Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138430 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #660 on: November 14, 2010, 12:29:58 AM »
Q 207 Is there a list somewhere of what does and doesn't count as associated and non-associated classes for monsters? This includes PrCs. I know about ranger and fighter, and a few other classes that should be +1, but I'm reading that for a succubus two levels of fighter only increases their CR by +1 because they don't like to fight. That rogues and bards would be a straight up +1, etc.
No list.  Just eyeball it.

Basically: if the class helps the monster do what it already does, it's associated.  If it doesn't, it's nonassociated.

So if your monster makes a sucky cleric, at least you get twice as much sucky cleric for the same price.
What about when it says it's a favored class, but still doesn't look like it'd help very much? Like in Savage Tides there's a Succubus bard/thrall of Malcanthet. I thought for sure both would be associated classes, but the PrC wasn't. Despite it giving bonuses to her skills, and everything that makes a succubus what it is (it even turns you into a succubus at lvl 9 if you aren't one already), plus adding to her bard class's dominance and suggestion abilities, it was still only 1/2.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #661 on: November 14, 2010, 03:26:16 AM »
Q208: theres a thread that tells ways to get different class abilities and such, like evasion or mettle for instance.   i cant seem to find it... help?

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #663 on: November 14, 2010, 05:46:59 AM »
B. I think it is calculated separately for each casting class. It's not really an ongoing effect, since it can't be dispelled, etc. So you can't really invoke the stacking rules.
Since it's not an ongoing effect, it shouldn't have memory of which class/CL/etc. casts the spell.

Let's say you're Wiz 1/Clr 3/MT 6, so your Wizard level is 7, Cleric level is 9.  No Practiced Spellcaster.

Cast Animate Dead from your Wizard 7 side to animate 10 HD of undead, you now have 10/28 HD of undead under your control.

Cast Animate Dead from your Cleric 9 side to animate 15 more HD of undead, you now have 25/36 HD of undead under your control via Animate Dead.  There's no check to see if it was your Wizard side or Cleric side casting the spell the first time.

Cast Animate Dead from your Wizard 7 side again to animate 10 more HD of undead.  This is where it gets weird, as you now either have 35/36 HD commanded or 35/28 HD commanded, and have to choose and let go of 7 HD of undead previously commanded.  By my interpretation, I think the latter actually happens.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #664 on: November 14, 2010, 05:59:16 AM »
Q 209: Assuming Psicrystal get feats, would a Psicrystal taking something like Psionic Body or Improved Toughness gain more HPs or it'll still have "hp 1/2 master's"? ???
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #665 on: November 14, 2010, 06:38:35 AM »
Q183:  Any cool luck-themed magic items, or items that could be changed easily to be luck/fortune themed?
The ones I've found are the luckstone and blade and then the bevy of "re-roll this 1/day" ones.  But, I was wondering if there was something else useful. 

Here are some:
  • Complete Champion: Bracers of divine luck, robe of the vagabond, sandals of the vagabond
  • Races of Faerun: Catseye broach
  • Epic Level Handbook: Robes of resisting enchantment (page 305)

I'm surprised a +5 luck bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells and effects only costs 6,250 gp. 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #666 on: November 14, 2010, 09:27:23 AM »
agabond[/li]
[li]Races of Faerun: Catseye broach[/li][/list]
Also in MIC.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #667 on: November 14, 2010, 09:58:20 AM »
This question is more of a time/precedence issue (though, a bit of semantics is involved):
Q210
Can an Arcane Disciple (cleric variant from drag.mag.311) use his "arcane-to-divine" class feature to gain Arcane Fusion?

Here's the deal -- the ability says "may choose one arcane spell from either the bard or sorc/wiz spell list".  However, this pre-dates the very concept of "sorcerer-only" spells by 3 years.  Additionally, while it is a sorcerer-only spell, it does appear on the sorc/wiz spell list (albeit with the noted exception).

So, basically, is there anything that addresses this precedence? 

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #668 on: November 14, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
Q 211 How would you go about making a magic item of Wraithstrike, permanent? Or can you with it only being 1 round. Can you even make it into an item?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #669 on: November 14, 2010, 10:16:44 AM »
This question is more of a time/precedence issue (though, a bit of semantics is involved):
Q210
Can an Arcane Disciple (cleric variant from drag.mag.311) use his "arcane-to-divine" class feature to gain Arcane Fusion?

