Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344206 times)

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1060 on: November 13, 2008, 11:22:53 AM »
Lets try this again...
Q402: are there any gargantuan or colossal playable races? (crystal keep listed none)

A402: yes.  Any gargantuan or colossal creature with an LA, or any non-mindless (int 3+, can't be animalistic int either) G or C creature if you talk with your DM (to set an LA and such).  Off-hand I'd think some giants might qualify.  Note that all of them will have LAs and Racial HD of 15+, probably more than 20 total, so good luck finding one before epic.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #1061 on: November 13, 2008, 11:45:01 PM »
A402: yes.  Any gargantuan or colossal creature with an LA, or any non-mindless (int 3+, can't be animalistic int either) G or C creature if you talk with your DM (to set an LA and such).  Off-hand I'd think some giants might qualify.  Note that all of them will have LAs and Racial HD of 15+, probably more than 20 total, so good luck finding one before epic.

Great!... Can you give me any WotC pre-epic example Gargantuan or Colossal creature without resorting to DM fiat? All I need is a source book and page number (or link for web articles) :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:23:47 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #1062 on: November 14, 2008, 12:00:29 AM »
Great!... Can you give me any WotC example Gargantuan or Colossal creature without resorting to DM fiat? All I need is a source book and page number (or link for web articles) :)
Treant after 17HD
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:05:27 AM by Rebel7284 »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #1063 on: November 14, 2008, 03:11:49 AM »
I meant pre-epic. Also advancing HD for size should alter LA but usually races don't mention the LA change associated with extra HD...
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1064 on: November 14, 2008, 03:33:55 AM »
That's because LA doesn't change with added racial HD.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #1065 on: November 14, 2008, 08:43:19 PM »
Q 404:This might not be a simple question.  Aside from burning a higher spell slot, how can one increase the damage dealt with Arcane Strike?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #1066 on: November 14, 2008, 09:03:22 PM »
A404: burning a lot of low level slots might do the trick, since only the attack bonus is capped, not the damage...

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #1067 on: November 15, 2008, 09:57:31 AM »
A 404b Dice manipulation abilities, like Aura of Chaos (Crusader stance) or Luck Devotion (not worth it).
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #1068 on: November 15, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
q405; what is the benefits of the Dragontouched feat from Dragon Magic?

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #1069 on: November 15, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »
A405: Gain the Dragonblood subtype, the ability to select draconic feats as if you were a sorcerer, and some minor unnamed skill/save bonuses.

highbulp

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #1070 on: November 15, 2008, 01:07:04 PM »
(Reposted so this doesn't get lost in the shuffle (also renumbered, as I think I was off))

Q406: Can you pounce on a mounted charge?

(If this doesn't end up being a simple question, I'll move it to its own thread.)

Relevant rules text:
Quote from: Rules Compendium pg. 89

I originally thought that you could (since... you know--you charged), but it looks like instead it's your mount who is actually charging. It's just that when you make an attack (a standard action) after your mount has charged, you get the bonus and penalty to AC as well. And then double damage when you use a lance. This means you still have your move action to spend on something else.

(406b): Of course, if your mount is charging, how does the reach from a Lance work? Does your mount use a Charge but not actually take his attack at the end since he doesn't have reach, and then you use your standard action to make the double-damage lance attack?

(406c): Can a PC even take a charge action while mounted (or does that by definition involve dismounting, since you're moving out of the mount's space)? Or can the horse move/charge along with you, spending its move actions along with yours (perhaps limited to your movement)? And if so, does that count as "using a lance from the back of a charging mount"?

EDIT: Also,
Spirited Charge: When mounted and using the charge action, you deal double damage with a melee weapon (or triple damage with a lance)

Thanks!

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #1071 on: November 15, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »
I originally thought that you could (since... you know--you charged), but it looks like instead it's your mount who is actually charging. It's just that when you make an attack (a standard action) after your mount has charged, you get the bonus and penalty to AC as well. And then double damage when you use a lance. This means you still have your move action to spend on something else.
Wait.  So, if you have an extra Standard Action, you can charge attack twice in a round? :evil
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #1072 on: November 15, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »
Q407: This is for anyone with the Hyperconscious book, by Bruce Cordell. Under the Awakened Dreamer Prestige Class, in the flavor text it says that 'the awakened dreamer never sleeps.' If this is the case, how does the Awakened Dreamer get its power points back?

Edit: Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:41:23 PM by Negative Zero »

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1073 on: November 15, 2008, 10:37:15 PM »
A 407: No, but he still has to rest.

Quote from: SRD
To clear his mind, he must first sleep for 8 hours. The character does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but he must refrain from movement, combat, manifesting powers, skill use, conversation, or any other demanding physical or mental task during the rest period.

Edit: No Problem! (also, I forgot to number the answer)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:11:53 AM by Chemus »
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Laime

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #1074 on: November 16, 2008, 05:53:52 AM »
Q408 Does a Swordsage automatically gain proficiency with weapon he has Discipline Focus in? For example, proficiency with nunchaku(exotic, thus a Swordsage is not normally proficient with it) if they choose Setting Sun as their focus discipline.

Q409 Does a Swordsage choosing a Discipline Focus in a discipline with unarmed strike as assosiated weapon (setting sun, stone dragon, shadow hand, tiger claw) gain Improved Unarmed Strike feat?

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #1075 on: November 16, 2008, 11:07:42 AM »
A408/9) No.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #1076 on: November 17, 2008, 07:35:49 PM »
Q410: For Persistent Spell, what is an example of a "fixed" range?  It is something like "a 10-ft cube centered on X", or "target object"?

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #1077 on: November 17, 2008, 07:41:51 PM »
Q410: For Persistent Spell, what is an example of a "fixed" range?  It is something like "a 10-ft cube centered on X", or "target object"?
Both of those are target entries. A fixed range is something like "Range: 30 feet". Close, Medium and Long range are all non-fixed ranges. Touch is a fixed range, but not expressed in feet.
I know gameology-fu.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1078 on: November 17, 2008, 07:57:43 PM »
Both of those are target entries. A fixed range is something like "Range: 30 feet". Close, Medium and Long range are all non-fixed ranges. Touch is a fixed range, but not expressed in feet.
According to the FAQ, touch is not a fixed range spell for the purposes of Persistent spell.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #1079 on: November 17, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »
According to the FAQ, touch is not a fixed range spell for the purposes of Persistent spell.
You're right; its range is your reach, which isn't fixed.
I know gameology-fu.