Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer  (Read 344211 times)

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a simple answer
« Reply #1040 on: November 11, 2008, 03:00:10 PM »
A 399 Magic of Eberron.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1041 on: November 12, 2008, 04:51:12 AM »
Q 400: Can manyshot be combined with fell shot since it is one attack roll, or does only the first arrow count as a touch attack?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #1042 on: November 12, 2008, 04:54:18 AM »
A400: Manyshot is one ranged attack. As such, Fell Shot lets you resolve this as a touch attack. Greater Manyshot, on the other hand, will only give 1 touch attack, as it is 2-4 separate attacks.
I know gameology-fu.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #1043 on: November 12, 2008, 11:24:20 AM »
A401) The martial study feat is worded a little oddly (to me at least), so bear with me here.

Am I correct in the following interpretation?

Say I am a fighter10 who has taken the martial study feat 3 times to acquire the following maneuvers - moment of perfect mind, wall of blades, iron heart surge. I can normally use each maneuver 1/encounter, with no recovery method.

What then happens if I take a lv of warblade at lv11? Will I be able to ready the maneuvers selected via martial study with my warblade slots?

How many maneuvers can I use at that lv? 6 -> 3 from the martial study feats, and 3 from warblade1?
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1044 on: November 12, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
A401) The martial study feat is worded a little oddly (to me at least), so bear with me here.

Am I correct in the following interpretation?

Say I am a fighter10 who has taken the martial study feat 3 times to acquire the following maneuvers - moment of perfect mind, wall of blades, iron heart surge. I can normally use each maneuver 1/encounter, with no recovery method.

What then happens if I take a lv of warblade at lv11? Will I be able to ready the maneuvers selected via martial study with my warblade slots?

How many maneuvers can I use at that lv? 6 -> 3 from the martial study feats, and 3 from warblade1?

A 401: My reading of it indicates that any maneuvers you gained before gaining a level in a martial adept base class are forever separate from the maneuvers gained after you take a level of Crusader, Warblade, or Sword Sage.  As such, in your example above, the three maneuvers you gained via Martial Study cannot be readied in your warblade readied maneuver slots.  This is both a blessing and a curse.  One, they can't be refreshed (which the feat clearly states as such), but, you do go into an encounter with 3 "additional" maneuvers readied.  It just so happens that you can't refresh them.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1045 on: November 12, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »
A400: Manyshot is one ranged attack. As such, Fell Shot lets you resolve this as a touch attack. Greater Manyshot, on the other hand, will only give 1 touch attack, as it is 2-4 separate attacks.

Q400B: Do all sources of bonus damage only apply to the first arrow, such as psionic shot?
Notes to self

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1046 on: November 12, 2008, 05:36:19 PM »
A400b: As I read it, you roll damage multiple times. There are specific exceptions for criticals and precision based damage, but for other bonuses, RAW you add them to each damage roll. This includes bonus damage dice such as Psionic Shot or the Fiery weapon enhancement.

Psionic Shot applies to one ranged attack. Manyshot is one ranged attack with multiple damage rolls. Thus, the benefit is gained multiple times.

Good luck finding a DM that will let this one fly, though. And again, Greater Manyshot invalidates all this by being separate attacks in one action.
I know gameology-fu.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1047 on: November 12, 2008, 05:57:54 PM »
I have no interest in precision damage, so greater manyshot is out for this idea.  Hmm, if no DM would really let it fly then it's pointless to consider.
Notes to self

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #1048 on: November 12, 2008, 07:32:38 PM »
Good luck finding a DM that will let this one fly, though. And again, Greater Manyshot invalidates all this by being separate attacks in one action.
I don't think it's that big a deal. Compare it to a Swift Hunter with Travel Devotion and Rapid Shot: I don't think it comes out on top.

(Note that you can't move since you need to refocus, and your target must be within 30ft.)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1049 on: November 12, 2008, 07:55:33 PM »
Ahh, I'm AFB, didn't know there was a range limit.
Notes to self

Farodin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #1050 on: November 12, 2008, 07:58:35 PM »
Q393: How does the bonus on damage rolls from Knowledge Devotion interact with spells like Magic Missile, or Scorching Ray? As far as I can see it works on all damage rolls (RAW), but that might make some spells a little bit too powerful...

