Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138431 times)

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #500 on: November 09, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »
Q155: It's the Master Spellthief return. My DM and I are currently locked into a little argument about the viability of Sublime Chord + Master Spellthief abuse.

My argument:

The end result is X * Y (where X is your SC caster level and Y is the number of arcane spellcasting classes you have levels on).

His argument:

The end result is X, because Master Spellthief adds your levels in Arcane spellcasting classes together, NOT your CL in each of those.

I'm sure there was something that shot THAT counterargument down, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.
A 155
Strict RAW -- it does say "levels in arcane casting class" ... not "caster level"  :(

I was sure there was something to the effect of arcane spellcasting levels and arcane caster levels being interchangeable.

I'd love to hear it if it exists, but it strikes me as a bit silly to argue strongly for the ridiculously imbalanced implementation when there's a plausible argument for the balanced one.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #501 on: November 09, 2010, 07:15:13 PM »
Q155: It's the Master Spellthief return. My DM and I are currently locked into a little argument about the viability of Sublime Chord + Master Spellthief abuse.

My argument:

The end result is X * Y (where X is your SC caster level and Y is the number of arcane spellcasting classes you have levels on).

His argument:

The end result is X, because Master Spellthief adds your levels in Arcane spellcasting classes together, NOT your CL in each of those.

I'm sure there was something that shot THAT counterargument down, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.
A 155
Strict RAW -- it does say "levels in arcane casting class" ... not "caster level"  :(

I was sure there was something to the effect of arcane spellcasting levels and arcane caster levels being interchangeable.

I'd love to hear it if it exists, but it strikes me as a bit silly to argue strongly for the ridiculously imbalanced implementation when there's a plausible argument for the balanced one.

AHEM. I'm EXPLOITING IT HERE!!
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #502 on: November 09, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »

My argument:

His argument:

A 155

your missing a key word here .... "class" -- that changes the whole thing.
were the word "class" not there, then you would have something.  but as it is ....

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #503 on: November 09, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »

My argument:

His argument:

A 155
Strict RAW -- it does say "levels in arcane casting class" ... not "caster level"  :(

Eh, well, it still seems pretty ironclad since it doesn't say "arcane spellcasting levels", but actually spells out that they must be "her levels in another arcane spellcasting class". Which means either Orange Ioun Stones make you level up in Wizard, or they're not the same. Also, strictly speaking, it debuffs you if you've taken any levels in a class that grants "+1 level of spellcasting" or somesuch prior to Sublime Chord, because you can't count them (you only count the actual levels, and you only get a single class because it uses the singular). Although if you have more than 1 base class, Master Spellthief converts it into a buff (Bard 1/Wizard 8/Spellthief 1/Sublime Chord 1 adds Sublime Chord and Wizard to get 9, Bard, Wizard, Spellthief and Sublime Chord are set to 9 each, and then you add them to get 36 through master Spellthief).

EDIT: I think that may actually have been what you were going for.

EDIT^2: What you can't do, however, is the following; You can't be a Bard 1/Wizard 8/Spellthief 1 and take Sublime Chord 1, and say your CL is 10 thanks to Master Spellthief, so your Sublime Chord is 11, so all your classes are set to 11, so Master Spellthief sets them all to 44. There are more brutal abuses than this that have been argued over elsewhere, but which rely on basically the same misinterpretation.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:26:34 PM by Bauglir »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #504 on: November 09, 2010, 07:28:32 PM »
Q156:

What ways are there to become immune to spells with the Sonic Descriptor?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #505 on: November 09, 2010, 08:10:07 PM »
Q156:

What ways are there to become immune to spells with the Sonic Descriptor?

A156

The obvious answer is Silence. Otherwise, I got nothing, assuming you want to be immune to more than just sonic damage.

Q157
Somebody once wrote an interpretation of Greater Consumptive Field that relied on the effects overlapping and resulting in diminishing returns in consequence. I need that interpretation so I can quote it. Help?

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #506 on: November 09, 2010, 08:26:48 PM »
Q158: Where's the one enchantment/quality that has your weapon sing as you fight from? Not intelligent, uses the wind or something.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #507 on: November 09, 2010, 08:33:39 PM »
A158: Harmonizing weapon?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #508 on: November 09, 2010, 08:34:23 PM »
Q156. What's the best tracker i can planar bind? Just Lesser available right now...

