weapon that deals damage as a greathammer three sizes above colossal.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »
Q80

Sort of...

Size categories above colossal were made (in reference to specific entities which fit them, though no rules limit them to just those entities) and tables with quite easy to see patterns exist to properly track damage increasing along with size, but nothing explicitly states that you can increase to a size above colossal, and those tables all cap out at colossal size.

Logically there's no reason it wouldn't be allowed, as all the tools to make it happen are present and not limited, but many believe that since it is never explicitly spelled out that it cannot be done.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2010, 09:09:23 PM »
Logically there's no reason it wouldn't be allowed, as all the tools to make it happen are present and not limited, but many believe that since it is never explicitly spelled out that it cannot be done.
Or rather, that since it's never explicitly stated, it's dubious, and since damage scales exponentially as you get into higher size categories (the example I gave with the goliath would get 24d6 and it's possible to get damage several times that), it probably shouldn't.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2010, 10:17:23 PM »
Q 78) Okay.  So devils have imps and demons have quasits, which both make really interesting familiars for themed casters.  Is there an equivalent fiend for yugoloths/daemons, and if so, what book is it in?

Ideally, it would be a tiny creature that is CR 2.

I am similarly fascinated by the answer to this question.  I will bump for RobbyPants.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #206 on: November 27, 2010, 11:02:48 PM »
Q81: Is there an item, or rather, pair of items that allows the bearer of one to scry on the other? As I recall there was some pair of rings to this effect or goggles, but I don't remember where. If there was some kind that worked across planar bounds that would be ideal. Thanks for the help.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2010, 11:06:49 PM »
Or rather, that since it's never explicitly stated, it's dubious, and since damage scales exponentially as you get into higher size categories (the example I gave with the goliath would get 24d6 and it's possible to get damage several times that), it probably shouldn't.

I've never understood the philosophy of thinking that if everything needed to do something is given to the player and nothing explicitly limits their use together then there would be any reason they do not work together.

Whether it's balanced is entirely different.  :lol

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #208 on: November 27, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
Q81: Is there an item, or rather, pair of items that allows the bearer of one to scry on the other? As I recall there was some pair of rings to this effect or goggles, but I don't remember where. If there was some kind that worked across planar bounds that would be ideal. Thanks for the help.
I think there's one in the handbook of free dnd.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2010, 11:19:54 PM »
MIC has one for rather cheapm I believe it'scalled aScryingAnchor.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2010, 11:21:16 PM »
Q 82: When someone gets a 'luck bonus' to damage rolls, (i.e. from Prayer), would this include damage rolls for ability damage or turning damage?

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2010, 11:23:31 PM »

Handbook of free dnd?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #212 on: November 27, 2010, 11:26:18 PM »
Q 82: When someone gets a 'luck bonus' to damage rolls, (i.e. from Prayer), would this include damage rolls for ability damage or turning damage?
AFAIK, no.  That said, this sounds like something that would be in Rules Compendium (and I haven't read that book).  I think there are also rules regarding this in Complete Arcane.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »

Handbook of free dnd?
Handbooks section of the fprums -a bunch of links to free stuff on the wizards website.
Planetouched Handbook

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2010, 11:57:22 PM »
A73:
just pick one and stick with it.
I can't. It's not that simple
[spoiler]All the death knights in question appear in the Savage Tides module, and it's making me confused as hell how one module could have four different death knights.[/spoiler]

I believe I answered #74 with a fairly definitive "no" on the last page. To reiterate, Spring Attack requires an attack action, while Charge is a full-round action, distinct and separate from the action needed for Spring Attack. As for why WotC has Catfolk with Catfolk Pounce and Spring Attack, they may wanted to have some trick to fall back on after the initial rush. Once you're in melee, it's hard to charge again, and it's even worse since Catfolk Pounce only works against flat-footed opponents. That means it will usually be useful in the first round of combat (if that), so Spring Attack is an option to keep those fighters moving. Also, WotC has a tendency to design non-optimized NPCs to go up against non-optimized players (which is probably the norm for their customers, as much as we at the CO boards may try to forget). Non-synergistic abilities are simply par for the course in that regard.
Actually, you said Let me check my books and get back to you on that. when I gave the example. But the reasoning that you're not sure why WotC designed the characters as they are make some sense as well. I don't think even they know why they do what they do.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2010, 12:05:16 AM »
Check for errata on th module, and then ignore WotC's statblock inconsistencies.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: November 28, 2010, 12:17:40 AM »
Check for errata on th module, and then ignore WotC's statblock inconsistencies.
Unfortunately, there are no erratas on the module. I looked up the old stats, and it's DR 15/+1. According to the old 3.5 MM update, it states that a +1 usually means magic, however, the DM can change it up if they're a special case (ie Vampires going from 15/+1 to 10/magic and silver).
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #217 on: November 28, 2010, 12:52:45 AM »
Eh, just roll with it for the unique guys, and give any subsequent ones straight dr/magic.
Planetouched Handbook

shalandar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: November 28, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »
Q 83: Can someone give me the best way to get into heavy armor without arcane spell failure?  Assume I have heavy armor prof, I just want to reduce the spellfailure to 0.  Any combination of items/feats/spells is fine.

Edit:  Obviously, there is Still Spell.  I was meaning, without this feat.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:12:58 PM by shalandar »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: November 28, 2010, 12:14:01 PM »
Q 83: Can someone give me the best way to get into heavy armor without arcane spell failure?  Assume I have heavy armor prof, I just want to reduce the spellfailure to 0.  Any combination of items/feats/spells is fine.

A 83:
A lvl of Spellsword is -10%, Mithral is -10%, Twilight enchantment is -10%, a suit of Thistledown underneat is -5%. Feycraft and Githcraft reduce it further, but not sure those apply to Heavy Armour.
Alternatively, if you have the ability to cast in Light Armour, the feat Battlecaster increases that to Medium Armour. Now you only need Mithral.