Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition  (Read 138430 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question part 19: Titan-Bloodline Pixie Ubercharger edition
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2010, 05:14:42 PM »
Q54: How do arrow enhancements interact with using arrows as improvised melee weapons? Do they gain them despite being enchanted as ammunition or no?
Q55: Are arrows used as melee weapons as likely to be destroyed on a hit as arrows used as ammunition? What about on a miss?

Don't think I got word on this.

A54: Yes.

A55: The rules are kind of stupid here. They don't say anything about arrows breaking when used as melee weapons, so I guess technically they don't. At all. Don't expect a DM to rule that way, though. :P
Well the rule stating on a hit the arrow breaks doesn't limit itself to when it is fired, though that is the obvious intent, so it should apply to melee as well. Ironically that also makes it so if you miss and hit nothing there is a 50% chance it breaks anyway or is lost despite being in your hand.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »
The text of Alternate Form does not mention Polymorph anywhere. It does not function like Polymorph at all.
well, to be fair, in the MM glossary it does say "[...] functions much like polymorph, except [...]"
key word(s) = "much like" ..... which is different from "exactly like".

but yeah, that DM clearly doesn't understand wild shape (either that, or doesn't understand the phrase "except as noted here").
Beleve it or not I finally convinced him not by using the arguements that you all listed but by showing him that an huge elemental has at least 16 hd......
It is his first time as Dm so it logical that he is still learning....

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »
Q68
What are the racial ability score modifiers for an awakened cat? (My girlfriend is suddenly interested in D&D now that she realizes she can be an "Evil Kitten Overlord")
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »
Q68
What are the racial ability score modifiers for an awakened cat? (My girlfriend is suddenly interested in D&D now that she realizes she can be an "Evil Kitten Overlord")
When did BHU become a girl?  :smirk

Tiny size -8 Str, +4 Dex +/-0 Con. mental stats are defined by the awaken spell.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »
Q68
When did BHU become a girl?  :smirk

Tiny size -8 Str, +4 Dex +/-0 Con. mental stats are defined by the awaken spell.

Har har. Also, I thought so, but wasn't sure. Thanks.
Solo on Essentials

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #245 on: November 02, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »
Q68
I would say -8 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Wis.  Depending on how you roll on the Awaken spell, you'll either wind up with 8, 9, or 10 for Charisma, so that's a *maybe* -2, *maybe* +0, so I'd just as soon default to the actual points invested (point buy) or the actual dice rolled.

Also, it will have 2 racial HD, but on the plus side they're Magical Beast HD so full BAB and good Reflex/Will saves.  LA would likely be +0: despite the presence of natural attacks (a good routine, at that), you lack the ability to wield manufactured weapons and you have a net penalty to ability scores.  You're also tiny, which can be a pain in the ass all on it's own.

If you want to be an evil kitten overlord, I'd say go with Psionics.  Apply the Phrenic template (and buy it off), be an Ardent, and pick up the Communication mantle (instill in everyone an attraction to cats).

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2010, 06:13:08 PM »
My girlfriend is suddenly interested in D&D now that she realizes she can be an "Evil Kitten Overlord"

You might want to point out the tibbit race (Dragon Compendium), which gives the ability to change between a small humanoid form and a tiny cat form at-will.  You also might want to point out cat hengeyokai (Oriental Adventures), which gives the ability to transform between a medium humanoid form, a medium cat-person form, and a tiny cat form.  Both of these are +0 LA and have no racial HD.  (Hengeyokai LA was reduced in the Oriental Adventures update in Dragon 318.) 

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
well, to be fair, in the MM glossary it does say "[...] functions much like polymorph, except [...]"

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »
oh, well, never mind then.
thanks.

(grumble, grumble, grumble ... goddamn errata .... can't just open my book and think it's going to be right .... grumble, grumble)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2010, 06:31:50 PM »
Q69:Are there any other prestige classes that ban schools except for Incantrix and Red Wizard?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #250 on: November 02, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »
Q69:Are there any other prestige classes that ban schools except for Incantrix and Red Wizard?
Yes several. Off the top of my head Wizard of high sorcery from Dragonlance and a few more I can't recall.

darrellbutts

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #251 on: November 02, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »
Q70One of my players wants to use a tainted scholar -- we're trying to limit the cheese from it, but I have no idea how as I've never played/played with them...is there a generally accepted method?

