Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344206 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #240 on: June 16, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »
Q 89:  If you are a 7th level Druid with a 4th level pearl of power, and you have Flamestrike prepared, but convert it to a summon spell upon casting, then try to use your Pearl of Power, what happens?  Which spell is reprepared?

The Pearl of Power descriptions says it recalls any one spell that you "prepared and then cast.  The spell is prepared again, just as if it had not been cast."
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2008, 01:57:19 PM »
Q88:  If you use the Black Lore of Moil metamagic feat (Complete Arcane) to alter say, Ray of Exhaustion, would the damage added on trigger SA?
If you mean if you can Sneak Attack with it, I believe so. I'm not entirely certain though and don't have an actual ruling at hand.

Sweet!  That means I get +5d6 negative energy dmg for 50gp!  I dunno if that feat is common knowledge (I haven't seen any builds that use it), but that's pretty damn good IMO.  Turning a no-dmg debuff spell into dmg for 10gp a die?  Yes, please!
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: June 16, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »
90) Quick and easy: Does Arcane Disciple require you to choose which class gets the benefits of the expanded spell list, or does it add them to all of your Arcane casting classes?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2008, 12:39:57 AM »
Q 89:  If you are a 7th level Druid with a 4th level pearl of power, and you have Flamestrike prepared, but convert it to a summon spell upon casting, then try to use your Pearl of Power, what happens?  Which spell is reprepared?

The Pearl of Power descriptions says it recalls any one spell that you "prepared and then cast.  The spell is prepared again, just as if it had not been cast."

I am tempted to say that druid effectively makes all your spells modal in nature (they are either the spell you prepared them as, or a SNA spell), and you are allowed to choose which one you wish to regain via pearl of power. But since you are already able to spontaneously cast SNA spells, it makes no sense to restore them, and the rational choice would be to get the original spell (flamestrike in this case) back.

Don't quote me on this though. :P
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2008, 02:59:40 AM »
A 88: Yes. Maybe consider crafting a wand and giving it to a rogue to stack on higher SA dice.

A 89: You get Flamestrike back. Just because it was converted to a summon on the way out doesn't change the fact that you prepared the slot as Flamestrike.

A 90: You have to choose which class gets it (it says so right in the feat description... second sentence under "benefits").
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:13:33 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2008, 03:25:45 AM »
Quote from: SRD
Share Spellshe casts on himself also affect his familiar.
Q91: Can I share spells I cast from wands and scrolls? What about staffs? Wondrous items? In essence, who is the caster: the item or me?

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2008, 04:09:51 AM »
Q92 Other than actually increasing size (virtually increasing is fine ie: Jotunbrude [sp?]) and bumping strength, what are some ways to increase your strength/trip check for trips that you initiate?
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2008, 04:18:39 AM »
A92: Martial Study (Mighty Throw)ToB will net you a maneuver that lets you to trip a foe at +4 to Str or Dex, whichever is higher.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2008, 04:25:18 AM »
This is probably my fault for not previously saying this, but I have the way that I plan on initiating trips, but I need things that statically bump my trip.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2008, 04:28:59 AM »
What we see is what you get. Show us the full picture to get a most useful answer.

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #250 on: June 17, 2008, 04:35:16 AM »
I was just trying to be polite to you.

what are some ways to increase your strength/trip check for trips that you initiate?

No clue how you decided that I was looking for a way to trip.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »
Q92 Other than actually increasing size (virtually increasing is fine ie: Jotunbrude [sp?]) and bumping strength, what are some ways to increase your strength/trip check for trips that you initiate?

Wolf berserker (unapproachable east) gives you +4 on trip checks and lets you take improved trip without having to meet the requirements. Magic of faerun has some weapon properties which improve trip checks as well.

I think there might be a thread on the old CO boards on how to optimize your trip check, but I can't find it at the moment. Maybe someone with the link can guide you there?
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »
A 92: The sweeping weapon enhancement (MiC) gives you +2 to the check. Not sure if that's really worth it for a +1 weapon enhancement (I think is used to give a +4 bonus in an older printing).
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
    • Facebook
« Reply #253 on: June 17, 2008, 04:28:38 PM »
Maybe someone with the link can guide you there?

Yeah, I was hoping it would be that simple. I'd hate for the compendium to show up here a few listed at a time. But thank you for those, the Wolf Berserker and Magic of Faerun stuff is new to me, so I'll take a look at those!
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

Aluroon

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2008, 06:59:43 PM »
Q 93 I heard that there is a feat that beats out metamagic song from Races of Stone, but does something similar. What is said feat (if it exists)?

(I saw it mentioned in passing a while back on the old CO boards but... obviously I can't just go find said thread, if I even remembered what it was)

Maximiano

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Good, good.
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2008, 01:07:38 AM »
Q94
The +0 LA race that gives the highest DEX bonus is:
Good gaming for you.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #256 on: June 18, 2008, 01:34:20 AM »
A94: Pretty sure it's the Air Goblin, with +4.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: June 18, 2008, 02:44:21 AM »
A 91: Wands do technically say that you cast the spell in their activation, so I think it can be shared. Scrolls do not. I would say you would have to check each item description specifically.

A 94: I think the Jermlaine gives +6 Dex & Wis.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:47:40 AM by Surreal »
---

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #258 on: June 18, 2008, 03:25:44 AM »
Q85 Is there an LA +0 or +1 race that will give a bonus to wisdom?
A85b: Sunscorch Hobgoblins from Dragon Magic get +2 to Wisdom and Constitution

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: June 18, 2008, 03:56:08 AM »
A85c:  Also, Aasimar gives +2 Wis and Cha, with other minor goodies
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!