Author Topic: Suggestions for CHA based character?  (Read 9094 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: Suggestions for CHA based character?
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »
Well, in that case, screw Draconic and just go full blown half-dragon.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2010, 09:32:43 AM »
He

hehheheh

bwhahahahahaha  :lol

Seriously, though.  You don't take LA voluntarily with Kevin's DM.  Read up a bit on the history of his campaigns.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2010, 09:33:46 AM »
Any chance you could swing Unseelie Fey?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 09:39:21 AM »
Again, only if he qualifies. The DM doesn't care about LA, but you still have to have that in your bloodline from previous cycles, or it has to be added to the character as the campaign goes on. You can't just magically have dragon blood in your system and not have a way for it to get in there, nor can you just make up a reason when you've had four or five characters in previous cycles that weren't dragons, or married to ones. Hence why I said I didn't know if it would possible or not to take it. He does have a silver dragon for a great grandmother, but he did a ritual to change his race from silverbrow human half-janni feytouched to thri-kreen, this cycle. If the ritual got rid of the old blood to make way for the new blood, he won't be able to take it.

Seriously, though.  You don't take LA voluntarily with Kevin's DM.  Read up a bit on the history of his campaigns.
No, no. That's not true. Not completely, anyways. You have a choice of how much of a LA you want to take. If you take all of it, you can choose to take negative levels to offset them all, or you can buy them as the levels progress. It's when you die, and they get added to you that you don't get a choice. You can switch them out for a different LA if you have the money for the ritual though.

Any chance you could swing Unseelie Fey?
I looked at it, but I'm not sure. Might be able to. It'd be kind of 50/50 on that one. He'll be able to access the feytouched template, but that won't be at lvl 1. Although, the DM said he may have found a better way to add LAs at the beginning of the game instead of just giving us negative levels to buy off later.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »
Dude. Mother was a succubus who screwed a silver dragon disguised as a human at the time.

Done.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »
Dude. Mother was a succubus who screwed a silver dragon disguised as a human at the time.

Done.
Only if you're creating your very first character. Otherwise, that $h!t doesn't fly around here. And you can't just invent a background for a pre-established character. The DM makes sure you know exactly what you're getting so that he knows too.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »
So, the succubus was faithful to the husband... I like your DM :)

If I were him, I'd rethink Incubus, and take a look at this: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

Take a look at the half-succubus (in Part 3):
+2 str, +2 dex, +4 int, +8 cha

I am using that template myself for one of my story characters, who is a sorcerer 5/mindbender 1/incantatrix 2.

Then he can be anything else he wants to be, including a Phrenic Nymph (which is likely to send his Cha to the stratosphere). The Phrenic comes from the Thri-Kreen part of his father's make up (Kreens are psionic).

Have fun.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:53 PM »
So, the succubus was faithful to the husband... I like your DM :)

If I were him, I'd rethink Incubus, and take a look at this: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

Take a look at the half-succubus (in Part 3):
+2 str, +2 dex, +4 int, +8 cha

I am using that template myself for one of my story characters, who is a sorcerer 5/mindbender 1/incantatrix 2.

Then he can be anything else he wants to be, including a Phrenic Nymph (which is likely to send his Cha to the stratosphere). The Phrenic comes from the Thri-Kreen part of his father's make up (Kreens are psionic).

Have fun.
Yup. She's very faithful to the husband. Basically how it works is you meet up with an major NPC in the game, and you mate with them after they've fallen in love with you. When the campaign ends, depending on who's playing what gender, someone gives birth. The next campaign starts 16-18 years later and you play your offspring, and the cycle continues.

Looking at it, I seem to be missing the LA aspect of it. What is it? The regular succubus/incubus is a total of 10, but the player only intents on taking the base race part of it for the straight up +8 Cha. Now nymph might be one, if you can happen to get me a lay out of the Savage Species progression. He's out of town this weekend so I can't show him, but it's be interesting to see that, and then put the template on him. He was offered to take the Elan as a base race too, but he didn't want to be a psion. Not with that much Charisma coming at him.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 04:14:55 AM »
All of the templates there are variants of the Half-Fiend template, so it is always LA +4. You are 6 LA less for the same Cha bonus.

The Nymph doesn't have a savage progression in Savage Species, unfortunately, so you will have to find it some other place. I would be surprised if someone hasn't already statted one out.

Elans make extremely dangerous Druids because of their Abberation type. Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike are nasty when you are a massive animal of doom (with spellcasting abilities). But they get a -2 Cha penalty.

Look though the various half-fiends on display. It gives you options other than a high Cha character. It also tells you how to make your own half-fiend of a type not already given.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 08:48:50 PM »
Considering his character's got a way better chance of having a ridiculous CHA over me, I think I'll hold off on my going the sorcerer/paladin/swiftblade this time around. Maybe next time when I've got a better chance at making a character that won't be as outshined, I'll do it. For now, I think I'll take the example of the Hexblade Handbook, and go Medusa Dragonborn for +4 Cha with one Phrenic Creature LA for another +4 CHA, and just go Hexblade 20/Enforcer Paladin 2 (or 3 if I get enough levels opened). If level 25+ comes up, I'll probably take a couple of levels of fighter and the rogue bonus feat variant for the bonus feats and evasion. In the meantime, I'd just have a ring of evasion to make due with.

Although, truthfully, taking a level of Marshal with an aura that can get past SR isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Or damage rolls when flanking, or charging.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:53:01 PM by kevin_video »