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #509 on: November 09, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
A158: Harmonizing weapon?

Hm... yeah probably that. Pity it isn't useful for the person who wants it.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #510 on: November 09, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
Q156. What's the best tracker i can planar bind? Just Lesser available right now...
Kezelf the Chaos Hound. Champions of Ruin page 144.
Just kidding, it has 28HD. But more people should know of its existence.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #511 on: November 09, 2010, 09:01:06 PM »

My argument:

His argument:

A 155
Strict RAW -- it does say "levels in arcane casting class" ... not "caster level"  :(

Eh, well, it still seems pretty ironclad since it doesn't say "arcane spellcasting levels", but actually spells out that they must be "her levels in another arcane spellcasting class". Which means either Orange Ioun Stones make you level up in Wizard, or they're not the same. Also, strictly speaking, it debuffs you if you've taken any levels in a class that grants "+1 level of spellcasting" or somesuch prior to Sublime Chord, because you can't count them (you only count the actual levels, and you only get a single class because it uses the singular). Although if you have more than 1 base class, Master Spellthief converts it into a buff (Bard 1/Wizard 8/Spellthief 1/Sublime Chord 1 adds Sublime Chord and Wizard to get 9, Bard, Wizard, Spellthief and Sublime Chord are set to 9 each, and then you add them to get 36 through master Spellthief).

EDIT^2: What you can't do, however, is the following; You can't be a Bard 1/Wizard 8/Spellthief 1 and take Sublime Chord 1, and say your CL is 10 thanks to Master Spellthief, so your Sublime Chord is 11, so all your classes are set to 11, so Master Spellthief sets them all to 44. There are more brutal abuses than this that have been argued over elsewhere, but which rely on basically the same misinterpretation.

I'll probably need a whole thread for this. Dangit.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #512 on: November 09, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »
Q158: Where's the one enchantment/quality that has your weapon sing as you fight from? Not intelligent, uses the wind or something.
This it:

http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/FR_Survival.asp
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #513 on: November 09, 2010, 09:35:22 PM »

My argument:

His argument:

A 155

Here.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #514 on: November 09, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »
This it:

http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/FR_Survival.asp

Wait, does that, wait, less than 10k? Cool.

lianightdemon

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #515 on: November 09, 2010, 09:53:37 PM »
Q159

When you use a knowstone spell that is attuned to you do you need the material components or focus's ? The creation costs include them but it doesn't state anymore if you need additional ones per casting. I know it uses a spell slot? What about xp costs?

Archao

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #516 on: November 09, 2010, 10:24:11 PM »
Q 160 In order to keep the Evil hidden, what ways (if any exist) are there for an Ur-Priest to gain the ability to spontaneously cast cure spells?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #517 on: November 09, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »

My argument:

His argument:

A 155

Here.

Appreciated, but I'd better put a thread together anyway.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #518 on: November 09, 2010, 10:30:51 PM »
Q 160 In order to keep the Evil hidden, what ways (if any exist) are there for an Ur-Priest to gain the ability to spontaneously cast cure spells?

He could take a prestige class that grant a domain(ex. Contemplative) choose the healing domain then take the domain spontagn. feat....
This is from the top of my head but I am sure there are other ways....

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #519 on: November 09, 2010, 11:15:05 PM »

He could take a prestige class that grant a domain(ex. Contemplative) choose the healing domain then take the domain spontagn. feat....
This is from the top of my head but I am sure there are other ways....

The only way should be through a Domain, I think, as Spontaneous Healer won't work for evil people. (There may be a prestige class out there, but it's hard to tell.)
Contemplative works well, as you can pick any Domain.

Alternatives are to prep one slot with a healing spell, and have a lot of Pearls of Power to recharge that slot as needed.
Or get the Domain Staff of Healing, 36 K. So that you can convert any spell into the appropriate healing spell.

Also, if you haven't thought of it. Try using Undetectable Alignment (PH. Cl 2, 24 hours of no alignment detectable) or Moral Facade (Complete Champion. Clr 3, 24 hours of 'fake your alignment') to hide your alignment well.

It is rather hard to explain why you can spontaneously cast cure spells when you're rebuking undead though. Those two choices are supposed to be mutually exclusive for clerics. Good luck!