Author Topic: The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook by Bastian with PlzBreakMyCampaign's help  (Read 109019 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
The Golden Helm Guild (PHBII, p. 174) provides 10% reduction in xp cost (requires affiliation score 30 or higher).

Darkspire College and 'The one and the five' (same book) offer 10% discount while creating magic items (both require affiliation score 21 or higher).
Note that you can only benefit from one kind of affilian benefit per day.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

SKRP

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
The Golden Helm Guild (PHBII, p. 174) provides 10% reduction in xp cost (requires affiliation score 30 or higher).

Darkspire College and 'The one and the five' (same book) offer 10% discount while creating magic items (both require affiliation score 21 or higher).
Note that you can only benefit from one kind of affilian benefit per day.

Can Schism solve this problem? ;)

fauntix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • In search for the legendary "I win button" ~Lilium
    • Email
Feat Name                         Source           Prerequisite
Attune magic weapon            ECS 50      Feat:Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Character Level >= 5
Bind Elemental         ECS 51      Feat:Craft Wondrous Item; Spell Caster >= 9
Craft Aboleth Glyph      LoM 22      Spell caster 5; Racial Feat
Craft Alchemical Item      UA 99              Skill:Craft (Alchemy) >= 4
Craft Cognizance Crystal   XPH 44      Manifester Level >= 3
Craft Construct         MM4 202      Feat:Craft Wondrous Item; Feat:Craft Magic Arms and Armor
Craft Contingent Spell      CAr 77      Spell Caster >= 11
Craft Crystal Weapon      OA 61      Spell Caster >= 7; Feat:Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Skill: Craft (Weaponsmithing) >= 4
Craft Dorje                 XPH 44      Manifester Level >= 5
Craft Magic Arms and Armor   PH 92              Spell Caster >= 5
Craft Psicrown         XPH 44      Manifester Level >= 12
Craft Psionic Arms and Armor   XPH 44      Manifester Level >= 5
Craft Psionic Construct      XPH 45      Feat:Craft Psionic Arms and Armor; Feat:Craft Universal Item
Craft Psionic Seal              LoM 69      Ability:Int >= 15; Spell Caster >= 7
Craft Rod                 PH 92              Spell Caster >= 9
Craft Rune Circle              RS 137      Spell Caster >= 5
Craft Scepter         LE 8              To Be Added
Craft Skull Talisman      Fr 47              Spell Caster >= 6
Craft Staff                 PH 92              Spell Caster >= 12
Craft Talisman         OA 6              Ability:Int >= 13; Skill:Craft (Talisman or simular); Spell Caster >= 1
Craft Universal Item      XPH 45      Manifester Level >= 3
Craft Wand                 PH 92              Spell Caster >= 5
Craft Wondrous Item      PH 92              Spell Caster >= 3
Create Portal         FRCS 34      Feat:Craft Wondrous Item
Grell alchemy         LOM 114      Skill:Knowledge (Dungeoneering) >= 2; Ability:INT >= 13; Spell Caster >=1
Improved Flight Item*      Sh 157      None
Sanctify Relic         MIC 222      Spell Caster >= 7; Feat Type:Item Creation >= 1
Tattoo Magic         LD 189-190     Skill:Craft (Calligraphy) or Craft (Painting); Spell Caster >= 3
Current PCs:
Level 2 Artificer
Level 11 Rogue

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Feat Name                         Source           Prerequisite
Attune magic weapon            ECS 50      Feat:Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Character Level >= 5
Bind Elemental         ECS 51      Feat:Craft Wondrous Item; Spell Caster >= 9
Craft Aboleth Glyph      LoM 22      Spell caster 5; Racial Feat
Craft Alchemical Item      UA 99              Skill:Craft (Alchemy) >= 4
Craft Cognizance Crystal   XPH 44      Manifester Level >= 3
Craft Construct         MM4 202      Feat:Craft Wondrous Item; Feat:Craft Magic Arms and Armor
Craft Contingent Spell      CAr 77      Spell Caster >= 11
Craft Crystal Weapon      OA 61      Spell Caster >= 7; Feat:Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Skill: Craft (Weaponsmithing) >= 4
Craft Dorje                 XPH 44      Manifester Level >= 5
Craft Magic Arms and Armor   PH 92              Spell Caster >= 5
Craft Psicrown         XPH 44      Manifester Level >= 12
Craft Psionic Arms and Armor   XPH 44      Manifester Level >= 5
Craft Psionic Construct      XPH 45      Feat:Craft Psionic Arms and Armor; Feat:Craft Universal Item
Craft Psionic Seal              LoM 69      Ability:Int >= 15; Spell Caster >= 7
Craft Rod                 PH 92              Spell Caster >= 9
Craft Rune Circle              RS 137      Spell Caster >= 5
Craft Scepter         LE 8              To Be Added
Craft Skull Talisman      Fr 47              Spell Caster >= 6
Craft Staff                 PH 92              Spell Caster >= 12
Craft Talisman         OA 6              Ability:Int >= 13; Skill:Craft (Talisman or simular); Spell Caster >= 1
Craft Universal Item      XPH 45      Manifester Level >= 3
Craft Wand                 PH 92              Spell Caster >= 5
Craft Wondrous Item      PH 92              Spell Caster >= 3
Create Portal         FRCS 34      Feat:Craft Wondrous Item
Grell alchemy         LOM 114      Skill:Knowledge (Dungeoneering) >= 2; Ability:INT >= 13; Spell Caster >=1
Improved Flight Item*      Sh 157      None
Sanctify Relic         MIC 222      Spell Caster >= 7; Feat Type:Item Creation >= 1
Tattoo Magic         LD 189-190     Skill:Craft (Calligraphy) or Craft (Painting); Spell Caster >= 3
I'm sorry but the formating of the prerequisites is so bad that I really can't use them. The good thing is you motivated me to copy paste the prerequisites from Dandello.

