Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344214 times)

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1520 on: January 07, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
A 554: I don't think anyone's mentioned Gauntlets of the Talon yet (relic, Complete Divine, p.91). Increases your effective monk level by 5 for unarmed damage. You can also check my "lists of stuff" for more ways in increase damage.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1521 on: January 08, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »
Q557: Is there a way to get Improved Natural Attack other than taking the feat? Note: This is NOT for unarmed strike, so Fanged Ring doesn't do what I want it to do sadly. Ideally it would give INA: all natural attacks, though INA: any natural attack (bite, claw, wing, tail slap) would also suffice.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #1522 on: January 08, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
A557: Is there a specific attack you want it to apply to? An item of Greater mighty wallop would do it in case of bludgeoning damage and an item of Heroics at all cases. Probably not what you are looking for though.

Handy Links

CannibalSmith

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #1523 on: January 09, 2009, 04:16:26 AM »
A557: Quori embedded shard in Eberron Campaign Setting increases your unarmed damage by one step as if you've taken Improved Natural Attack. It stacks with the feat too. If you're warforged, there's battlefist that increases your slam/unarmed the same way.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1524 on: January 09, 2009, 09:59:50 AM »
Q557: Just getting a bit of clarification on this one... would a Morphing Sizing weapon be possible to change into ANY melee or thrown weapon?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

CannibalSmith

• COBoard Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #1525 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:53 AM »
A557b: Sure! All the way from fine dart to colossal greatsword.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1526 on: January 09, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »
A557: Is there a specific attack you want it to apply to? An item of Greater mighty wallop would do it in case of bludgeoning damage and an item of Heroics at all cases. Probably not what you are looking for though.

As stated, any/all of the following: Bite/claw/wing/tail slap. Greater Mighty Whallop would affect the last two, but would probably be too good because it's more than one size increase.

Which brings us to the next part.

Q558: A creature with no Monk levels has a Monk's Belt and Superior Unarmed Strike. Does he use the appropriate line on Superior Unarmed Strike, the appropriate line on SUS + 5, or just do unarmed combat as a 9th level Monk? Does the data for SUS go above level 20 anywhere or rather, is it supposed to to allow for easy extrapolation?

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1527 on: January 09, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »
Bite attacks are actually piercing, slashing and bludgeoning, so GMW ought to effect it.

Handy Links

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1528 on: January 09, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »
As stated, any/all of the following: Bite/claw/wing/tail slap. Greater Mighty Whallop would affect the last two, but would probably be too good because it's more than one size increase.
So take normal Mighty Wallop. That's level 1 and only increases size by 1.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1529 on: January 09, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »
A 554: I don't think anyone's mentioned Gauntlets of the Talon yet (relic, Complete Divine, p.91). Increases your effective monk level by 5 for unarmed damage. You can also check my "lists of stuff" for more ways in increase damage.

I'm pretty sure I took all of the monk level increasing stuff and put it in my handbook (I did use your list for it).  If not: bingo.  Also: my handbook lists many good ways to effectively increase base damage.

An item of Greater mighty wallop would do it in case of bludgeoning damage...

I believe there is a spell that makes weapons effectively bludgeoning weapons (Earth Hammer maybe?), so that+GMW would work.  Wait.....it's.....Dolorous Blow.  It also does something else good.

A558: The rules aren't clear, so I would say whatever is best.  So SUS unless you got above monk level....14?, so you'd need Monk's Tattoo and something else (I wouldn't bother, 2d6 isn't all that far off 2d10).

So take normal Mighty Wallop. That's level 1 and only increases size by 1.

Or GMW at a low CL (10 does well, and is only 2 or 3 increases: 2d6-3d6-4d6...-6d6-8d6, so why not do all the way?), because MW is only 1 min/level, iirc.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1530 on: January 09, 2009, 12:26:54 PM »
Is there rules text for that somewhere Tshern?

Ok, so Monk's Belt doesn't boost unarmed damage but still gives Wis to AC + 1 and other stuff.

Dolorous blow... doubles crit range and allows auto confirms, but doesn't work on natural weapons and doesn't do anything about effectively bludgeoning. Is there another one aside from the SC one?

