Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344208 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #900 on: October 21, 2008, 03:06:20 PM »
Q 351: The spell flame blade says "You wield this bladelike beam as if it were a scimitar."  Does this mean that it has the 18-20 threat range of a scimitar, or is it only there to indicate if you are proficient with it or not?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #901 on: October 21, 2008, 03:51:54 PM »
My last question was completely ignored. Let's try another.

Q352: Ok, SLAs are normally 10 + spell level simulated + Cha. Poison is an exception to the normal DC rule in that instead of getting spell level added to the DC you get half your CL. So would that mean a Poison SLA just became 10 + half CL + Cha?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #902 on: October 21, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »
It follows the spell.  If the spell is Poison then it would be 10+1/2 CL+wis.  Note that I think they would have said casting stat instead of wis if there was a non-wis using class that got the spell.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #903 on: October 21, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »
Well, in core there isn't. And they could have just overlooked UMD.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #904 on: October 21, 2008, 04:48:41 PM »
Exactly.  I mean: Archivist, had that class existed when the spell was printed I have a feeling it would have been "main casting stat" instead of just wis.  Or even Arcane Disciple if there's a domain that gets it.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #905 on: October 21, 2008, 04:51:53 PM »
Assassin's are Int-based...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #906 on: October 21, 2008, 05:07:03 PM »
Well it doesn't matter in this case since Wis and Cha on the creature in question are exactly the same. It did raise the question though.

Edit: Your statement presumes they are competent enough to know their shit. See also: WF Scimitar playtest druids.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 05:08:44 PM by Sunic_Flames »

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #907 on: October 23, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »
Q353: What ways are there to increase the DCs of supernatural abilities, other than Ability Focus?  Specifically it's Stunning Fist, so Ki Straps give a +2, but I want more...

Farodin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #908 on: October 23, 2008, 04:55:28 PM »
Q354: Undead are:

Quote from: d20srd.org
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.

Does this only refer to strength damage, or to any reduction of the creature's strength score? In other words: Are undead affected by a Ray of Enfeeblement, or a Bestow Curse reducing strength?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:06:35 PM by Farodin »
I own your soul now.
I can see what you see not, vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone, whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be, shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind - cast down into the halls of the blind.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #909 on: October 23, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »
A354: Only damage. They can still take penalties to their ability scores, but they cannot take strength damage, dex damage, or con damage.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #910 on: October 23, 2008, 05:52:34 PM »
Q355:  The Versatile Spellcaster feat from Races of the Dragon allows you to combine two spellslots of the same level to cast a spell you know that is one level higher. How does this interact with metamagicked spells, which for all intents and purposes (except Heighten spell) spells of their normal level? For instance, can 4th level Sorcerer Tim combine two first level spellslots to cast an extended Rope Trick or an Empowered Scorching Ray?

In the same vein, how would it interact with Sanctum Spell, which lowers the effective level of a spell when cast outside one's sanctum?
This space intentionally left blank.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #911 on: October 23, 2008, 06:15:58 PM »
A 353: Other than specific items, the simplest way is to just increase the relevant ability score.

A 355: You're overthinking it. Just look at the final level of the meta'd spell, and if you have an appropriate slot available then you can cast it.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #912 on: October 23, 2008, 07:24:22 PM »
And would anyone happen to know of any specific items other than the Ki Straps?

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #913 on: October 23, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »
A 353b Falling Sun Attack (ToB) gives you +1 to the DC.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #914 on: October 23, 2008, 08:17:47 PM »
A335c: Fist of the Heavens. BoED 43. +2 DC against Evil creatures. Is an Exalted feat.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 08:20:03 PM by Negative Zero »

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #915 on: October 24, 2008, 01:31:26 AM »
Q356: Okay, another one.  Looking for ways to, without additional class level investment, increase reach.  I have Inhuman Reach, and Deformity (tall) is out, but are there others?  Like, a weapon enchantment or something.  Magic items other than weapon enchantments are out as well though, since I have VoPov (a revamped version).

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #916 on: October 24, 2008, 10:33:04 AM »
A356: There is a weapon enhancement in MIC for 5000 I believe that once a day adds 5ft. to your reach for one attack and the opponent is flat footed against that attack.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #917 on: October 24, 2008, 01:41:10 PM »
Q357: What ways if any exist to get Precise Shot for archery as an item granted bonus feat?

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #918 on: October 24, 2008, 01:45:46 PM »
A357: Isn't there a Precise weapon enhancement?  AFB, but check the MIC and surreal's list of stuff.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #919 on: October 24, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »
Q357: What ways if any exist to get Precise Shot for archery as an item granted bonus feat?
I know there was anitem in magic of faerun.

Q359: What PrC options are there for a straight rogue/warlock multiclass? I have a player who wants to increase his EB and sneak attack.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread