Author Topic: The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook by Bastian with PlzBreakMyCampaign's help  (Read 109022 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: The Complete Item Creation Handbook by Bastian & PlzBreakMyCampaign
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2010, 05:40:35 PM »
works as a timer for stored, long-duration spells
Seems to indicate that.

Magic traps are still more cost efficient, though.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:08 PM »
works as a timer for stored, long-duration spells
Seems to indicate that.

Magic traps are still more cost efficient, though.
This says otherwise (note both are fluff text).
A spell clock might combine with a construct or guardian to create a permanently buffed creature; it casts stoneskin and spider climb every 2 hours, for example, or invisibility once per day.
Also don't magic traps need to be activated.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2010, 08:16:32 PM »
By touching something, with automatic reset.
Planetouched Handbook

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2010, 09:54:01 PM »
Posted so that this can be turned into a graft handbook at PlzBreakMyCampaign's leisure.

[-b]Graft Feats Paraphrased:[/b]

Deathless Grafter (MoE 46): [specific region elf, caster level 5, knowledge (religion)2] allows deathless grafts

Eldeen Plantgrafter (MoE 47): [caster level 5, knowledge (nature) 4] allows plant grafts

Graft Flesh (FF 207): Allows you to make the following grafts: aboleth beholder fiendish illithid undead yuanti (must be that race except undead and beholder grafts)

Graft Flesh (LoM 216): Adds Slithar grafts that do not require you to be one

Graft Illithid Flesh (Und 25): The prereq is illithid and 10 ranks in heal but your can racial emulation this feat which specifically allows you to graft illithid grafts!

Graft Yuan-Ti Flesh (SK 146): Same as above exactly, just with a different race

Wyrmgrafter (RotD 101): in addition to the usual 10 heal ranks you will need 5 arcana. No other requirements.

[-b]Graft Rule Confusion:[/b]

It appears the original graft rules (LOM, LM) have been imported to 'generic' status from the original campaign-specific Magic of Eberron additional restrictions. However this goes back and forth about as much as the polymorph and wild-shape stuff, but without the consolidated revisions.

Though there are logical middle-way interpretations I am going to assume your DM will either go by the 'only up to 5 grafts and they must be the same type' restrictions or will not. Since this restriction simply increases bookkeeping without rhyme or reason, I will be using the 'cross campaign' interpretation to ignore the Eberron restrictions. This may preclude the stacking DR bonuses and such from the more exclusive grafts.

You should also see your DM about polymorph and the graft feat prerequisites. Basically the few graft types say they should only be able to be done by members of that race is silly. If getting around this with polymorph or Wildshape is cheesy then simply ask that the race prerequisite be removed. Either the DM is going to be a RAW nazi and allow the cheese or not and drop the prereq.

The last thing you will want is to have someone else create those grafts for you. Why? Because you are a Item Crafter and you have all the tools to do it better than anyone ever dreamed. Paying for it is wildly inefficient.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[-b]Why Grafts?[/b]

Unlike all other magic items, grafts can't be lost. They can't be dispelled or disjunctioned. Like armor, they can't be sundered. Most of their benefits are untyped, Ex bonuses that stack with everything and cannot be supressed even by an Anti-Magic Field.

They are part of you. You can't have them palmed (aka sleight of hand) away or stolen. You can't lose them. Unless you are disabled for long periods of time by an enemy who knows specifically how to remove the grafts, you don't have anything to worry about - except the cost. But wait. You get to craft things at ridiculously low rates. I guess you don't have to worry about the cost much now.

[-b]Grafts in Races of the Dragon:[/b] (all draconic one require the wyrmgrafter feat)

Buffeting Wings [Arms]
light load flight as long as you don't have a non-buckler shield
replaces flying speed and maneuverability
2 d4 slam attacks while on the ground
-8hp, -2dex, 100,000 cost (overland flight or flight of the dragon)

Dragonbone Legs [Legs]
+4 climb,jump&swim
-4hp, 8,000 cost (bull's strength)

Dragonheart Presence [Flesh]
paralysis immunity
dragon's frightfull presence immunity
+2 bluff,diplmacy,gather information&intimidate for dragonblood subtype creatures
-4hp, 12k gp (remove paralysis)

Frightful Crest [Head]
Upon attacking or charging all enemies within 30' with HD less than you are panicked, other as shacken (will DC=10+.5HD+cha). It is mind-affecting fear as a dragon's frightful presence
-6hp, 28k gp (fear)

Glaring Eye [Head]
30' blindsens
+2search&spot
immunity to magical sleep
-2hp, 10k gp (sense of the dragon)

Gleaming Scales [Skin]
+1nat (stacking) enhancement
+5 chosen energy type
-4hp, 9k gp (dragonskin)

Metabolic Fire [Flesh]
   Requires 1 other draconic graft...
30' con or 60' line breath weapon
6d8, (reflex DC=10+.5hd+con)
-6hp, 56k gp (dragon breath)

Resilient Scales [Skin]
resist 30 of 1 energy type
   if this is more than the first draconic graft u have this graft counts as 2 for the DR

calculation
-6hp, 70k gp (resist energy)

Smashing Tail [Legs]
1d8 slam @3/2 str bonus
+2 balance&swim
-4hp, 30k gp (bull's strength)

Taloned Arm [Arms]
1d6 claw
-2hp, 34k gp, (magic fang)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[-b]Grafts in Magic of Eberron:[/b]
Deathless Grafts: (Deathless Grafter feat)

Arms of the Ancestor [

[-b]Elemental grafts:[/b]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[-b]Grafts in Faiths of Eberron:[/b]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[-b]Grafts in Libris Mortis:[/b]

[-b]Grafts in Lords of Madness:[/b]

[-b]Silithar Grafts[/b]
Silithar Bones/Muscles/Tendons give a +2 unnamed bonus to Con/Str/Dex respectively for 110,000gp
Flexible Spine gives a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Escape Artist, Tumble and Initiative for 91,000gp
Chitin Plating gives +1...+5 natural armor bonus for varying price (4,000-100,000)
Extended Legs increase base land speed by 5 ft and increase height by 5% (though don't change size category) 91,000gp
Healing Blood gives Fast Healing 2 for 182,000gp
Rudimentary Eyespots give +4 racial bonus on Spot Checks and can no longer be flanked for 60,000gp
Silithar Heart grants 1/day healing of 4d8+20 when between 1hp and -9hp inclusive.  Activates automatically.  91,000gp

[-b]Aboleth Grafts[/b] all wither away in 1d4+1 days unless applied to a creature transformed by an Aboleth's mucus.  This greatly restricts their use for PC's.
Amphibious Skin can only be applied to creatures with the Aquatic subtype.  It gives the ability to breathe air as well as water for 30,000gp
Ink Sac creates an Ink Cloud 1/minute as a free action, but only useful underwater.  9,000gp
Mucus Projector allows a touch attack with a 30ft range every 1d4 rounds.  A successful hit forces a Fort save (DC=10+1/2Hd+Con modifier) or the target is affected as though by Aboleth mucus.  36,000gp
The Water Jet allows a creature to double their swim speed for 1 round at a time 1/minute.  2,500gp

[-b]Illithid Grafts[/b] bestow a cumulative -4 penalty on saves against mind affecting spells, powers, and abilities.
Burrowing Claws give a burrow speed of 20ft through anything with a hardness of 8 or less and cause unarmed strikes to deal lethal damage.  They do, however, give a -4 penalty on Disable Device, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand checks.  30,000gp
Darksight Eyes give Darkvision 60ft.  24,000gp
Mind Blast Relay makes you immune to Mind Blasts.  Illithids can automatically sense Mind Blast Relays with their telepathy.  If you're within 20ft of them, they can have the Mind Blast originate from you at the cost of a save DC that is 2 lower.  If there is another Mind Blast Relay within 20ft of you, they can treat that one as the point of origin for the Mind Blast, although each successive relayreduces the save DC by 2.  50,000gp

[-b]Grafts in Fiend Folio:[/b]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2010, 12:20:27 AM »
Unlike all other magic items, grafts can't be lost.
Well, except for a -2, cursed weapon of legacy intelligent item familiar with spellblade(limited wish).  