The reason I don't do it all the way is because it's already a freakin' optimized dragon, and I don't want to overdo it. After all, just SUS means 4d6 + many other things on an unarmed strike sequence in addition to the full set of natural attacks. It has a CL of 11th right out of the gate, but would probably have Practiced Spellcaster to not be so much Dispel bait.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #1531 on: January 09, 2009, 12:30:29 PM »
Sunic: SRD on natural attacks. The first one is about bites.

Quote from: SRD
Bite

The creature attacks with its mouth, dealing piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage.

Handy Links

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #1532 on: January 09, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »
Q559: Could someone please point me to the text in core that specificies that a spell cast above 1st level requires a specific caster level? For instance it appears 9th level spells would fail automatically if the caster was somehow reduced to a caster level of 16... it seems the mechanics should be able to support a higher level spell cast at a caster level of 1, atleast the way I see it.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #1533 on: January 09, 2009, 01:00:32 PM »
Q559: Could someone please point me to the text in core that specificies that a spell cast above 1st level requires a specific caster level? For instance it appears 9th level spells would fail automatically if the caster was somehow reduced to a caster level of 16... it seems the mechanics should be able to support a higher level spell cast at a caster level of 1, atleast the way I see it.

Semi related:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm

You cannot lower the caster level to below the point you would need to cast the spell in question, which also is saying that there is a minimum caster level.

Q560: Corollary: A 10th level Wizard has Practiced Spellcaster, despite his lack of CL loss. He gets hit by 1 or more negative levels. Does the Practiced Spellcaster offset the appropriate energy drain penalties?

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #1534 on: January 09, 2009, 02:54:03 PM »
A560: No, Practiced Spellcaster can only improve you CL to your HD and negative levels lower your effective HD.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Arcane-surge

« Reply #1535 on: January 09, 2009, 07:25:10 PM »
Q560: Where would I find a battle fan or somesuch? I know there is one somewhere, possibly in 3.5 D&D, but cannot remember where.
This space intentionally left blank.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #1536 on: January 09, 2009, 07:33:33 PM »
Q 561: Can I apply divine metamagic to scrolls? Can I use divine metamagic with residual magic? Could I use divine metamagic to persist a spell duplicated with a wish/miracle? Could I then use residual magic to persist a second, different spell, using another casting of wish? I.E, Use wish to imitate prestidigitation, DMM persist it, and then use wish to imitate shapechange, would the imitated shapechange be persisted? Also, can I do this with a shadow conjuration or shadow evocation spell, even if they're imitating different spells?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #1537 on: January 09, 2009, 07:33:45 PM »
Q560: Where would I find a battle fan or somesuch? I know there is one somewhere, possibly in 3.5 D&D, but cannot remember where.
A 560

There's one in Oriental Adventures, and I think it's also in the Arms and Equipment Guide. I don't know if it was updated to 3.5, though.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #1538 on: January 09, 2009, 07:37:47 PM »
Q 561: Can I apply divine metamagic to scrolls? Can I use divine metamagic with residual magic? Could I use divine metamagic to persist a spell duplicated with a wish/miracle? Could I then use residual magic to persist a second, different spell, using another casting of wish? I.E, Use wish to imitate prestidigitation, DMM persist it, and then use wish to imitate shapechange, would the imitated shapechange be persisted? Also, can I do this with a shadow conjuration or shadow evocation spell, even if they're imitating different spells?

Doubtful but I'm not sure, absolutely, I believe so as long as the original miracle or wish is divine.  Certainly, it's an old SCM trick.

The SCM version of this is to use Residual Metamagic, Heighten Spell (with Earth Spell), and Echoing Spell.  Cast Silent Image hightened to level X.  Next round, cast Echoing Silent Image (3rd level slot due to subsitution level) which is heightened to X due to Residual Metamagic.  Next round, cast Heightened Silent Image, which is residually echoing.  Repeat, blasting away with as many spells as you want, all shadow spells.  In one hour, all but the first spell comes back.  Neat.

JaronK

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #1539 on: January 09, 2009, 07:42:18 PM »
:D wow that's incredible. So could you theoretically cast a spell level X from a silent image, and then cast a spell level (level of silent image) + X*2? Like heighten it to a 9th level spell and then heighten another next turn to get an epic spellslot? I have no idea what the fuck you'd do with it, but could you do it?