As to the other things, I need to decide what to do with guilds/affiliations (either include only the highest one or make a section for them separately) and I will include Dark Craft XP/GP, I just need to write up a section for it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:17:22 PM by Bastian »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Might want to mention the weapon templates in DMG 2 with their affinities.  Some of them can be used to save some cash on weapons and armor.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

LargePrime

• Curious George
And retraining.  A 100 (50 X 2, there and back) GP retrain can save you thousands.  It's a day trip for your dedicated wright will finish it for you.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
So I've decided to make a will be integrated into the handbook further section to recognize all of your additions and I've added you all to the special thanks section.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
Re: The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook by Bastian with PlzBreakMyCampaign's help
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »
1 cubic ft./level of any resource, for only 1500 gp cost (before reductions). Dragonomicon (page 278) stats that 1 cubic foot can contain about 12000 loosely stacked coins.
If we get those in Platinum, and assume the scroll is made at CL 15, we get 1,800,000 gp worth of PP, at the cost of 1500 gp.
That's a increase of 1200 times what you started with. The 10 ft. pole/ ladder trick only doubles your money each cycle, and the salt cow doesn't break times 5.
Further more, the Salt cow and ladder tricks can be stop be the DM saying the location your in is out of cows/ladders. With this, I can use one scroll to make the supplies in need to make hundreds of scrolls.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook by Bastian with PlzBreakMyCampaign's help
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2010, 08:36:59 PM »
Salt cow is unnecessary. Walt of Salt is a level lower and outproduces the cows per casting.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2010, 08:51:57 PM »
Salt cow is unnecessary. Walt of Salt is a level lower and outproduces the cows per casting.
Does it outproduce 1.8 million?
Quotes [spoiler]
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2010, 12:06:16 AM »
Does it outproduce 1.8 million?
No, several hundred thousand. True Creation is still more efficient.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2010, 12:07:56 AM »
Sorry, I was just using guidance of the avatar on my forgery check.  I now own all your base for the indefinite future.

Planetouched Handbook

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2010, 06:53:03 PM »
1 cubic ft./level of any resource, for only 1500 gp cost (before reductions). Dragonomicon (page 278) stats that 1 cubic foot can contain about 12000 loosely stacked coins.
If we get those in Platinum, and assume the scroll is made at CL 15, we get 1,800,000 gp worth of PP, at the cost of 1500 gp.
That's a increase of 1200 times what you started with. The 10 ft. pole/ ladder trick only doubles your money each cycle, and the salt cow doesn't break times 5.
Further more, the Salt cow and ladder tricks can be stop be the DM saying the location your in is out of cows/ladders. With this, I can use one scroll to make the supplies in need to make hundreds of scrolls.
I'll probably add the XP cost reduction one, just give me a few days to think over the arguments in my head because while xp might not be a real world value, cost is a real world value and in this case it's more of an xp cost than xp with xp just what you have to use as a cost.

As for the cow to salt trick, I generally avoid the infinite money tricks but I'll need to think on it more.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2010, 09:21:08 PM »
I believe one of the books mentioned xp reductions stacking as flat multiplication - after all xp is already calculated based uopn (base cost *multipler), so it would be really dumb to do the (1-multiplier)
Planetouched Handbook

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2010, 09:29:29 PM »
I believe one of the books mentioned xp reductions stacking as flat multiplication
[citation needed]
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »
It's also a percentage, and the "multipliers" refers to the standard "two times, three times" or whatever.
Planetouched Handbook

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2010, 09:47:56 PM »
It's also a percentage, and the "multipliers" refers to the standard "two times, three times" or whatever.
2 times = 200%
2.5 times = 250%
3 times = 300%
ect. ect.
Percentages act as multipliers.
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2010, 09:49:51 PM »
Do you have a source for that?
Planetouched Handbook

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »
Do you have a source for that?
Basic Math I know from back in elementary school.
Quotes [spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2010, 10:44:17 PM »
Yes, but DND math isn't basic math.
Planetouched Handbook