I'm pretty sure a wish or a miracle could get rid of grafts as well, so whatever.
Planetouched Handbook

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2010, 10:06:10 AM »
Wasnt there a machine in BoVD that replaced your limbs with grafts? im sure that can remove a graft

bugmenot

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2010, 04:18:04 PM »
Chamber of Speed from Stronghold builders guidebook.

Chamber of Speed: Any creature entering this room acts as if under the influence of a haste spell. The
main reason for having a room such as this is so that you can get things done more quickly. Those extra partial actions add up after a while. Most tasks can be completed in about half the normal time.
Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, haste; Market Price: 15,000 gp.

Wouldn't this cut crafting time in half?

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
Chamber of Speed from Stronghold builders guidebook.

Chamber of Speed: Any creature entering this room acts as if under the influence of a haste spell. The
main reason for having a room such as this is so that you can get things done more quickly. Those extra partial actions add up after a while. Most tasks can be completed in about half the normal time.
Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, haste; Market Price: 15,000 gp.

Wouldn't this cut crafting time in half?
In 3.5 there is no such thing as partial actions. The new haste spell can be read in the SRD. In case you don't want to read it, there would be no benefit to crafting time.

bugmenot

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
I guess, since there are no rules for long duration haste spells and extended tasks it would probably be up to the DM. Or as you claim by a strict reading of RAW

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2010, 11:00:20 PM »
I guess, since there are no rules for long duration haste spells and extended tasks it would probably be up to the DM. Or as you claim by a strict reading of RAW
There are rules for long duration haste; they are just exactly the same as the short duration haste. I'm not sure why you claim that I'm using RAW since in this case RAI is the same as RAW since 3.0 haste was just too powerful.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »
Dragon 350: Artificer's Dump Magical location: On a DC18 Search check, discount your next creation's cost by 10%.  Recharges 1/month.

Equivalent GP value : 8000
Planetouched Handbook

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2010, 06:21:49 PM »
Dragon 350: Artificer's Dump Magical location: On a DC18 Search check, discount your next creation's cost by 10%.  Recharges 1/month.

Equivalent GP value : 8000
Nice. Adding that now.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Re: The Complete Cost Reducer Handbook by Bastian & PlzBreakMyCampaign
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2010, 06:25:28 PM »
Renamed the Handbook so it would have a more appropriate name and added in the Blazing Forge planar touchstone. Also did some re-arranging.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: The Complete Cost Reduction Handbook by Bastian & PlzBreakMyCampaign
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
Thought Bottle ... belongs on the exp reducer list. It's a little tricky to use more than once, and more than just one point in a build. The 500 exp burn, done multiple times, would really stack up.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2010, 07:12:45 PM »
Thought Bottle ... belongs on the exp reducer list. It's a little tricky to use more than once, and more than just one point in a build. The 500 exp burn, done multiple times, would really stack up.

Adding that now.

Edit: Done and added you to the contributers list.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:28:09 PM by Bastian »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2010, 01:55:54 AM »

Can you just use two, and only ever permanently pay 500?
Planetouched Handbook

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »

I...I think you can...0_o
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2010, 11:39:25 PM »

Very, nice idea. Added.

LargePrime

• Curious George
Re: Requirements
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2010, 03:22:27 AM »
Please note that an artificer can not use caster level boosting items since artificer doesn't have a caster level, they only have an "effective caster level" "for (the) purposes of meeting item prerequisites".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:29:51 AM by LargePrime »

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
As an artificer doesn't cast spells he has no more reason to have a caster level than fighter or rogue does, he just has an effective caster level for item crafting.