Author Topic: The Prologue (1941) - Part I  (Read 98341 times)

jacemachine

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Powered by Coffee. Driven by Insanity--
    • MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
Re: The Prologue (1941)
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 05:26:52 PM »
Wilkes general amusement falters, and his eyes narrow for just a moment.

"What do you propose then, Signor Russo..." He clears his throat. "...or are you going to back out?" Both League of Nations men stare at him unsmiling.

Outside the cry of a gull can be heard, punctuating the moment of silence as all the attention in the room is directed towards Russo.

"This isn't unlike other expeditions. You aren't just delivered to a site and start digging as you may have experience perhaps in your college days. There is always risk when traveling through any jungle. Yes. There are Nazis. But remove them from the equation and I don't see how this expedition really differs." The Frenchman states matter-of-fact.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:45:33 PM by jacemachine »
Current PbP Games
The Artifact (Prologue) as GM
[d20M] Isle Noir: Bad Karma as GM

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, playing as Father Ezekiel Ambrose

"When the GM smiles, it's already too late." --Anonymous Doomed Gamer

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • a scarily accurate self protrait... no seriously
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 06:25:33 PM »
[spoiler] [/spoiler]

"let me make one thing clear to you two... gentlemen" he returned their gaze levelly and unfaltering, his smirk turning to a little sneer,

"I don't work for the good of a nation, or several nations even, I don't work for ideals or philosophies," he paused and took a long drag on his cigarette

"I don't work for men who drag me down from Italy for this ridiculousness, I work for a paycheck, or possibly a beautiful woman on my arm" he added under his breath

"If it wasn't for a few favors I owe people I wouldn't be here on this stinking ship to a dangerous jungle, unfortunately my previous livelihood is down the jon, so make this worth my while gentlemen, for your own sake as much as mine" he flicked the ash from his fast receding cigarette onto an open folder on the table, and leaned forward further

"tell me and my colleagues here, what exactly are we looking for, Hitler is insane no doubt about it, but he isn't stupid, If he wants this thing then it must be worth something as opposed to nothing, I'm not trying the chisel you folks I just want this straight and to be payed well for what it's worth, so level with me, what is it?"
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

"Go Beyond The Impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's the Die Gurren way!!"
"Whether it's laughable or irrational
This is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our bear hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!"

ORE GA DARE DA TO OMOTE YARU!!!!!!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »
"I have to agree with my namesake here. If you expect us to risk our lives, you'd better be open and honest about everything there is to know about this mission."
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Neull//

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 06:47:40 PM »
Max listens carefully to his employers until the name of the American guide is mentioned.

""
Knowledge (streetwise): 22
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1995474/

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 07:07:52 PM »
Richard gets tired of listening to the bickering, he is there for the love of queen and country.  He leans back in his chair, tilts his hat forward, and closes his eyes.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »
"Eisen Abendroth, please call me Eisen. Nazi's are not a problem. I obtained those letters acting as a saboteur and spy against the Germans, being a pure-blooded German myself. My low-profile work means that whilst I'm not recognized, I think I can speak our way out of any problems, and they are not inclined to this climate either, so their attentions will not be... perfect. And as Mr. John... we must find a way around those names... in any case, as Mr. John said, we can always kill them. The jungles will hold easily concealed graves, and animals will probably deal with them in short time.

I agree that we should know what the item of mention is, but I also must point out that you cannot just return. Not a one of us honestly looks like sailors, we must keep that in mind. The Nazi's appreciate tips from any eyes they don't have to own. If we are seen not part of the crew, but only stopping here to return, they'll worry about intelligence leaking, and that will endanger the rest of us, as well as sign your own execution forms. I'm afraid we must continue, paycheck size and women subject to survival and chance respectively. But I agree, we must not have any questions as to what the dangers are, and what it is we are looking for. Also, is it an option just to destroy it?"

