Author Topic: Improved Evasion at level 2.  (Read 4235 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Improved Evasion at level 2.
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:21:09 AM »
Check your copy of the PHB II. Look at the Teamwork Benefits; more specifically the one that grants you Evasion against your allies' spells; now iirc, the Evasion class feature has a clause that states that if you already have Evasion, you gain Improved Evasion.

It doesn't state that if you have Evasion for only one source of Reflex Saves, you only get Improved Evasion for that source.

So, in essence, you have Improved Evasion at level 2.

Please, if there is a problem with this, please tell me.

Oh, and thank you PBMC for the idea. ;)

[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Re: Improved Evasion at level 2.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:24:46 AM »
The rogue version of Evasion, at least, does not have such a clause.
Neither does the Monk.

So a rogue 2/ monk 2 doesn't have improved evasion either.

You may be thinking of Uncanny Dodge.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:26:26 AM »
The rogue version of Evasion, at least, does not have such a clause.
Neither does the Monk.

So a rogue 2/ monk 2 doesn't have improved evasion either.

You may be thinking of Uncanny Dodge.

A lot of PrCs have this clause I think. 
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 12:27:53 AM »
Alright, so I can enter PrCs that have Evasion as a Prereq... That's still good.

Isn't there a base class with that provision, though?

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 12:34:55 AM »
Going though the List of Stuff for anything that grants Evasion, and not a single one of them grants Improved Evasion if you previously gained Evasion.

To my knowledge, Uncanny Dodge is the only ability that always has that clause.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36:30 AM »
Master Thrower is the only evasion-granting class that stacks to improved evasion.
(at least, that I'm aware of)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:37:38 AM »
Dungeon Delver 4 is an example of a prestige class with that clause tacked onto the evasion, if perhaps not the best example. I don't know any base classes it would apply for, and doubt any exist, but I could be wrong.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:01:05 AM »
I don't think any base class has the clause that improves standard Evasion to Improved Evasion, and only a few PrCs have it.  What you would need in order for this to work is for each party member in question to already have Evasion, and then this ability having the clause granting Improved Evasion, which it doesn't.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 10:01:03 AM »
...But does it really matter? Really?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »
Indeed. And as soon as you loose the teamwork benefit of evasion, you lose all the class features of the PrC requiring evasion.

So no, it doesn't matter at all. Literally.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 12:01:47 PM »
Indeed. And as soon as you loose the teamwork benefit of evasion, you lose all the class features of the PrC requiring evasion.

So no, it doesn't matter at all. Literally.

My point was actually that Reflex based effects that are evadable are trivial as it is. But even if you ignore that, Improved Evasion only works when you fail a save. And everyone that gets Evasion doesn't fail Reflex saves that often. Which means you have something that takes off half of a trivial amount of damage, 5% of the time. In other words, no one gives a fuck.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
True...

But some PrCs require Evasion, and not having to take up levels with obtaining said evasion can be interesting...

"Quick, guys, blast me! I need to use my PrC!"

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 08:12:34 PM »
Familiars and Psicrystals have Improved Evasion at level 1.
I'm sure a Savage Species ritual, could be cooked up, that'll turn Your PC into one of those.
You'll owe your local mafia dude, a small pile of money; luckily with rigid contract.

no access to PHB2 at this point = no idea

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 01:22:51 AM »
Familiars and Psicrystals have Improved Evasion at level 1.
I'm sure a Savage Species ritual, could be cooked up, that'll turn Your PC into one of those.
You'll owe your local mafia dude, a small pile of money; luckily with rigid contract.

no access to PHB2 at this point = no idea

It's stupid, but a level 2 hairy spider adept could probably pick itself to be its own familiar. 

The familiar HP = master's hp/2 thing is either hilariously bad or hilariously good.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 03:04:46 AM »
Are you talking about friendly fire evasion, from Heroes of Battle? 

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 03:21:24 AM »
Thank you Maat, you found the correct source. A source which gives Improved Evasion per teamwork benefits. Which benefits the entire party rather than the one guy taking certain levels in a subpar PrC.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 06:46:44 PM »

It's stupid, but a level 2 hairy spider adept could probably pick itself to be its own familiar. 

So ... how'd I end up with a Kitty Avatar ...  :twitch