Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344205 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1740 on: January 26, 2009, 02:08:03 AM »
Q621) So, is it actually possible for a tenth level party to defeat a calzone golem owned by a fire wizard with anything other than ability drain or extreme luck?  Magic immunity + natural armor through the roof makes it pretty much walking death.  Especially so, for a CR 3 monster...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:40:22 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1741 on: January 26, 2009, 02:34:24 AM »
Q622 What's a calzone golem?
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1742 on: January 26, 2009, 02:41:01 AM »
Q622 What's a calzone golem?

A tasty golem made with cheese, meat, and a doughy crust, which is then fried.  One of the tastiest golems around!

JaronK

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #1743 on: January 26, 2009, 02:52:19 AM »
Poison and Ammunition: What? Is it like magic weapons and ammunition? My instinct says no.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1744 on: January 26, 2009, 02:52:52 AM »
The thing about magic immunity is that it's only for direct effects. You could always have a handful of wizards or beholders disintegrate five or six 10 foot cubes of space  right out from under it. Unless it shoots cheese at you or something, you should be okay.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #1745 on: January 26, 2009, 03:14:55 AM »
The thing about magic immunity is that it's only for direct effects. You could always have a handful of wizards or beholders disintegrate five or six 10 foot cubes of space  right out from under it. Unless it shoots cheese at you or something, you should be okay.

It somehow seems excessive to need a sixth level spell to destroy a CR 3 creature.

Are there any construct summoning powers that run off hit dice?  They're only 6 hd..
Planetouched Handbook

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #1746 on: January 26, 2009, 03:19:43 AM »
Q617: I seem to remember a Magical Location somewhere that granted Skill Focus (Spellcraft) as a bonus feat. Anyone know which one it is and where it's located?

Bumpy
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Bell

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #1747 on: January 26, 2009, 04:08:36 AM »
Q617: I seem to remember a Magical Location somewhere that granted Skill Focus (Spellcraft) as a bonus feat. Anyone know which one it is and where it's located?

Bumpy

A617: I'm not certain (because I'm too lazy to check right now), but I would suggest PHB2 as a good place to check for it.  It has that whole section on magical locations.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1748 on: January 26, 2009, 04:13:48 AM »
Q621) So, is it actually possible for a tenth level party to defeat a calzone golem owned by a fire wizard with anything other than ability drain or extreme luck?  Magic immunity + natural armor through the roof makes it pretty much walking death.  Especially so, for a CR 3 monster...

I'm not seeing the problem... it has AC 13 and 33 HP.  A basic Barbarian at that level (Orc Barbarian 3, Strength 20, Masterwork Greatsword, then Raging) would have a +11 to hit (nearly auto hit) dealing 17 damage per hit on average, enough to drop the golem in two hits.  And then afterwords he gets a tasty snack.  It's a perfect match!

JaronK

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1749 on: January 26, 2009, 04:16:37 AM »
You're an ECL 10 party. I assumed it was something tough.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #1750 on: January 26, 2009, 04:44:56 AM »

I'm not seeing the problem... it has AC 13 and 33 HP.  A basic Barbarian at that level (Orc Barbarian 3, Strength 20, Masterwork Greatsword, then Raging) would have a +11 to hit (nearly auto hit) dealing 17 damage per hit on average, enough to drop the golem in two hits.  And then afterwords he gets a tasty snack.  It's a perfect match!

JaronK

Owned by a fire wizard.

It gains one point of natural armor/3 points of fire damage.  This lasts for d4 hours

Stick a flaming sphere by it an hour before the confrontation.  It now has natural armor 18.  Use two, it has natural armor 36.

Not quite unmissable.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 04:46:54 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1751 on: January 26, 2009, 05:03:26 AM »
Orb of ____ ignores SR, so it works on things immune to magic most of the time.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #1752 on: January 26, 2009, 05:09:36 AM »
Orb of ____ ignores SR, so it works on things immune to magic most of the time.

Sorry, but this has different magic immunity than clay or flesh golems

Magic Immunity(ex) : Calzone golems are immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, except as follows. Cold-based effects slow them (as the slow spell) for 2d6 rounds, no saving throw. Fire-based effects deal no damage but rather harden the golem temporarily, increasing its natural armor bonus by +1 for every 3 points of damage it would otherwise deal (this hardening fades after 1d4 hours). The golem rolls no saving throw against fire effects.

Contrast with:
Immunity to Magic (Ex)

A clay golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

This came up entirely because I was considering giving my players a calzone golem as a joke... then I looked at the stats, and realized that it could become an unstoppable, delicious juggernaut.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:13:06 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Caedrus

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #1753 on: January 26, 2009, 06:57:25 AM »
Q623: Hold Person states that the effect is Will Negates; no problem. But, the spell also states that "...each round on its turn, the subject may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect." (Emphasis Mine). Does this mean that the target does NOT get an immediate Save, but rather, the first save the target gets is on their turn?

(Because if so, Coup de Grace shenanigans are about to occur).

C.
Goodnight, Gentlemen; and Thank You.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #1754 on: January 26, 2009, 07:13:32 AM »
A623: I believe that you are always allotted a save as soon as the spell goes into affect. And this line "Each round on its turn, the subject may attempt a new saving throw to end the effect." Indicates a New save on its turn, meaning a Previous save must have been made in order for a new save to be made.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #1755 on: January 26, 2009, 07:56:29 AM »
Q624: Could someone point me to an official WotC listing off all source books that are not only in the d20 system? Since 3.5 stopped I have been collecting my butt off but I find conflicting answer as to what campaign settings are WotC approved (for instance the Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting and the Ravenloft campaign setting have an official WotC seal on their stuff while Dungeon Magazines don't even though they are included in the crystal keep info)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #1756 on: January 26, 2009, 08:00:48 AM »
Q624: Could someone point me to an official WotC listing off all source books that are not only in the d20 system? Since 3.5 stopped I have been collecting my butt off but I find conflicting answer as to what campaign settings are WotC approved (for instance the Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting and the Ravenloft campaign setting have an official WotC seal on their stuff while Dungeon Magazines don't even though they are included in the crystal keep info)

A624
try this:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/ps

:D

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1757 on: January 26, 2009, 09:52:41 AM »
I honestly can't see much of a use to wasting your time and XP on Research if you can't go over the strict Powers Known cap
It lets you learn a power not normally on your powers list or to learn a new, custom-made power.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #1758 on: January 26, 2009, 01:00:19 PM »
A624
try this:
That doesn't list dragon magazines or dungeon magazines or Dragon Magic or Age of mortals and the bestiary of Kyrnn from the dragonlance campaign setting or Dragons of Eberron or ...Q624: Where can I find the entire list of what source books are 3.5 and 3.0 but not updated after 3.5 official, and what is merely D20?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:50:23 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1759 on: January 26, 2009, 01:54:32 PM »
A624
try this:
That doesn't list dragon magazines or dungeon magazines or Dragon Magic or Age of mortals and the bestiary of Kyrnn from the dragonlance campaign setting or Dragons of Eberron or ...Q624: Where can I find the entire list of what is official, and what is merely D20?

A624:  All official WoTC publications.  Dragon and Dungeon Magazines aren't "official", and a lot of the Dragonlance books weren't printed by WoTC, just like the Ravenloft Campaign Setting books before Expidition to Castle Ravenloft came out.  See here.

Edit: Forgot to mention that they're still official books since they're official liscensees of WoTC.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:59:16 PM by Nanshork »
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self