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 09:37:16 PM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

"humph" Russo snorted with dissatisfaction and leaned back against the sofa, flicking the butt of his cigarette out the window ((just in case))

"do you really expect us to succeed, we still only have a few rough landmarks to place us on the right path, do we even know where to go after we actually hit land?"

he breathed a huge sigh, and crossed his arms considered drawing another cigarette but descied against it, they would probably have to last him a while

"but either way I don't suppose I have a choice, I'm still in, I'm just expressing my frustration, and if it helps call me Russo"

he turned to the man he now knew as Eisen still eyeing the two suits distrustingly
"I knew you were german or something, yes, call me Russo, and don't worry I have no objection to killing, just as long as I get payed for it"

((would I need to roll a bluff check for that splash of bravado?))
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

"Go Beyond The Impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's the Die Gurren way!!"

jacemachine

• Powered by Coffee. Driven by Insanity--
    • MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 10:21:51 PM »
"You said it yourself Monsieur, your former career is in la toilette and what have you to show? We thought that you wanted to be here because you saw a way to rebuild. However if it only money that you care about, then you will have to collect upon your return. We have not been given any money to give you, as it would not be how you say... prudent, to bring along such on such a vessel as this. Pour l'amour d'un Dieu." DuMont throws his hands in the air and rises from the table.

"Charles. Would you please step outside?" Wilkes says without a hint of question in his voice.

DuMont exclaims, the tone of his voice clearly frustration. Before he leaves the room, he turns to Abendroth, He motions half-heartedly towards his cup. He smirks,
The door shuts behind him.

"I'm sorry about that." Wilkes says, shrugging his shoulders. "Charlie is hot-headed." He downs his cup of coffee with one final swallow. "Signor Russo, there is no need to be so cut-throat. In addition to any prior arrangements you have already made with the League, If you need help with your expenses once this has past, I'm sure I know of a few fellows in the League who would be willing to help you out with your finances." Wilkes addresses the rest of the group.

"We don't know exactly what Hitler is after, but we don't think he does either exactly. It is believed that after taking possession of the Dunning Letters

[Sense Motive check please, but this is to set your minds at ease about Wilkes. An additional roll for Russo Bluff is optional!]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:23:39 PM by jacemachine »
Current PbP Games
The Artifact (Prologue) as GM
[d20M] Isle Noir: Bad Karma as GM

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, playing as Father Ezekiel Ambrose

"When the GM smiles, it's already too late." --Anonymous Doomed Gamer

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 10:29:13 PM »
[spoiler]
Sense Motive: 15

I'm not actually asleep.
[/spoiler]
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 11:46:31 PM »
Snickering at Charles' statement to him...
[spoiler]Sense Motive: 16 vs Wilkes
Sense Motive: 18 vs Russo :D[/spoiler]

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 01:48:47 AM »
Listening quietly through all the bickering, Dr. Loder continues observing the men who will be his companions for the next leg of this expedition.

[spoiler]Sense Motive = 13[/spoiler]
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 06:03:36 AM »
"and if it helps call me Russo"

"And you can call me Kestrel if you want."

[spoiler]Sense Motive: 21[/spoiler]
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Neull//

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 06:21:14 AM »

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 07:35:46 AM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sense motive: 15

Bluff: 15

"all right, so we have a guide. If, and thats a big if, we can find him. As for the money that fine by me, so long as I survive this, you are lucky I'm so curious about this artifact, It's Mayan right? I'm more of an Egyptian and Semitic scholar than bronze age Aztecian. So we have almost no information about it at all?"

Russo listens for an answer the smell of the coffee stings his nose and sea air does little to alleviate it as he leans towards the table, grabbing for one of the maps on the table and shuffling for the equipment list as he studies the map of the bay, anticipating any fallout, he knew people wouldn't be happy with him, he just didn't care, he wanted to get out of this alive, and hopefully make enough money to buy back his plane.

"so say we do run in to these other adventurers, do we shoot first go with the bulge or do we try and outmaneuver them? Can we even expect any back up if this goes queer? Suppose we all get ribbed up or killed? what then?"

[spoiler]
Sense Motive: 18 vs Russo :D

((yeah I think you sensed his inflated bravado there, so it's pretty obvious to you that he either hasn't killed many people or he really does have a problem with it))
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:04:11 AM by Tarotdragoon »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Tarotdragoon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2009, 08:34:07 AM »
((awww sorry guys that was a terrible double post))
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:02:15 AM by Tarotdragoon »
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

jacemachine