Author Topic: Archivist with Acorn  (Read 5832 times)

Gilfanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Archivist with Acorn
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 04:44:50 PM »
You add the wizard spell list to your own through SotAO, get to autoquicken every spell through Battle Blessing, and can persist anything with enough nightsticks. A different flavor/set of abilities, rather than a strictly more powerful build.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 06:22:03 PM »
Ok, time for a complete build...we're human by definition as an Ethran.

Archivist 11/Hathran 9

Feats:
1st-Ethran
Human-Earth Sense
Archivist Bonus-Scribe Scroll
3rd-Earth Spell
6th-Leadership
9th-Extend Spell
Archivist Bonus-Persistent Spell
12th-Node Spellcasting
15th-Metanode Spell
18th-Quicken Spell

We get Heighten Spell for free using Circle Magic, along with Empower and Maximize if we want them, and with Leadership + access to Sims, all the spell levels you want to power things.  Without Arcane Manipulation access, ironically your cantrips can be higher CL than your 9's, but that's ok.  You'll have a LOT of spells to throw around.

Now, to get the most out of the node : use circle magic to raise your CL to 40 base, add 21 for heightening a cantrip 21 levels, add 7 for items (1 Tattoo, 1 Ring, 1 Ioun Stone, 4 Bead of Karma) for a total of 68.  Cast greater consumptive field, bringing that up to 102.  Now make your node.  I don't have the formula in front of me, but I can say with total certainty it's at LEAST class 6, meaning free persisting and free quickening.  The latter is important, as you can now cover the three GOD roles at once each round even without your cohort's input.  You can stun enemies as a move action with no save or SR, buff or BFC as a swift from quicken spell for free, and do the other as a standard.

Lemme know what you think!
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 06:43:23 PM »
Ok, time for a complete build...we're human by definition as an Ethran.

Archivist 11/Hathran 9

Feats:
1st-Ethran
Human-Earth Sense
Archivist Bonus-Scribe Scroll
3rd-Earth Spell
6th-Leadership
9th-Extend Spell
Archivist Bonus-Persistent Spell
12th-Node Spellcasting
15th-Metanode Spell
18th-Quicken Spell

We get Heighten Spell for free using Circle Magic, along with Empower and Maximize if we want them, and with Leadership + access to Sims, all the spell levels you want to power things.  Without Arcane Manipulation access, ironically your cantrips can be higher CL than your 9's, but that's ok.  You'll have a LOT of spells to throw around.

Now, to get the most out of the node : use circle magic to raise your CL to 40 base, add 21 for heightening a cantrip 21 levels, add 7 for items (1 Tattoo, 1 Ring, 1 Ioun Stone, 4 Bead of Karma) for a total of 68.  Cast greater consumptive field, bringing that up to 102.  Now make your node.  I don't have the formula in front of me, but I can say with total certainty it's at LEAST class 6, meaning free persisting and free quickening.  The latter is important, as you can now cover the three GOD roles at once each round even without your cohort's input.  You can stun enemies as a move action with no save or SR, buff or BFC as a swift from quicken spell for free, and do the other as a standard.

Lemme know what you think!

Looks good to me. Circle Magic caps the spell at spell level 20.  Also, while I'm sure my Cohort can cast a level 9 spell, the other four participants provided by leadership are much weaker and contributing a lot less to the Circle.  Thoughts on that?  What are we getting from Hathran 9 that we want?  Level 6 nodes only have to be 600 diameter so we only need caster level 30 for that, easily done.  I do need a way to cast a Wizard 9 spell, but I'm sure that can be done.  I like the fulfilling three GOD roles at once, seems like the plan.  Earth Spell requires Heighten Spell as a prerequisite.  Otherwise this is awesomely awesome.  I would like to take partial credit >_>

Spells needed:
Node Genesis
Acorn of Far Travel
Greater Consumptive Field

Edit:
If Hathran 9 isn't really giving us anything that Hathran 8 wouldn't, we could just do Archivist 11/Hathran 8/Contemplative 1 and get Planning Domain for Extend Spell or something.  That frees up a feat and would allow Heighten Spell to be taken in order to get Earth Spell.  I don't have the book in front of me to check what Hathran 9 gives.

Also, I think Greater Consumptive Field can be supplied by a Hallow though I'll have to look it up to be sure.  Double also, I think you can get another 4 caster levels out of an Ankh of Ascension (I think that's the one, could be wrong)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:40:56 AM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 02:10:15 AM »
Initiate of Mystra requires cleric 3, so you cant qualify as an archivist.

All initiate feats can be met by any spellcaster who uses the Cleric spell list, and must get divine spells from a deity. That's from one of the Dragon-type books (Dragon Magic, I think). It was designed to allow Favoured Souls to qualify for initiate feats, but could also be used for an Archivist if the game world specifies that they MUST pray to a deity for spells. Think FR or similar.

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 02:22:27 AM »

All initiate feats can be met by any spellcaster who uses the Cleric spell list, and must get divine spells from a deity. That's from one of the Dragon-type books (Dragon Magic, I think). It was designed to allow Favoured Souls to qualify for initiate feats, but could also be used for an Archivist if the game world specifies that they MUST pray to a deity for spells. Think FR or similar.

Ahh, found the text in "Dragon Magic".

Quote from: Dragon Magic Page 15
Any character of a class that must select a deity and that uses the cleric spell list for spellcasting can treat his level in that class as if it were a cleric level for the purpose of qualifying for an initiate feat. For example, a favored soul (see Complete Divine) who had chosen Bahamut as his deity and who had reached 3rd level could select the Initiate of Bahamut feat. The character would then gain the benefit of the feat and would add the given spells to his favored soul spell list. Since the favored soul casts from a limited list of spells known, he still must add those spells to his spells known list as normal to cast them.
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 02:40:10 AM »

Any character of a class that must select a deity and that uses the cleric spell list for spellcasting can treat his level in that class as if it were a cleric level for the purpose of qualifying for an initiate feat. For example, a favored soul (see Complete Divine) who had chosen Bahamut as his deity and who had reached 3rd level could select the Initiate of Bahamut feat. The character would then gain the benefit of the feat and would add the given spells to his favored soul spell list. Since the favored soul casts from a limited list of spells known, he still must add those spells to his spells known list as normal to cast them.

In the most technical sense, Archivists don't use the Cleric Spell List.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 02:52:59 AM »

In the most technical sense, Archivists don't use the Cleric Spell List.

Yes, and they also don't technically pray to deities.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2010, 02:57:52 AM »
I still like where this build is going, and I hope Kell hasn't lost interest!

I'm off to look up what Hathran 9 gives us to see if it's worth giving up to make the whole thing tick.

Edit: Hathran 9 is giving us the ability to use our magic an extra time a day when not on home country, which if everything is going to plan will never come up.  I think losing that in order to get Contemplative 1 and gain a feat in order to get Heighten and fix the build is worth it.  Archivist 11 gives us Super Stun and Hathran 8 gives us +1 CL on Planar Binding (which seems fine but I think with this many bonuses is irrelevant).  Still Contemplative 1/Archivist 11/Hathran 8 seems good with the feats Kell posted + Heighten in there somewhere seems to be the way to go.  Maybe I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:05:04 AM by Sobolev »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook