Author Topic: A New Beginning  (Read 12794 times)

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
A New Beginning
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:31:07 PM »
Black smoke leaps into the air, it's birth spectacular in both size and form.  It sways a bit, hesitating, then it dives back to earth, swimming through the air and exploring the buildings at the bottom of the gaseous sea.
Like a dirty child, the smoke leaves a sooty, grimy residue on everything it feels, leaving its favorite "toys" terminally black; uncleanable.
The wispy creature doesn't get far before it finds itself falling apart, dissolved in the air like a specter in the daylight.

The smoke's mother is the large building near the center of town.  It is here that the smiths work, taking base earth and transmuting it; giving it value and purpose.  The objects made here rarely stay for long.  They only wait long enough to be counted and loaded onto carts before they leave for the world-at-large.

As you step away from the foundry, you are reacquainted with the nature of the town built around it.
The heart of the town cries out in a Merchant's voice, and calls all to do trade.  Everywhere on the streets, people peddle their wares.  Preists call for donation and offer healing, while fifteen feet away, an alchemist offers to sell an herb to cure the same thing.
The streets are crowded with people, and help is needed everywhere in different capacities.

[spoiler]The town of Ferond is a busy one, and one based on trade and its metalworks.  If you look around, you can find work to be done anywhere.
I leave it up to you what you would like to explore as a group first.  Use the OOC thread to introduce your character and his/her motivations, propose options for exploring, and ask questions about the area or different aspects of the town.

Basically, give me a general area of the town that your character might find interesting (or none at all), such as the town history, town safety, trade caravans, leadership, community, economic situation, whatever.
I'll be using what I get in the OOC thread to direct where I go with the campaign.[/spoiler]

Huggles

Re: A New Beginning
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
"Ay, the smiths! 'Sbeen awhile since Ah've been around a forge. Reminds me o' my home in the mountains; we used to pride ourselves on our crafts. Wonder how everyone's been...?" Telchar says to himself as he ponders the armories and weaponsmiths in the town.

ymir

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:54:36 PM »
Sha-Karn strides through the town making his way to the center, taking in his new surroundings en route. "Busy place... reminds me of some of the marketplaces in the cities we frequented... Let's see if this town is any better than that mining camp; at least the people here aren't in rags and chains." The flames dancing along the lines of energy on his head grow as he remembers the incident in the last large settlement he encountered.

[spoiler]1d20 1=4, 1d20 11=12 -- streetwise and history, respectively (wow that was bad)[/spoiler]

ymir

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:50:42 PM »
Turning to his new compatriots, Sha-Karn speaks, "So, these drow... where were they last seen? You said that they were oppressive people, yes? We should find them as soon as possible and make them pay." As he finishes saying this, his eyes narrow and the fiery 'hair' erupting from his energy lines flaring up.

Trynant

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
"Aren't we tracking down Jaedrus? Is he involved with the drow?" Valkon is wondering just how many enemies these people made, and just what exactly he signed up for.

[spoiler]At some point would anyone be willing to summarize the "story" so far?[/spoiler]

ymir

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »
[spoiler=FASTRECAP!]We met in Almark... Eric lost a duel to Jaedrus... He got kidnapped by kobbos... We tried to rescue him, found out something about drow 'employing' him... they disappeared... Introduced gravity to gobbos, it was amusing... Went into tunnels... met a gnome and a white dragon (who's dead now)... Smacked up some undead... drowned a dragon...born. Went to Elden... lost random party members to a bandit leader who turned out to be a pretentious prick of an Eldarin... made a massive-fucking-town come out from the ground by pulling on a lever in some sewers. Went back to Almark... slept... went poof into Feywild... made a deal with a green dragon... came back... smacked up some undead and gobbos... saw greenie, whiteie and blackie fight it up... only greenie lived. We left town to go find drow... and met another Carric :P Also, we each try to use different colors so speech is easily distinguishable... Telchar is red, Dori is... something... I'm orange, now (as I'm fiery and whatnot)... etc etc etc[/spoiler]

"From what I understood, he may or may not have worked with the drow willingly. I say we kill them all, associating with them is bad enough."
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 05:58:29 PM by ymir »

Trynant

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:41:24 PM »
[spoiler]I shall be...PURPLE: THE REAL MAN'S COLOR[/spoiler]

"Be it just Jaedrus or the entire drow civilization, we still have to actually find these villains. Which brings us back to your question I suppose." Valkon turns to the other adventurers. "Should we go to where these drow were last seen?" Valkon thinks for a moment, looks at the bustling city and then forms a wide grin. "Or perhaps we should discuss or next course of action over a pint at a nearby tavern? There could be clues to Jaedrus's whereabouts within Ferond."

Huggles

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 10:15:35 PM »
"Well.... we know the drow left behind a map.. an' we also know they retreated North after tha battle at Altea several months ago... other than that, Ah dunno what kinda information we got, so that'd prob'ly be a good place ta start... 'course, a quick trip ta the tavern wouldn't hurt neither... " Telchar says as begins walking towards the bar, grinning widely at the prospect of alcohol.

ymir

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 11:04:49 PM »
After pausing for a moment, slightly annoyed at having to wait, Sha-Karn concedes and joins his new compatriots en-route to the tavern. "Well, the map is a good place to start, then. Maybe we'll come across some travelers in the tavern who might have ran afoul of the drow, recently. Alas, I came from the West, through the mountains, so the northern regions of the continent are still a mystery to me."

Mero

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »
[spoiler]qq someone is stole my color.  Oh well.  I guess I'll take TEAL[/spoiler]

Layla assumes a condescending, hand-on-hip pose and addresses the aspiring town drunks.

Or, instead of drinking our way to fame, we could all grow a pair, grab the map, and actually hunt the vermin.  Didn't someone say they went north?  I'll track them if you girls can't handle it.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 11:15:26 PM »
Oh! Up north is great!  There's all sorts of funny things and places and...

Sha-Karn, Layla, Valkon:
For the first time since you've met the group, the little kobold that always seems to be around speaks up.
So far, he's had his head in a book, and his hand 'round a quill.
His voice is a bit shrill, but it he speaks common fairly well.

His outburst is short-lived as his jaw drops open and his eyes widen to impossible proportions.
He stares at Sha-Karn for a second, then
Oh!  Quick!  Quick!  Your head is on fire!  Your head is on fire!  Quick! get some water!  Somebody do something!  He's gonna burn his head!  Quick, Dori!  Quick!  Summon some water or something!  Hurry!!!

Mero

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 11:20:15 PM »
Layla chuckles to herself:

A flaming head and a bucket of spirits from that tavern could be a fun combination...

ymir

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 11:21:07 PM »
Sha-Karn turns to Layla, "Hey. I've been traveling for over a week now. I just slaughtered a town council and put their heads... On pikes. I think I'm entitled to a little drink-y drink." As he talks, he makes a gesture, demonstrating the decapitation and 'piking' procedures, emphasizing the latter. Pausing for a moment, realizing that his new party doesn't know the reasons for his actions.

"It's not like they didn't deserve it... they were enslaving the entire population of the town, forcing them to mine gold in conditions you wouldn't see a..."

At this, he hears a high-pitched outburst, spinning, to try and locate the source, he finds a kobold, pointing at him in fear. "...kobold."

Sighing, he shakes his head. "Yes, I know... my head is on fire. It's because I'm not a human. I am, in fact, a Genasi. These lines on my body, as my parents told me, are where the ancient elementals marked me, and the fire from my head is the culmination of this." As he talks, he gestures to the various visible glowing energy lines, trying to explain that he is not a human, but in fact an elemental, and that the fire is natural for this form.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 12:00:06 AM »
Meepo listens to Sha-Karn's explanation, slowly nodding his head when Sha-Karn pauses.

So...  Um... is...  is your brother a fire monster?  Or your dad?

Meepo looks around to see if anyone else is confused.  He freezes for a sec when he sees Layla, then turns to her.

Oh!  I'm sorry... Um... right!  Up north is great!  There's a big, open plains, and a big lake, uh, and, uh, and a jungle!  But don't go too far east, or you get to the deadlands.  The deadlands are no fun at all.

He fidgets nervously for a second, then determinedly looks elsewhere before diving back into his book nose first.

ymir

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 12:08:07 AM »
The firesoul raises an eyebrow bemusedly at the kobold's question, "Neither, really... it's a metaphorical thing." He tries to explain, using various hand-gestures, as he thinks, but is unable to come up with a suitably simple one. "Where I come from, the elements themselves have reached out and touched the people, and we genasi are the result of that interaction. There are firesouls, earthsouls, watersouls, windsouls, and stormsouls. Some of us can manifest multiple elements, and even fewer can do it simultaneously. For example, I can manifest both fire and earth, but not at the same time." Sha-karn shrugs, "I think of it as a blessing. It often is, at times. People generally don't try to push around someone who's on fire." he says with a wink, and toothy grin.

"A lake? Lakes are good... I'm assuming the drow need water like the rest of us. It'd be a good place to start, I think. Do you remember where this big lake was,...er... you never did say your name... I suppose I didn't, either. I am Sha-Karn, of the Vabbi." he bends forward and offers the kobold a hand.

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 12:48:27 AM »
Meepo grabs Sha-Karn's hand and shakes it.  I'm Meepo!  I, uh, well, I go around with Dori and Telchar, and, follow them around and stuff.
So, um... are we gonna go up north guys?

Huggles

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 01:10:58 AM »
Telchar returns, having already constucted a mini beeramid by himself. Skar'd be proud... he thinks to himself.
"Alright then, we've 'ad our fun, it's time ta head on out, Ah'm thinkin'. Let's go." Telchar says before heading towards the north end of town.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 01:13:35 AM by Huggles »

Trynant

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 09:42:16 AM »
Valkon looks at the inebriated dwarf and sighs. I should have followed him when I could, my spirits are rather low. "If all of you are ready to go drow hunting then let's not delay." Following this he quietly mutters, "Although we certainly might have time for a round at the tavern."

[spoiler]I don't think Valkon is aware of making horrible puns when he thinks to himself.[/spoiler]

ymir

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 10:48:25 AM »
[spoiler]You're still the ones making the puns, you will be punished accordingly! :P[/spoiler]

"The more time we spend waving our genitals about out here, the more time the drow have to subjugate! If you want alcohol, fill a spare waterskin like our dwarven friend, here. He knows what he's doing." Sha-Karn follows Telchar to the northern border of Ferond. Upon reaching there, he looks about at the party.

"So... this map... now would be a good time to use it, yes? Get a general idea of where to go and such. Meepo, do you remember where that large lake lies with relation to our current position?"

Dan2

• Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 02:42:04 PM »
Meepo looks at the map for a second, seeming to study it, then he shakes his head and looks up.

Uhm...  Meep-err I'm not very good with maps.  And we didn't have one when we were there last time...

He points to a couple of areas. on the map.
I think I've been there, and there, and over there.
One of them is relatively near where the drow's path disappears into the mountain, but the other two are far away.