Author Topic: Adventuring Earth Node  (Read 2692 times)

bearofsmiting

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Adventuring Earth Node
« on: November 11, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »
Hopefully this hasn't already been covered, but, even if it has, it might be time for a good re-hashing. I was looking through Underdark recently when I was reminded of something I had long ago dismissed as impossible; Earth Node magic as a reliable adventuring character concept.

Anyone can see when looking at the node magic specifics that it was meant for one of two things, either (1) an NPC your party encounters who vigilantly guards a single spot aided by the node's power or (2) a PC who's part of a party that regularly adventures in the Underdark who depends on the DM for the occasional discovery of a node stone and the temporary benefits that stone provides till the party continues on.

Obviously, this is a lame character concept, or entirely unworkable, depending on your DM. But I didn't know this forum the first time I dismissed the idea.

So, what I'm looking for here is any way to benefit from the effects of a node and not be tied down to one spot. Although it's not magical in the ordinary sense, I'm guessing it still wouldn't qualify for Shrink Item. What about the possibility of playing a stone golem and casting Node Genesis on yourself? All possibilities are up for consideration. Ok, fellow nifflers, let's hunt for gold.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Adventuring Earth Node
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »
Hopefully this hasn't already been covered, but, even if it has, it might be time for a good re-hashing. I was looking through Underdark recently when I was reminded of something I had long ago dismissed as impossible; Earth Node magic as a reliable adventuring character concept.

Anyone can see when looking at the node magic specifics that it was meant for one of two things, either (1) an NPC your party encounters who vigilantly guards a single spot aided by the node's power or (2) a PC who's part of a party that regularly adventures in the Underdark who depends on the DM for the occasional discovery of a node stone and the temporary benefits that stone provides till the party continues on.

Obviously, this is a lame character concept, or entirely unworkable, depending on your DM. But I didn't know this forum the first time I dismissed the idea.

So, what I'm looking for here is any way to benefit from the effects of a node and not be tied down to one spot. Although it's not magical in the ordinary sense, I'm guessing it still wouldn't qualify for Shrink Item. What about the possibility of playing a stone golem and casting Node Genesis on yourself? All possibilities are up for consideration. Ok, fellow nifflers, let's hunt for gold.
Acorn of Far Travel
/thread

Ramaloke

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 06:50:41 PM »
Also if you arent a druid you can do this:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9928.0
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 06:52:37 PM »

Acorn of Far Travel
/thread

A DM could however reason that Acorn of Far Travel was only meant to give you the forest terrain benefit. What about Astral Projection? Would the effects of the node near your physical body empower your projected one? Or dream travel for that matter. With ranks in the lucid dreaming skill and dream travel spells a wizard could fall asleep in one spot and adventure anywhere else.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 07:10:38 PM »
Take the landlord feat.  Build your stronghold as a flying castle centered around a magical node of arcane power.

Stylish, yet functional.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 07:11:06 PM »

Acorn of Far Travel
/thread

A DM could however reason that Acorn of Far Travel was only meant to give you the forest terrain benefit. What about Astral Projection? Would the effects of the node near your physical body empower your projected one? Or dream travel for that matter. With ranks in the lucid dreaming skill and dream travel spells a wizard could fall asleep in one spot and adventure anywhere else.
The dream travel spell results in you not leaving a physical body behind to be affected by the node.

Furthermore, while lucid dreaming if you try to leave the Dream via a spell it doesn't work because "travelers who leave Dream discover any spells they used on the plane weren't really cast" and "any spells still in effect when a traveler leaves Dream are gone as if they were never cast." That combines to mean that as soon as you leave Dream with a spell, you never actually cast the spell to attempt to leave Dream and thus didn't exit it.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
Are you using the Acorn in conjunction with a Feather Token?

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 08:37:11 PM »

Acorn of Far Travel
/thread

The dream travel spell results in you not leaving a physical body behind to be affected by the node.

Furthermore, while lucid dreaming if you try to leave the Dream via a spell it doesn't work because "travelers who leave Dream discover any spells they used on the plane weren't really cast" and "any spells still in effect when a traveler leaves Dream are gone as if they were never cast." That combines to mean that as soon as you leave Dream with a spell, you never actually cast the spell to attempt to leave Dream and thus didn't exit it.

I think the intention was that spells aren't used when you leave Dream through the Portal of Sleep. After all, most wizards don't have ranks in lucid dreaming, therefore don't realize they're asleep, and therefore would never cast something like Dream Travel having entered Dream through the Portal of Sleep. Even so, I could just have a cohort or ally cast Dream Travel from a scroll, find me in Dream, and bring me out magically themselves.

In either case, is it sensible that I should benefit from the Node's power if my sleeping or stasis-projecting body is near the Node but my playable self is somewhere else? Of course magic can effect the helpless body in either case, but does than mean benefits to that body would be benefits to my playable body?

bearofsmiting

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 08:40:51 PM »
Take the landlord feat.  Build your stronghold as a flying castle centered around a magical node of arcane power.

Stylish, yet functional.

As much as the idea amuses me, the stronghold doesn't really solve the problem here. I'm trying not to lug around a giant rock, even if my "lugging" is very stylish and the "rock" is nicely furnished.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »
Even if your rock is heavily armed and armored?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »

Stylish, yet functional.

As much as the idea amuses me, the stronghold doesn't really solve the problem here. I'm trying not to lug around a giant rock, even if my "lugging" is very stylish and the "rock" is nicely furnished.

Use the rock as a component in making a throne?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.