Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344217 times)

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1780 on: January 28, 2009, 03:48:59 AM »
Q631

If i take the martial study feat, and i have levels in an initiator class, does the maneuver gained become part of my maneuvers known for that class (and subject to it's maneuvers readied limit)?  What if i took the feat several levels before i had levels in an initiator class?

Q632

If i take the martial study feat to gain a Shadowhand maneuver, does that allow me to spend maneuvers or stances gained from later Warblade levels to get more Shadowhand maneuvers/stances?

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #1781 on: January 28, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Q631

If i take the martial study feat, and i have levels in an initiator class, does the maneuver gained become part of my maneuvers known for that class (and subject to it's maneuvers readied limit)? 

Yes.

What if i took the feat several levels before i had levels in an initiator class?

They will be tracked separately. Let us use a fighter4/warblade1 sample character to illustrate this. Say at fighter2, 3 and 4, the player took martial study 3 times to gain the use of 3 1st lv maneuvers (steel wind, stone bones and charging minotaur). He can use each 1/encounter without no option for recharge. He then takes 1 lv of warblade. He gets 3 more maneuvers known and 3 maneuver readied slots, which he can use to ready only the 3 chosen via warblade. He cannot opt to select maneuvers already selected by martial study earlier on (in this case, steel wind, stone bones and charging minotaur), nor can he ready those maneuvers via warblade slots.

You have to decide if extra maneuvers available is worth not being able to refresh them during combat.

It is a fairly effective way of giving monster npcs a lot of maneuvers for a low cr increment (have it take martial study thrice prior to a lv of martial adept). At +1cr, you get the use of 6/7 maneuvers.

Q632

If i take the martial study feat to gain a Shadowhand maneuver, does that allow me to spend maneuvers or stances gained from later Warblade levels to get more Shadowhand maneuvers/stances?

No. You are still limited to the 5 schools listed for warblade.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:48:31 AM by Runestar »
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Vynar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #1782 on: January 28, 2009, 11:27:19 PM »
Q633 I have seen Othyg hole listed in builds as a way to acquire the Iron Will feat but I can't find any information on it. Where is it's information located? A Dragon Magazine perhaps?

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1783 on: January 28, 2009, 11:45:48 PM »
A 633: Complete Scoundrel, p.151
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1784 on: January 29, 2009, 02:07:11 AM »
Q633 I have seen Othyg hole listed in builds as a way to acquire the Iron Will feat but I can't find any information on it. Where is it's information located? A Dragon Magazine perhaps?

As a side note to this, by the original TEXT using an Othyg hole to gain a feat has serious RP implications, and can be seen as similar to so called "RP Flaws".  Consult your DM before using.

As both DM and player, I have no problem with using this- but the Character darn well better be embittered and world-weary if not outright suffering PTSD. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #1785 on: January 29, 2009, 03:30:15 AM »

As a side note to this, by the original TEXT using an Othyg hole to gain a feat has serious RP implications, and can be seen as similar to so called "RP Flaws".  Consult your DM before using.

As both DM and player, I have no problem with using this- but the Character darn well better be embittered and world-weary if not outright suffering PTSD. 

"Um... I'm repressing it.  Yeah.  My powers of denial have given me extremely selective amnesia."
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Arquebuz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #1786 on: January 29, 2009, 04:37:08 AM »
Q634: Anyone know if a warforged's battlefist renders the hand inoperable for other tasks (like two-handing a polearm)?  It is compared to a spiked gauntlet, which wouldn't, but also uses the phrase "completely covers the hand".  The attachable bastard sword specifically notes that the appendage eliminates hand usage, but the battlefist description doesn't.  Wishful thinking?

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1787 on: January 29, 2009, 06:44:40 AM »

"Um... I'm repressing it.  Yeah.  My powers of denial have given me extremely selective amnesia."

Wouldn't fly with me (I have a "you made your bed, now lie in it" attitude), but if YOUR DM buys it, more power to you.

I must be noted that for all that i tend to be a monty haul DM i also make you do a DC 25 survival check to light a fire by rubbing sticks if you forgot the flint and tinder.

jha85

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #1788 on: January 29, 2009, 11:55:32 AM »
Q635: What +1 template should I pick for my Whisper Gnome Warlock? Although anything with +Dex, Con or Cha is great. (I get a +1 LA for free)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1789 on: January 29, 2009, 12:25:47 PM »
Dark is a good choice. Doesn't help any of those stats, but Whisper Gnomes are already good at stealth and this helps immensely with that. If they can't see you, they're flat footed so you hit them easier, and they don't hit you anyways.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #1790 on: January 29, 2009, 12:28:20 PM »
A635: as noted, Dark is a classic.  If you really want the stat bumps, Draconic gives +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Cha
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1791 on: January 29, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »
Q636: Is there a full list of races/templates/etc. somewhere (preferrably not Crystalkeep, as it seems to occasionally leave books out)?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #1792 on: January 29, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »
A635: as noted, Dark is a classic.  If you really want the stat bumps, Draconic gives +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Cha
Don't go for Dark, you can pick up a collar of umbral metamorphosis for fairly cheap.
Planetouched Handbook

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1793 on: January 29, 2009, 01:45:42 PM »
Don't go for Dark, you can pick up a collar of umbral metamorphosis for fairly cheap.

Normally I'd recommend this as well, but the LA is free, and how many other LA 1s actually do something significant for you?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1794 on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »
Depending on ECL, I wouldn't call 10.5k/22k cheap, and as Sunic said, it's free, so he might as well.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1796 on: January 29, 2009, 11:43:45 PM »
Q 637:. A warlock's invocations are all standard actions to invoke (per Comp Arcane), but the spell Summon Swarm takes a full round to cast.  Summon swarm is still only a standard action for a warlock to invoke, correct?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #1797 on: January 30, 2009, 03:32:59 AM »

Normally I'd recommend this as well, but the LA is free, and how many other LA 1s actually do something significant for you?
Ack.  I forgot that warlock levels wouldn't enhance mineral warrior DR.
Planetouched Handbook

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1798 on: January 30, 2009, 03:45:38 AM »
Q 637:. A warlock's invocations are all standard actions to invoke (per Comp Arcane), but the spell Summon Swarm takes a full round to cast.  Summon swarm is still only a standard action for a warlock to invoke, correct?

A 637: SLA's, and invocations, only take one standard action to cast. The only listed differences between SLA's and invocations is the Somatic component, and the spell failure in med. or heavy armor.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

tusk

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • This is Petrucci!
    • Care to spare a click?  ;)
« Reply #1799 on: January 30, 2009, 06:55:54 AM »
Q 638: Can someone explain how Planar Touchstone(Plh) works? As far as I understand is that you become attuned to a place, and you get some powers(with quite a bit of limits), but there's no mentioning I can get domain powers with it as far as I'm aware of.