Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138429 times)

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #360 on: November 05, 2010, 10:55:56 PM »
Q 108 How do you exorcise a soul possessing someone. The person is performing this possession using a sort of permanent Magic Jar. It may not be simply dispellable.
It's a Stranger with the Burning Eyes. Find and take his token!

Or hire a Sacred Exorcist.

Or become one yourself. That's one I was considering for a while. No lost CL, so it's somewhat worthwhile.

lianightdemon

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #361 on: November 05, 2010, 11:10:27 PM »
Q109

Does the Stalwart Sorcerer extra hp benefit carry over to prestige classes and other classes? Or does it apply only to actual levels of sorcerer?

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #362 on: November 05, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
Q109

Does the Stalwart Sorcerer extra hp benefit carry over to prestige classes and other classes? Or does it apply only to actual levels of sorcerer?

A109 As written, only to Sorcerer levels.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #363 on: November 05, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »
Q109

Q109b
that being the case, since you're not getting the extra HP from those levels, do you also not take the reduction of spells at those levels?   ;)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Catty Nebulart

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #364 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:01 PM »
Q 108 How do you exorcise a soul possessing someone. The person is performing this possession using a sort of permanent Magic Jar. It may not be simply dispellable.

kill the possesed one, then resurect them.ussualy possesion does not last through death. :D
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Ramaloke

• Email
« Reply #365 on: November 05, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »
Q110: The Dark Scholar prestige class in the Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde gets to pick this ability:

Quote from: The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde, The Dark Scholar
The Ascendancy Manuscript: Knowledge (the planes) 18 ranks; use divine scrolls as if you were a cleric of your arcane caster level.

Does this let me "use" Divine Scrolls for the purposes of scribing them into my spellbook. It never explicitly says what I can "use" them for, just that I can "use" them.
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #366 on: November 05, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »
Q110: The Dark Scholar prestige class in the Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde gets to pick this ability:

Quote from: The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde, The Dark Scholar
The Ascendancy Manuscript: Knowledge (the planes) 18 ranks; use divine scrolls as if you were a cleric of your arcane caster level.

Does this let me "use" Divine Scrolls for the purposes of scribing them into my spellbook. It never explicitly says what I can "use" them for, just that I can "use" them.

Since Clerics don't scribe scrolls into spellbooks, I'd say that you can't, due to the wording "As a Cleric". However, as you can research arcane versions of divine spells anyways, I'd allow it, especially for something you're sinking levels into getting. This is probably a very flaky argument, though.
Solo on Essentials

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #367 on: November 06, 2010, 12:00:24 AM »
Q111
I noted that I cannot find a Blackguard Handbook. What are some Key Spells to Prepare and Spells that you get at lower levels then standard classes? Naturally this is in regards to the Archivist.
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #368 on: November 06, 2010, 12:52:53 AM »
Can someone craft a runestaff with an arbitrarily high CL?

Well here are the rules:
For potions, scrolls, and wands, the creator can set the caster level of an item at any number high enough to cast the stored spell and not higher than her own caster level. For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.

That's badly worded.  As it's written, your caster level doesn't limit the caster level of items you craft if they're not potions, scrolls, or wands.  I'm sure the caster level of an item you craft is meant to be constrained by your caster level. 

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: November 06, 2010, 02:24:09 AM »
Q112 What is the earliest level one can reliably make CL20 caster level checks?
Solo on Essentials

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #370 on: November 06, 2010, 03:13:13 AM »
At 9th level, you could have a ring of arcane might (Complete Arcane) for +1 caster level and the arcane mastery feat (Complete Arcane) for the ability to take 10 on caster level checks (even in combat).  Of course, that ring is pretty expensive for 9th level. 

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #371 on: November 06, 2010, 03:58:16 AM »
Q109

Q109b
that being the case, since you're not getting the extra HP from those levels, do you also not take the reduction of spells at those levels?   ;)
As far as I am aware, yes, that would be the case. At least, that's how we do it, and that would make sense.

Q 113 What creature gives Balors even nightmares, and what book are they in?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Ramaloke

• Email
« Reply #372 on: November 06, 2010, 04:04:41 AM »
A113: the Klurichir in Fiend Folio supposedly give Balors nightmares.
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: November 06, 2010, 04:12:19 AM »
A113: the Klurichir in Fiend Folio supposedly give Balors nightmares.
Thanks.

Q 114 When using the Gate spell, does it work the same as a Summon Monster or Nature's Ally when determining XP afterwards (ie no extra because it's what the caster's capable of)?

bananaphone

• ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #374 on: November 06, 2010, 04:15:19 AM »
Q 115:
I have seen people make the claim that training a Warbeast allows you to add the template.  
After reading that section in the MM2, all those rules seem to elaborate on are just the Handle Animal checks for training a creature that is already a Warbeast.  It never mentions adding the template.
Is this correct?

TRAINING A WARBEAST
[spoiler]A warbeast can be reared and trained just as the base creature can.
If the base creature is a domestic animal, the creature need not be specially reared, but it must be trained for two months (Handle Animal DC 20) to develop its abilities.
A warbeast based on a wild animal must be reared for one year (Handle Animal DC 15 + HD of the warbeast), then trained for 2 months (Handle Animal DC 20 + HD of the warbeast).
A warbeast based on a beast must be reared for one year (Handle Animal DC 20 + HD of the warbeast), then trained for 2 months (Handle Animal DC 25 + HD of the warbeast).
A warbeast based on a vermin, being mindless, is untrainable.
A trained warbeast is capable of carrying a rider into battle, and it gains the combative mount special quality (see above).[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:17:02 AM by bananaphone »

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
« Reply #375 on: November 06, 2010, 04:25:08 AM »
After reading that section in the MM2, all those rules seem to elaborate on are just the Handle Animal checks for training a creature that is already a Warbeast.

I completely agree with you and have argued this more than once.  Additionally, the template explicitly can be added to creatures that cannot be trained, and the template is described as the result of selective breeding. 

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #376 on: November 06, 2010, 05:30:15 AM »
It's a Stranger with the Burning Eyes. Find and take his token!

Or hire a Sacred Exorcist.

Or become one yourself. That's one I was considering for a while. No lost CL, so it's somewhat worthwhile.

Q 116 How about locating the Magic Jar? Is there a spell for that? Locate Object won't quite cut it, as nobody would have seen it firsthand, and it has limited range too. Interrogating the possessing soul might not yield any information, if they actually don't know where the jar is anymore. (I suppose Inquisition or Mind Probe will end up working out, if they do know though.)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #377 on: November 06, 2010, 05:31:25 AM »
Detect magic?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

jolt

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #378 on: November 06, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »
Q117: If you drain a creature with enough negative levels, it will become a wight. How powerful will it be as a wight? Will it keep it's previous HD or will it just be a wight as weak as in the Monster Manual? Will it be under your control or is it possible it will just continue to bash on you?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: November 06, 2010, 10:55:23 AM »
Q117: If you drain a creature with enough negative levels, it will become a wight. How powerful will it be as a wight? Will it keep it's previous HD or will it just be a wight as weak as in the Monster Manual? Will it be under your control or is it possible it will just continue to bash on you?
It will become what you see in the MM. As for it bashing on you, it'd have to find you first. It doesn't happen right away.