Author Topic: Getting more natural attacks on a Riding Dog.  (Read 2321 times)

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
Getting more natural attacks on a Riding Dog.
« on: November 12, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »
Is there any good way of doing this?  I'm playing an Incarnate, and considering taking Wild Cohort to keep my Magebred Warbeast Riding Dog (With Mighty Steed) semi-viable - was originally going to put it out to pasture in a another level or two, but am reconsidering.  Also, ways of improving the ability of a Riding Dog to trip - using Pathfinder CMB?

(yes I know, probably better companions than a Riding Dog, but I already spent a bundle of gold of psyrefing in Mighty Steed, and fluff-wise, I'm rather attached to him.)
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Getting more natural attacks on a Riding Dog.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 01:48:56 PM »
Shape Soulmeld.
Grafts.
Those feats in Lords of Madness. The Xspawn ones.
A ton of spells.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 04:43:41 PM »
Is there any good way of doing this?  I'm playing an Incarnate, and considering taking Wild Cohort to keep my Magebred Warbeast Riding Dog (With Mighty Steed) semi-viable - was originally going to put it out to pasture in a another level or two, but am reconsidering.  Also, ways of improving the ability of a Riding Dog to trip - using Pathfinder CMB?

(yes I know, probably better companions than a Riding Dog, but I already spent a bundle of gold of psyrefing in Mighty Steed, and fluff-wise, I'm rather attached to him.)

No. You are using Pathfailure, consequently the result of attempting any maneuver such as a trip is that you will fail to perform that maneuver.

No tactics, auto attacks only, FINAL DESTINATION!
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 05:01:59 PM »

No. You are using Pathfailure, consequently the result of attempting any maneuver such as a trip is that you will fail to perform that maneuver.

No tactics, auto attacks only, FINAL DESTINATION!

I hate this bullshit. Pathfinder didn't fix the game, Buhlman couldn't design his way out of a paper bag, neither could the rest of his staff, all are valid arguments. That you can't trip in PF isn't, you can trip in Pathfinder, you may even be more likely to pull off a trip in Pathfinder than in 3.5 but not get the follow up attack.

@Fuinjutsu

To improve your tripping improve anything nearly anything that improves your attack bonus, just max your attack bonus. Unfortunately you can't take improved trip for the +2, but you don't need that feat per se, every time you succeed on an attack you can make a trip attempt. Increasing strength works, feats like weapon focus : Bite will work, but are kind of lack luster. Putting something like Greater Magic Fang on the dog's bite will increase its CMB.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »
Yawn. 30% base success rate says you fail.

Know what moves deserve 30% accuracy? Mother fucking ONE HIT KILL moves.

Trip =/= Fissure.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

fuinjutsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Shape Soulmeld.
Grafts.
Those feats in Lords of Madness. The Xspawn ones.
A ton of spells.

Not sure if DM will let a Dog shape soulmelds, but that was the best plan I had thought of.

Which grafts?  I've looked in several books but couldn't find the relevant ones.

Abberation Blood requires Humanoid.

Any of those spells permanent or instantaneous?  I has no spellcasting myself.

Trip actually succeeded a few times, mostly because i rolled well. 16/17 or so.  Improved trip needing Combat expertise is stupid, IMO.  Maybe the DM will let me waive that, or waive the INT requirement.

The party is all melee  though, so tripping a Guy we're all flanking = So many AoO's as he rises.
Eh, the wizard have more money than them combined, he could in theory just use all his money on a fleet of trained attack mules, but then we aren't playing 3.5 but zergling rushing in Starcraft instead.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »
Yawn. 30% base success rate says you fail.

Know what moves deserve 30% accuracy? Mother fucking ONE HIT KILL moves.

Trip =/= Fissure.

What the fuck are you talking about? I did the maths in this thread a while back, a PF fighter can more reliably put someone on their ass than a 3.5 Fighter. Now you can argue that it's not worth doing in PF because you don't automatically get that follow-up attack after they are tripped, that could be a valid argument. I don't care if you hate Pathfinder, I hate it too, but argue from a fucking honest position.