Author Topic: Kingdoms of Kalamar Goodies  (Read 9390 times)

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Kingdoms of Kalamar Goodies
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
So, I decided to trawl through the Kingdoms of Kalamar stuff looking for some interesting options for players. Boy is there some powerful stuff in that setting. Below are some of the better options I found:

SPELLS

Doroma's Battle Ward:
Lands of Mystery

This is a 1st level Sor/Wiz spell that lets you create an antimagic field around two combatants. To reiterate, it's a first level antimagic field. The field lasts until one of the enemy breaks off the combat for at least one round. Essentially what this means is that, if you spy an enemy spellcaster, just have your fighter cast this on him and then keep harrying him until he's dead. The spell should work great from levels 1-5.

A Moment Ago:
Kingdoms of Kalamar: Player's Guide

This is a first level Sor/Wiz spell that is scalable. A scalable spell may be prepared in any spell slot available in it. It will exactly mimic any spell cast in the previous round of up to one level lower than the slot it was prepared in. By exactly mimic, I mean same target, same damage, same everything. I can see it having a lot of uses, great little flexible spell.

Flash of Lightning

First level Cleric spell. Ranged flash of light - make a will save, or go blind. Nice little combat ender for the first level Cleric.

Jolt

A cantrip that lets a Wizard force someone to make a Fortitude save or drop whatever they're holding. A cantrip that lets you disarm people! Awesome. Shame most fighter types will make the save...

Exile

Second level Sor/Wiz and Cleric spell. Make your will save, or run away until you're 300 feet away. It seems to be an earlier version of Fear, as far as I can make out...

Summon Fey

A first level Druid spell that's also scalable. You summon a Fey with HD equal to or less than the level of the spell you used. The nature of the spell means the HD you have available to you are limited. However, you can summon any of them. If nothing else, there's plenty of overpowered low HD fey in the Kalamar books themselves. Gives Druids some flexibility in their spellcasting, all from level one.

False Strike

This one's actually a bit meh. It's a first level Sor/Wiz spell, and the opposite of True Strike. -20 to attacks, including to confirm criticals. I just included it in case some Duskblades wanted to try and get their hands on it or something. Make sure your opponent never hits you again! I suppose a first level Sorcerer or someone else with the slots could also use this spell to toy with a Fighter type, though there are better ways of doing it.

Natural Death

Ok, so it's a 9th level Cleric fortitude save or die. I realise that's a bit useless for a ninth level spell. However, it kills the target by aging them until they expire of old age. So, no resurrection. Could it be useful? I have no idea (it really depends on whether Miracle/Wish can override it). I include it for your discussion.

Wisdom of the Ancients

Fourth level Cleric spell. Raises your mental attributes as if you were venerable, without the physical drawbacks, for one hour. Eliminate the need for Dragonwrought Kobold antics!

Off the Mirror

I saved you all the best spell for last. This is a fifth level Sor/Wiz spell. If the target fails their fortitude save, it creates a duplicate of them, and places the original on another plane. The spell lasts for rounds/level. The duplicate has all the original's knowledge and abilities. All of them. Even ignoring the fact that this is a massively useful save or die spell (that can be persisted by your friendly neighbourhood Incantatrix), the utility functions of this spell are really unparalleled. It's like a short duration Ice Assassin, only without the XP or material component cost. I won't bother going into all the broken things that can be done with that. On the lower end of things, this spell means you never need to pay XP to cast Wish again.

MONSTERS

Astral Hunter
Dangerous Denziens: The Monsters of Tellene

It's a 3HD outsider who can Plane Shift to the Astral Plane as an Ex ability. What's more, when on the Astral Plane, they can view any location on the Material Plane as another Ex ability. It's like Super Scry for the Alter Self spell!

Bugbear Mage

It's a 4HD humanoid that has the following Ex Spell-Like Abilities:
  • At will: Mage Hand and Magic Weapon
  • 4/day: Magic Missile
  • 3/day: Mage Armor
  • 2/day: Invisibility, Cure Serious Wounds

These are all Ex abilities, meaning Alter Self will pick them up just fine. Your 3rd level Wizard can probably cure more damage than a Cleric now, discounting all the other broken stuff. It also renders Invisibility useless as a second level spell.

Woodland Fairy

It's a one HD Tiny Fey, that could make for an interesting PC. The LA is +6, but you cast as a 7th level Druid. Stats are as follows:

-8 Str, +8 Dex, +2 Int, +4 Wis, +8 Cha

Has the following Spell-Like Abilities (These are actual spell-likes, so no picking them up with Alter Self):
  • At will: Speak with Animals
  • 3/day: Dispel Magic, Glitterdust, Invisibility (Self Only), Mirror Image, Sleep
  • 1/Day: Charm Monster

You also have a bunch of other Su abilities. Probably the standout is a free action Lesser Globe of Invulnerability/Magic Circle Against Evil effect, that can be activated as a free action. You are also mystically bound to the land within a 2 mile radius of your place of birth, and will grow sick and die if you're removed from it. Then again, you cast as a 7th level Druid. Just Magic Acorn things up.