Here's the deal -- the ability says "may choose one arcane spell from either the bard or sorc/wiz spell list".  However, this pre-dates the very concept of "sorcerer-only" spells by 3 years.  Additionally, while it is a sorcerer-only spell, it does appear on the sorc/wiz spell list (albeit with the noted exception).

Well, there is that one spell in core that is on the sor/wiz list that says in the spell description it's usable by prepared casters only. I cannot think of it's name right now.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #670 on: November 14, 2010, 10:34:32 AM »
Rary's mnemonic enhancer and Mordenkainen's lucubration. 

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #671 on: November 14, 2010, 10:36:44 AM »
Q 211 How would you go about making a magic item of Wraithstrike, permanent? Or can you with it only being 1 round. Can you even make it into an item?
A 211 The rules compendium under activating magic items clarified that spell trigger items only take the same action as the spell to activate them.  You might still have problems because of drawing said wand.

A 211 Formally, there is nothing in the rules saying that you can't use metamagic spell trigger feat / class ability upon a wand or wraithstrike.  Also, there's rules for adding metamagic feats to spells during creation.

Be careful, though.  This is an arms race with your DM, and if he decides to escalate, you can't win.

Q 212: If I have a psicrystal, is there an official statement somewhere that they get feats?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #672 on: November 14, 2010, 10:37:30 AM »
Q210

Well, there is that one spell in core that is on the sor/wiz list that says in the spell description it's usable by prepared casters only. I cannot think of it's name right now.
Rary's mnemonic enhancer and Mordenkainen's lucubration. 
yeah, those (:ninja'ed)

so the answer to the first part would be "yes"?

thanks.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #673 on: November 14, 2010, 11:19:22 AM »
Q213:

This came up in a game I ran last night, in which a player were playing a PHB2 knight; Is an opponent flat-footed against an attack of opportunity?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #674 on: November 14, 2010, 11:23:44 AM »
A213 an AoO on it's own doesn't cause someone to be flat-footed. I can't think of anything right now that would allow someone to be flat-footed when provoking an AoO, though, unless they had been feinted.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #675 on: November 14, 2010, 12:35:56 PM »
Q 209: Assuming Psicrystal get feats, would a Psicrystal taking something like Psionic Body or Improved Toughness gain more HPs or it'll still have "hp 1/2 master's"? ???
The HP would remain the same (1/2 masters)

Q 212: If I have a psicrystal, is there an official statement somewhere that they get feats?
Not that I'm aware of, but WotC never put out anything saying otherwise either.  If they even touched the subject, I think it was in a Sage article, and that usually sticks to the RAW as opposed to FAQ or CustServ.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #676 on: November 14, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »
A 211 The rules compendium under activating magic items clarified that spell trigger items only take the same action as the spell to activate them.  You might still have problems because of drawing said wand.

A 211 Formally, there is nothing in the rules saying that you can't use metamagic spell trigger feat / class ability upon a wand or wraithstrike.  Also, there's rules for adding metamagic feats to spells during creation.

Be careful, though.  This is an arms race with your DM, and if he decides to escalate, you can't win.
That won't be a problem. It's just coming up with the math. The DM said if I could figure it out, he'd allow me make gauntlets of wraithstrike. So they'd be a swift action to activate, but what about cost? It's spell level x caster x 2000 x Y (days .5/hours 1/10 minutes 1.5/minutes 2/rounds 4, per level). Wraithstrike is 1 round. That's it. I'm think it'd be easier just to have it be charges per day.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #677 on: November 14, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »
It would be x4, so 48,000 gold and a swift action to Wraithstrike every round. That's actually a bit expensive, keeping in mind every gish can do it for free, or at least less gold as a matter of course and beatsticks need Nice Things. Well unless you're Aelryinth, then auto negate gimps for 48k is something to cry about. :lmao
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #678 on: November 14, 2010, 01:45:43 PM »
It would be x4, so 48,000 gold and a swift action to Wraithstrike every round. That's actually a bit expensive, keeping in mind every gish can do it for free, or at least less gold as a matter of course and beatsticks need Nice Things. Well unless you're Aelryinth, then auto negate gimps for 48k is something to cry about. :lmao
Ouch, that is expensive. Or 9600 per charge. Hmm. I don't see how every gish could do it for free though, because not every gish made is a wiz/sor.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #679 on: November 14, 2010, 02:19:10 PM »
Ouch, that is expensive. Or 9600 per charge. Hmm. I don't see how every gish could do it for free though, because not every gish made is a wiz/sor.

Depends on how one defines gish.  :P
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286