Author Topic: Your Body Is My Fuel - Or Why I Love The Tainted Scholar  (Read 5751 times)

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Your Body Is My Fuel - Or Why I Love The Tainted Scholar
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:00:57 PM »
So I've always had a fascination in books and movies and such where spells take a toll on ones body or you can opt to take a toll on your body in exchange for greater power.

D&D Has a few such abilities but frankly they all blow because the cost to return ratio is terrible. I realized however that that can be taken advantage of. Enter the Body Burner.

Half-Fiend Lesser Tiefling (LA Bough Off Via Savage Progression 1/3 Levels) Outsider (Evil)
32 Point Buy + Racial Mods + Age + Magic Boni: Str 24, Dex 28, Con 22, Int 42, Wis 23, Cha 23

Classes: Wizard 10 (Planar Substitution Levels, Evil)/Tainted Scholar 10
Code: [Select]
Feats:

LVL01   - Corrupt Spell
FLAW    - Spell Focus (Evil)
FLAW    - Malign Spell Focus
CORRUPT - Corrupt Spell Focus/Iron Will
CORRUPT - Greater Corrupt Spell Focus/Reserves of Strength
BONUS   - Scribe Scroll
LVL03   - Spell Focus (Necromancy)
BONUS   - Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy)
LVL06   - Heighten Spell
LVL09   - Extend Spell
LVL12   - Persist Spell
BONUS   - Lunatic Insight
LVL15   - Twin Spell
LVL18   - FREE

Blooded Metamagic (from the Tainted Scholar secrets list) lets you spend your constitution to reduce the cost of applying metamagic to a spell on a 1 for 1 basis. You cant cast spells occupying a higher spell slot than you have access to.

Spell Focus (Evil) and Malign Spell Focus give a +2 DC when casting Evil Spells.

Corrupt Spell makes a Spell Evil for +1 Metamagic.

Wizard Planar Substitution LVL 10 makes all your spells evil and increase their DC by +1 vs anybody with a Good Alignment, if they were already evil (as in, via Corrupt Spell metamagic) they receive a +2 bonus instead.

The Trick: Cast a Corrupt Magic Jar targeting your enemy (a good guy). The DC is going to be 21+1/2 Corruption (though I dont use it since it bah-roken, I just go with +int). Once you've got your new body you can start taking advantage of its separate Con score. We dont care about draining away their constitution because we were going to kill them anyway.

Any Corrupt spells that deal damage to physical stats become Awesome because it just serves to weaken our enemy on top of the spell effect. Consider Red Fester (Corrupt, Evil, and Necromancy? +8 DC, +10 vs Good), Touch attack for 1d6 str and 1d4 cha damage but at the cost of 1d6 str damage, not so hot. Do it via a magic jarred body? It becomes much more interesting. Combine it with Blooded Metamagic? It becomes way sexy.

Cast Suffer the Flesh as a swift action and pour in all the con you can for a +5 CL bonus (and 10 Con Damage to your possessed foe)!

Use Blooded Metamagic to Twin, Heighten spells and Quicken Spells. You can even Persist certain spells. All your spells should be cast with Blooded Metamagic Corrupt Spell on it if they aren't already evil.

If you switch in Reserves of Strength you can cast a Reserves of Strength Suffer the Flesh and put in 20 Con for a +10 to CL, go ahead and Persist that for another 6 Con damage. 26 Con to your host as a swift action? Nice.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:17:09 PM by Ramaloke »
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Your Body Is My Fuel - Or Why I Love The Tainted Scholar
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:48:20 PM »
Eldritch corruption might be a better choice than heighten. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:11:26 PM »
D&D Has a few such abilities but frankly they all blow because the cost to return ratio is terrible.

Except the vitalizing variant, which gives unlimited spells per day

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:41:27 PM »
Eldritch corruption might be a better choice than heighten. 

The goal is to deal ability damage to your host while taking advantage of blooded metamagic and other such effects, so while Eldritch Corruption is a nice option it doesn't really fit the goal since it only works on "allies" which your unwilling host wont qualify as. The other thing about heighten is it provides a nice scaleable metamagic to apply with Blooded Metamagic.

D&D Has a few such abilities but frankly they all blow because the cost to return ratio is terrible.

Except the vitalizing variant, which gives unlimited spells per day

I've always wanted to play that but I've never found a DM willing to use it.
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~