So I assume the same story applies here?
I own your soul now.
I can see what you see not, vision milky then eyes rot.
When you turn they will be gone, whispering their hidden song.
Then you see what cannot be, shadows move where light should be.
Out of darkness, out of mind - cast down into the halls of the blind.

highbulp

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #1051 on: November 12, 2008, 10:15:01 PM »
Q401: Can you pounce on a mounted charge?

(If this doesn't end up being a simple question, I'll move it to its own thread.)

Relevant rules text:
Quote from: Rules Compendium pg. 89

I originally thought that you could (since... you know--you charged), but it looks like instead it's your mount who is actually charging. It's just that when you make an attack (a standard action) after your mount has charged, you get the bonus and penalty to AC as well. And then double damage when you use a lance. This means you still have your move action to spend on something else.

(401b): Of course, if your mount is charging, how does the reach from a Lance work? Does your mount use a Charge but not actually take his attack at the end since he doesn't have reach, and then you use your standard action to make the double-damage lance attack?

(401c): Can a PC even take a charge action while mounted (or does that by definition involve dismounting, since you're moving out of the mount's space)? Or can the horse move/charge along with you, spending its move actions along with yours (perhaps limited to your movement)? And if so, does that count as "using a lance from the back of a charging mount"?

Thanks!

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #1052 on: November 12, 2008, 10:31:25 PM »
Q393: How does the bonus on damage rolls from Knowledge Devotion interact with spells like Magic Missile, or Scorching Ray? As far as I can see it works on all damage rolls (RAW), but that might make some spells a little bit too powerful...

So I assume the same story applies here?
I'm 100% certain it works with weaponlike spells (spells that requre attack rolls *and* deal damage, like Scorching Ray, which you would get each time). As for magic missile, KD is a generic (insight) bonus to damage rolls, and you're making a damage roll. I *think* it applies, but I'm not sure. Since there is *no* attack roll, it's messier, but you are probably rolling damage five times, and should get the bonus five times.
I know gameology-fu.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1053 on: November 12, 2008, 11:07:19 PM »
I don't think it's that big a deal. Compare it to a Swift Hunter with Travel Devotion and Rapid Shot: I don't think it comes out on top.

(Note that you can't move since you need to refocus, and your target must be within 30ft.)

Callix, while Psionic Shot/ Greater Psionic Shot require Point Blank Shot, they do not require you to be within 30ft to use them.
Notes to self

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #1054 on: November 13, 2008, 12:15:29 AM »
No, but Manyshot does.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #1055 on: November 13, 2008, 02:40:15 AM »
Lets try this again...
Q402: are there any gargantuan or colossal playable races? (crystal keep listed none)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #1056 on: November 13, 2008, 02:48:17 AM »
Notes to self

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #1057 on: November 13, 2008, 05:28:57 AM »
Q403: Are there any ways without magic items or prestige classing to boost eldritch blast damage with only 1 warlock level? (such as to qualify for eldritch theurge)
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #1058 on: November 13, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »
A 403 (but not really) I seem to remember Practiced Spellcaster increases you EB damage ? Not sure though.
But the FAQ says Warlocks can't take PS. Hmm... I'll let people more familiar with the warlock pipe in.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #1059 on: November 13, 2008, 11:05:15 AM »
A 403 (but not really) I seem to remember Practiced Spellcaster increases you EB damage ? Not sure though.
But the FAQ says Warlocks can't take PS. Hmm... I'll let people more familiar with the warlock pipe in.
The FAQ is wrong, as practiced spellcaster only requires a certain caster level, which warlock gives you.  Practiced Spellcaster does not, however, increase your EB damage.  Eldritch Blast damage is tied to warlock level, not caster level.  Practiced Spellcaster will increase the caster level of your other invocations, if they have effects determined by caster level (not many do).  For example, I think it would increase the range of Flee the Scene.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread