Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344203 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1820 on: February 01, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »
Q 647: Not exactly a simple rules question, but rather a "how best to do this?" question.

If you were making a Scandinavian setting, utilizing the concept of the 9 worlds (Asgard, Alfheim, Vanaheim, Midgard, Jotenheim, Nidavellir, Svartalfheim, Muspelheim, and Niflheim [I'm following the belief that Hel is a realm within Niflheim]), how would you fit the ethereal plane (or the plane of shadow) into this?

Specifically I want to make use of Spirit Animals (frostburn), which have a manifesting ability, much like a Ghost, and actually reside on the ethereal plane.  The best I've been able to come up with is that the "ethereal" plane is Vanaheim [as we have almost no info on Vanaheim or the Vanir], which is basically a grandois mirror of the natural aspects of Midgard (much like the realm of faerie in more Anglo-saxon myths), and some of the fauna of Vanaheim can manifest on Midgard.... though they don't really realize it, as the two worlds are very similar.

Alternatively, I could just say that the ethereal plane and the plane of shadow are just transitive planes that are not actually "worlds," per se, but rather just an unseen part of Midgard itself, and is only accessible to fey or undead spirits, or via strong magic.

How would you deal with this?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1821 on: February 01, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »
Q 648: Is there a good list of special monk weapons that includes the ones not in the PHB? I'm surprised at how difficult it is to find, if it does exist.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1822 on: February 02, 2009, 01:54:45 AM »
Q 647: Not exactly a simple rules question, but rather a "how best to do this?" question.

If you were making a Scandinavian setting, utilizing the concept of the 9 worlds (Asgard, Alfheim, Vanaheim, Midgard, Jotenheim, Nidavellir, Svartalfheim, Muspelheim, and Niflheim [I'm following the belief that Hel is a realm within Niflheim]), how would you fit the ethereal plane (or the plane of shadow) into this?

Specifically I want to make use of Spirit Animals (frostburn), which have a manifesting ability, much like a Ghost, and actually reside on the ethereal plane.  The best I've been able to come up with is that the "ethereal" plane is Vanaheim [as we have almost no info on Vanaheim or the Vanir], which is basically a grandois mirror of the natural aspects of Midgard (much like the realm of faerie in more Anglo-saxon myths), and some of the fauna of Vanaheim can manifest on Midgard.... though they don't really realize it, as the two worlds are very similar.

Alternatively, I could just say that the ethereal plane and the plane of shadow are just transitive planes that are not actually "worlds," per se, but rather just an unseen part of Midgard itself, and is only accessible to fey or undead spirits, or via strong magic.

How would you deal with this?

I believe that the closest you could get was to make Alfheim "count" as the ethereal plane. My Norse mythology is a bit rusty, but as I recall Alfheim was the realm closest to Asgard (and if I'm not mistaken it was a necessary stop on the way to Bifrost). Given that all souls would need to traverse it to get there, it could be rife with ghosts of many kinds. (Unfortunately, I can't remember how close Alfheim is to Niflheim).

Also, I don't think Hel is a "separate part" of Niflheim. Hel is the name of goddess of the dead, and thus any reference to "Helheim" is likely just another way of calling Niflheim.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #1823 on: February 02, 2009, 11:51:35 AM »
I believe that the closest you could get was to make Alfheim "count" as the ethereal plane. My Norse mythology is a bit rusty, but as I recall Alfheim was the realm closest to Asgard (and if I'm not mistaken it was a necessary stop on the way to Bifrost).
I don't know about a stop on the way to Asgard, but it was in the branches of Yggdrasil, and thus was on the same "level" as Asgard.  In that respect, it was "closer" to Asgard, but so were Vanaheim and/or Muspelheim (depending on which source you give more credence to).

Basically, I chose to use Vanaheim initially because we know virtually nothing of it.  Though, I could use Alfheim instead; we know almost as little about it, and it then reinforces and allows me to bring in a few minor Celtic elements (the faerie realm, perhaps seelie and unseelie fey).

Given that all souls would need to traverse it to get there, it could be rife with ghosts of many kinds. (Unfortunately, I can't remember how close Alfheim is to Niflheim).
Not close at all.