This class is an interesting choice for PCs who want to play a Fey, and the lack of Wild Shape could be compensated for by just taking a level of Shapeshifter or similar.

Then again, it's also a 1HD fey - just get your Human Druid to cast Summon Fey to get it.

Leprechaun

Another 1HD Fey, this one with +3 LA.

-6 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Int, +6 Cha

At will: Ventriloquism, Invisibility, Poloymorph Any Object, Major Image, as Spell-like abilities.

The Polymorph Any Object effect only works on non-living matter, but should still be useful nonetheless. Also, I am wondering what would happen if it were cast on a Necropolitan...

Vila

4 HD fey, for your fun and amusement. It has the Ex ability to cast Fear as an 11th level Sorcerer. It also has the following (Ex) Spell-Like abilities:

• 3/day - Blindness/Deafness, Cure Light Wounds, Detect Undead
  • 1/day - Fog Cloud, Polymorph, Raise Dead

Alter Self into it for some Polymorph fun. Or just ensure your party never has to rely on a Cleric again.

Guardian Familiar

Again, I've tried to save the best till last. This is a 1HD outsider. It's basically a cat. Nothing too special there. However, it has an Ex ability called 'Nine Lives'. It literally has nine lives. Each time it's reborn, it also gains a magic bonus of +1 HD, AC, SR, attack, damage, and +5 feet movement. The mind boggles at what a clever spellcaster could do if they got their hands on this ability...

ITEMS

Coin of Power
Coins End

This is simply the most stupidly broken item I've ever seen. It's a 20 000 GP item. It gives you two extra levels. That's right - actual levels, complete with skill points, feats, spells, anything you could name. You can also cast a 'black bolt of energy' that does some stuff like Fort save or Die, but really, bugger that - it's a magic item that gives you extra levels! The downside to the coin is that each time you use it, you have a strong chance to go evil/mad/paranoid/all of the above. The thing is, that's only each time you use the item - you just have to possess it to get the benefit of the extra levels. I doubt this item will ever be allowed in game, but if you can pull it off, go for it.

Incidentally, it's been published in a lot of adventures, I've just cited the first one I found it in.

Well, there you go, some Kingdoms of Kalamar material for your fun and enjoyment! Hope you can make some use out of it :)

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
Re: Kingdoms of Kalamar Goodies
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:18:03 AM »
very cool stuff.

what books are the kingdoms of kalamar from? FR?
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:26:05 AM »
Kingdoms of Kalamar is its own setting, I believe.

The following feats are all found in the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide.

Channel Positive Energy [Cleric] Prerequisites: Turn/Rebuke undead, cleric
Chapter ten contains the list of abilities, one of which is called Oblivion. This ability is a no-save sleep on whoever you touch. Your mileage may vary depending on how your DM interprets it.

Child of the Earth [General] Prerequisites: Dejy born and raised in O'Par, Paru'Bor or Ek'Gakel (first level only)
Adds your Constitution modifier to all saves as a luck bonus.

Movement Check [General] Prerequisites: none
Your attacks of opportunity stop your foes in their tracks. Combine with Thicket of Blades for instant Lockdown.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:30:27 AM »
very cool stuff.

what books are the kingdoms of kalamar from? FR?

Kingdoms of Kalamar is a campaign setting that is "officially licensed"; not produced by WotC, but they have the licensing to put the D&D logo on their stuff. KoK's Player Guide is labeled "Core Rulebook IV", which is kind of funny, because it's got some of the most broken stuff ever, as you can see.

Also, Miser with Magic: Make a Spellcraft check as you cast a spell to retain the spell slot (up to a max of something like Int mod spell slots or spell levels).

Irresistible Spell: Prereqs: Envelope the Wall (basically Fortify Spell) and something else. Remove all saves from a spell for a +4 metamagic adjustment.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:31:33 AM »
Villian Design Handbook has Anti-Feats, in case your DM is crazy enough to allow them. They are flaws on crack.
And, off the top of my head, the Arm and Bribe spells in there are pretty broken.

Player's Guide to Kingdom of Kalamar has a feat which gives you int mod x class skills

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:45:22 AM »
I rember glancing that... wait now someone bought me their hobgoblin book for a present. I really actually liked it. Cool stuff, but I can't talk about something being broken, when the phb is already that. ymmv
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:46:45 AM »
Kingdoms of Kalamar is a campaign setting that iswas "officially licensed" ... because it's got some of the most broken stuff ever

None of this is now RAW, so I hear. I consider both dungeon and dragon magazine material balanced and useable, unlike all those kingdoms of kalamar books. I don't touch them with a 50' pole, nor do I know anyone who does.

My first look through the stuff and I found an NI combo in the same book. Sad, really. I'm sorry but this thread is useless.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:52:55 AM »
  I don't know... since we live in the times when there's only really 4th, Pazio, and hombrew... well anything you like or can find value in is worthwhile.
   I mean, reiterating what I said and echoing you if your criteria for worthless is "going Ni" as you say well that happens with wishes in the phb. Terrible criteria, if you want balanced spells or if you want something fixed you kinda have to do it yourself, if you like this stuff, I say have at. No better or worse than anything else... if we're just gentlemanly NOT breaking the game.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 01:53:25 AM »
Err... I stopped reading after "Polymorph Any Object" at will... That's not a "save or die". That is a "just die". I use PAO to instakill stuff with no saves. And you get it when? *shudder*

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 02:02:37 AM »
Err... I stopped reading after "Polymorph Any Object" at will... That's not a "save or die". That is a "just die". I use PAO to instakill stuff with no saves. And you get it when? *shudder*

Only works on non-living matter, I'm sorry to say, so not instakill, unless you decide it works on Undead. Still very useful/broken for all the reasons outlined though.

Also, how is PAO instakill? It only works on willing creatures.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 02:33:20 AM »
Kingdoms of Kalamar is a campaign setting that iswas "officially licensed" ... because it's got some of the most broken stuff ever

None of this is now RAW, so I hear. I consider both dungeon and dragon magazine material balanced and useable, unlike all those kingdoms of kalamar books. I don't touch them with a 50' pole, nor do I know anyone who does.

My first look through the stuff and I found an NI combo in the same book. Sad, really. I'm sorry but this thread is useless.
Combo is where?  

Honestly, the campaign setting is no more broken than Forgotten "home of the sharn" Realms or Dragon "spawn more overlords" Lance, or Gray "core spells" Hawk.  And for early 3.0 material, it's downright well-balanced.  (compare with the FR version of summon undead: based upon the size category of a skeleton or zombie.  Horde of undead solars says what?)

Anyways, a lot of this stuff got errataed.  Summon Fey can now summon a fey creature with CR equal to the level of the spell, not HD.  

IIRC, the Coin of Power from the Coin's end module is technically an artifact, just one given a market price if you want to sell it.  There are a couple of others like that in 3.0.  Regardless, " The DC save for corruption and dependence are DC 10 + the number of times the powers associated with or derived from the coin are used (including powers gained from class levels provided by the coin). This save is required each day a power (including those associated with the additional class levels) is used. "  So yeah.  You can prepare higher levels spells for a couple days, before you go batshit insane.  Candle of invocation does enhanced spell preparation better.

Technically speaking, the duplicate from off the mirror doesn't have any XP or items.  Or spells prepared.  Which makes it much more amusing, and less useful.

Dorama's battle ward has a max fixed duration of 2 round/level.  And you have to target multiple dudes who are fighting each other, and also within a 10' by 10' area.  And your range is 6 feet/level.  And it has a will save.  Face it: if your fighter has already got the enemy spellcaster in melee, and your wizard is right next to him, and the enemy spellcaster fails a will save, you have better things you could be doing.

Flash of Lightning lasts 1 round/ level.  Which makes it rather less of a battle-ender.  It's still solid (especially with initiate of lathander getting it spontaneously) but not as good as color spray.

Errata also added saves and HD limits (based off a turning roll) to all the positive energy channeling stuff that you could attack people with.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:02:33 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 03:49:30 AM »
Thanks for the helpful info, The_Mad_Linguist!

Do you know where I can find the errata? I googled the Player's Guide stuff, and got something, for example, but nothing mentioning Summon Fey.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 03:51:58 AM »

Only works on non-living matter, I'm sorry to say, so not instakill, unless you decide it works on Undead. Still very useful/broken for all the reasons outlined though.

Object. You turn the ground under the platemail clad fighter (for example) into a smooth metal testtube filled with water. Polymorph the air over the top of the testtube to a big rock in the next round.

How long do you think he can hold his breath?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 04:01:16 AM »
The fey thing is in the 3.5 updte book for aome reason
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 04:04:21 AM »

Object. You turn the ground under the platemail clad fighter (for example) into a smooth metal testtube filled with water. Polymorph the air over the top of the testtube to a big rock in the next round.

That works just fine. I assumed you meant some form of targeted attack.

Poor fighters, they just can't do anything at high levels.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 04:05:51 AM »

Untrue. They can hit things with big metal sticks. If they're rusted, 20 years after the Fighter becomes a stain, the target dies of tetanus.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 04:07:24 AM »

At high levels, the CLERIC gets the testtube treatment.

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 04:10:13 AM »
The fey thing is in the 3.5 updte book for aome reason

Link? Sorry man, my Google-fu seems to be failing me, none of the 3.5 updates that are showing up for Kalamar include the Fey thing.

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 04:17:17 AM »

At high levels, the CLERIC gets the testtube treatment.

What about Water Breathing? Or Water Walk? Or Plane Shift? Or Ethereal Jaunt? Or Word of Recall? The Cleric's much more difficult to trap.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 04:19:00 AM »
He better have Silent Spell then, AND have it prepared.