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: November 02, 2010, 09:34:25 PM »
Q70One of my players wants to use a tainted scholar -- we're trying to limit the cheese from it, but I have no idea how as I've never played/played with them...is there a generally accepted method?
A70 Don't let them be Undead, which would make them immune to the negative effects of Taint.
Solo on Essentials

BrokeAndDrive

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Why are there no ghosts of dinosaurs?
« Reply #253 on: November 02, 2010, 10:24:43 PM »
Q71 Say I wanted to play something with racial hit dice, but didn't want those RHD, because RHD are worse than fighter levels. Could I get rid of all but one by failing Fort saves vs. negative levels, then take class levels and be on my merry, RHD-less way?
Random quotes:[spoiler]I think Roy's coinages are shitty and dumb, but Failroy has to take the cake for the dumbest new compound word of the year
~

That was kind of the point. I was trying to be a Roy parody, but I guess it didn't come across overly well.

==

JaronK is of course most famous for his massive thought experiments into placing classes into tiers. While a kind of nifty idea, and a decent enough way to think about stuff, his particular tier assignments were basically insane. Apparently the criteria he used was to assign classes relative strength based on what bullshit he personally would let them get away with at 20th level.

So Factotums were rated very highly, because apparently he would let them use Rokugan-exclusive skills with Forgotten Realms-exclusive weapons from the back of MM2 templated warbeasts. But Rogues suck donkey dick, becuase he wouldn't let them use Use Magic Device to read scrolls of Planar Binding. It was a very surreal argument.
~

And to think the system was immortalized in OOTS. As a general rule, I try to avoid all tier discussion there because it's the De Facto system at BG, and I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Besides, I think if most people are pressed, they will admit that it's just an estimate, anyway, and that results can vary from table to table.
~

My only real complaint with the tier system is that at one point I was tired (tiered?) of hearing about it.[/spoiler]

tristanayres

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: November 02, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »
Q28

OK so I have to ask about someones sig, I hate to do it but...
Archangel.Arcanis I have to know what does
"Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D." reference?

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #255 on: November 02, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »
Q28

OK so I have to ask about someones sig, I hate to do it but...
Archangel.Arcanis I have to know what does
"Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D." reference?

Read and be enlightened!
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2010, 01:37:17 AM »
Q71 Say I wanted to play something with racial hit dice, but didn't want those RHD, because RHD are worse than fighter levels. Could I get rid of all but one by failing Fort saves vs. negative levels, then take class levels and be on my merry, RHD-less way?
yes, though there is also a ritual to swap RHD for class levels in the Savage Species book, iirc.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Archao

« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2010, 02:23:56 AM »
yes, though there is also a ritual to swap RHD for class levels in the Savage Species book, iirc.
Page 13 of Savage Species says that creatures with 1HD may trade it for their first class level. Browsing shortly through the same chapter in the book shows no such option for creatures with more Hit Dice. I'd like to know the page number if you have it.

As for Q71, I know of nothing in any book to give a definite yes or no, but I would assume that you could do such a thing, but would be behind the rest of the party by that much XP.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:27:15 AM by Archao »

TC X0 Lt 0X

« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2010, 04:21:43 AM »
Q72
Do Ki Straps add +2DC to spells cast through the Enlightened Fist's Arcane Fist class feature?
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: November 03, 2010, 10:09:15 AM »
Page 13 of Savage Species says that creatures with 1HD may trade it for their first class level. Browsing shortly through the same chapter in the book shows no such option for creatures with more Hit Dice. I'd like to know the page number if you have it.

As for Q71, I know of nothing in any book to give a definite yes or no, but I would assume that you could do such a thing, but would be behind the rest of the party by that much XP.

Pages 147-151 of Savage Species describe Rituals, and the Ritual of Unlearning seems as if it could get rid of RHD.

Q73 How do auto-resetting traps of stuff like create food work?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:00:52 AM by RelentlessImp »
Solo on Essentials