Also, I don't think Hel is a "separate part" of Niflheim. Hel is the name of goddess of the dead, and thus any reference to "Helheim" is likely just another way of calling Niflheim.
Again, depends on which sources you believe more, as they are conflicting.  There are Nine Worlds, yet different sources list the Nine Worlds differently.  Some list Helheim as a separate world from Niflheim, and do not have Nidavellir (as some sources seem to indicate that Dvergar and Svartalf are the same thing, and thus reside in Svartalfheim).  Other sources list Helheim merely as Hel's hall within Niflheim (just as Valhalla is Odin's hall in Asgard), and then list Nidavellir and Svartalfheim as separate worlds.  I'm chosing to go with the latter, as I want to differentiate dwarves and svartalfar.

Q 649: A warlock can take and use the Craft Magical Arms and Armor feat prior to reaching 12th level, as basic enhanced weapons without special properties have no prerequisite other than a minimum caster level.  Are there any other magic items that similarly do not require actual spells in their crafting, and thus could be used by warlocks to make items prior to 12th level?

Edit: I've found a few Wondrous Items (Boots of Elven Kind, Bracers of Archery), but not many.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #1824 on: February 02, 2009, 03:45:38 PM »
Q650
Assume I'm an Artificer who takes Legendary Artisan to get a 25% XP discount on items I craft.  If I make a level 1 scroll at caster level 1- normally 1 XP- I seemingly would spend 0.75 XP, but since D&D normally rounds down fractions, do I get this item with no XP cost?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #1825 on: February 02, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »
Q650
Assume I'm an Artificer who takes Legendary Artisan to get a 25% XP discount on items I craft.  If I make a level 1 scroll at caster level 1- normally 1 XP- I seemingly would spend 0.75 XP, but since D&D normally rounds down fractions, do I get this item with no XP cost?
No.  Things are often rounded down, but with a minimum of 1.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1826 on: February 02, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »
A 650: (clarification)
Quote from: SRD
ROUNDING FRACTIONS

In general, if you wind up with a fraction, round down, even if the fraction is one-half or larger.

Exception: Certain rolls, such as damage and hit points, have a minimum of 1.

So, unless stated otherwise elsewhere, it is rounded down to 0 XP.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #1827 on: February 02, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »
Q651 How does Level Adjustment work in Gestalt?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1828 on: February 02, 2009, 06:41:01 PM »
Q651 How does Level Adjustment work in Gestalt?

Typically, it takes up one "side" of the gestalt. So if you're level 5 under gestalt rules with a +2 LA, one side will be LA+2/Whatever 3 and the other will be Whatever 5.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #1829 on: February 02, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »
A 650: (clarification)
Quote from: SRD
ROUNDING FRACTIONS

In general, if you wind up with a fraction, round down, even if the fraction is one-half or larger.

Exception: Certain rolls, such as damage and hit points, have a minimum of 1.

So, unless stated otherwise elsewhere, it is rounded down to 0 XP.
Fair enough.  Don't expect it to get past a DM, though.

Quote from: Kuroimaken
Typically, [Level Adjustment] takes up one "side" of the gestalt. So if you're level 5 under gestalt rules with a +2 LA, one side will be LA+2/Whatever 3 and the other will be Whatever 5.
I'll clarify this with a "the rules are silent on the issue."  It is somewhat common to see builds here where a DM adjudicates as Kuroimaken said, but understand there is no rule stating as such.

For example, in my gestalt games LA is split between both sides (assuming it is larger than +1 LA).  A +1 LA creature would could start a game as Class A 1//LA 1, but a +2 LA race would start a second level game as LA 1/Class "A" 1//LA 1/Class "B" 1.

It just depends how the DM decides to rule on the matter.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1830 on: February 02, 2009, 09:26:30 PM »
I'll clarify this with a "the rules are silent on the issue."  It is somewhat common to see builds here where a DM adjudicates as Kuroimaken said, but understand there is no rule stating as such.

Hence why I said "typically".

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #1831 on: February 03, 2009, 12:45:14 AM »

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1832 on: February 04, 2009, 05:34:13 AM »
Former Question: Is there an item that can "hold" Psionic Tattoos for you?

(Aside from, perhaps, purchased animals which are then killed.)

Edit: Argh I can't believe I didn't notice that. I even had the article open already. Tattoo Avatar.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #1833 on: February 04, 2009, 06:09:42 PM »
Q 648: Is there a good list of special monk weapons that includes the ones not in the PHB? I'm surprised at how difficult it is to find, if it does exist.

A648

try this:

PHB:
kama
nunchaku
quarterstaff
sai
shuriken
siangham

Other:
NekodeSteel FinsLajatangLongstaffAdded via Feats:

Double Steel Strike[General](Eb p52)req:Flurry of Blows class ability,Exotic Weapon Proficiency(two-bladed sword),Weapon Focus (two-bladed sword)
You may perform Flurry of Blows with a Two-Bladed Sword.

Serpent Strike[General](Eb p60)req:Flurry of Blows class ability,Simple Weapon Proficiency,Weapon Focus (longspear)
You may perform Flurry of Blows with a Longspear.

Whirling Steel Strike[General](Eb p62)req:Flurry of Blows class ability,Martial Weapon Proficiency(longsword), Weapon Focus (longsword)
You may perform Flurry of Blows with a Longsword.

Flowing Blade [General](WoTC Website)Prerequisite: Ability to generate a mind blade, Weapon Focus (mind blade), flurry of blows class feature.
Benefit: You can treat your mind blade as a special monk weapon so that you can perform a flurry of blows with it.
Special: A kalashtar or Inspired monk can select this as a bonus feat at 2nd or 6th level, in addition to the normal options available at those levels. They must still meet all prerequisites for the feat.

the Feats that change the Form of the Mind Blade open up further Weapon Options

:D

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #1834 on: February 04, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »

A648

try this:

Also the Monk Spade from Secrets of Sarlona

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1835 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:25 AM »
Q649

Stupid Question. Cleric 3 would allow the Initiate of Mystra Feat for my Archivist, do Cleric levels stack with Archivist levels for determining spells or would they be seperate spell pools? If they would be seperate, is there any way to get the feat other than dipping into Cleric?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1836 on: February 05, 2009, 01:16:40 AM »
Q649

Stupid Question. Cleric 3 would allow the Initiate of Mystra Feat for my Archivist, do Cleric levels stack with Archivist levels for determining spells or would they be seperate spell pools? If they would be seperate, is there any way to get the feat other than dipping into Cleric?

Unfortunately, they don't stack (otherwise we'd have PLENTY of Archivist Cleric abominations). And since the feat specifies Cleric levels, I'm afraid you can't get it any other way.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1837 on: February 05, 2009, 01:27:20 AM »
Q650:  I don't suppose there's a list of all of the metamagic feats with ratings somewhere?  I dug through wizard's and sorcerer's handbooks and didn't find any.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1838 on: February 05, 2009, 01:28:42 AM »
Thanks carnivore. That's a lot of help.

A650: I don't know about ratings, but here are all the metamagic feats that I know of. Credit goes to Todd.

Todd
05-20-06, 01:00 PM
SLA Feat Source
0 Black Lore of Moil CA
0 Born or the Three Thunders CA
0 Cooperative Spell CA
0 Energy Substitution CA
0 Lord of the Uttercold CA
0 Sanctum Spell CA
1 Blistering Spell PHB II
1 Consecrate Spell CD
1 Corrupt Spell CD
1 Energize Spell LM
1 Enervate Spell LM
1 Enlarge Spell PHB
1 Extend Spell PHB
1 Fell Weaken LM
1 Fiery Spell SS
1 Flash Frost Spell PHB II
1 Imbued Summoning PHB II
1 Nonleathal Substitution CA
1 Piercing Cold FB
1 Purify Spell BoED
1 Rapid Spell CD
1 Sculpt Spell CA
1 Searing Spell SS
1 Silent Spell PHB
1 Smiting Spell PHB II
1 Still Spell PHB
1 Transdimensional Spell CD & CA
2 Earthbound Spell PHB II
2 Empower Spell PHB
2 Explosive Spell CA
2 Fell Drain LM
2 Fell Frigten LM
2 Occular Spell LoM
2 Reach Spell CD
2 Split Ray CA
3 Chain Spell CA
3 Delay Spell CA
3 Fell Animate LM
3 Maximize Spell PHB
3 Repeat Spell CA
3 Widen Spell PHB
4 Energy Admixture CA
4 Quicken Spell PHB
4 Twin Spell CA
6 Persitant Spell CA
v Fortify Spell CA
v Heighten Spell PHB

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1839 on: February 05, 2009, 01:29:33 AM »
Q654 (I got the number wrong last time ;p)

Thanks, if you have any advice... i'm not sure what to make yet. I'm rolling a level 14 character, 32pt buy, all stats begin at 10. DMM is not allowed, so i'm thinking

Archivist 11, Spelldancer 1(For DMM by dancing), Contemplative 1, Something else....