Author Topic: Shadowrun??  (Read 26594 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Re: Shadowrun??
« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2009, 12:26:57 PM »
Kari, are you working on answers to the messages that I sent you?  Don't worry, I'm not actually waiting on you, I want to figure my equipment list on paper before I start building him.

Hmmmm, I'll think about the Knowsoft link.  Figuring out just what I want to shoot people with is hard.   :p

Edit:  Will a heavy pistol and an assault rifle be good enough?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:42:29 PM by Nanshork »
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2009, 05:45:23 PM »
How much of my gear needs to be modified for being a troll?

I'd wager that any clothes/armor will have to be modified, but I think it says in the book that weapons work the same for any race. Vehicles may need to be adjusted for size, I believe. I think trolls get a penalty for trying to drive a human-sized car.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2009, 06:21:11 PM »

If you wear it, hold it, or get inside it, it probably needs to be modified.  Remember, you have the hands and upper body of someone over 12 feet tall (the legs of someone 6' tall but much thicker, so your total height is around 9').  So guns and weapons, cars, clothing... lots of stuff.  It ain't easy being a troll.

JaronK

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2009, 06:30:31 PM »
Hey JaronK, for a Street Samurai will a heavy pistol and an assault rifle be good, with a handblade as my backup melee?  Or is the assault rifle a bit much, especially since I can't put a sling on it so I'm not sure how I can carry it when it's not in my hands.
Notes to self

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2009, 07:17:13 PM »
If you wear it, ride it, or stick your fingers in it, it needs the modifications. Generally, this does include most guns, as well as clothes/armor, and vehicles. Other items are a case by case. Just remember you have -big- fingers (think closer to sausages) to go with that big body.

Kari, are you working on answers to the messages that I sent you?  Don't worry, I'm not actually waiting on you, I want to figure my equipment list on paper before I start building him.

Hmmmm, I'll think about the Knowsoft link.  Figuring out just what I want to shoot people with is hard.   :p

Edit:  Will a heavy pistol and an assault rifle be good enough?
Of course I am. Last couple of days has been busy for me, but I am working on things.

The only real benefit of an assault rifle is the huge benefit, and the Burst Fire/Full-Auto modes. On a per-shot basis, they do less damage than a Ares Predator - and while an assault rifle casn have a suppressor on it, they're still noisy and likely to draw attention. (Admittedly, assault rifles sometimes have nice add-ons already, like grenade launchers and the like.)

Personally, if I'm going for a BF/FA weapon, I'd rather get a proper LMG - which generally starts with a damage code of 7S.  :smirk

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2009, 07:21:06 PM »
Hey JaronK, for a Street Samurai will a heavy pistol and an assault rifle be good, with a handblade as my backup melee?  Or is the assault rifle a bit much, especially since I can't put a sling on it so I'm not sure how I can carry it when it's not in my hands.

IIRC you can have a sling on an assault rifle.  It's certainly good enough to be effective.  Of course, this all depends on what the DM throws at us.  If all the corpsec guards are using assault rifles (which is quite possible) then the ability to use their guns effectively would be awful handy.  Plus, underbarrel grenade launchers are fun.   If however we've got tons of armored vehicles coming at us it will be sad if we can't punch holes in them!

JaronK

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2009, 07:48:07 PM »
@ Kari: Just making sure.   :p  Take all the time you need. 

The two weapons I'm leaning towards are: Ares Predator III and Ares Alpha Assault Rifle (which has a built in grenade launcher).  How's that sound?

As for the sling, for some reason I was separating Assualt Rifles from Rifles since the skills are seperate, heh.
Notes to self

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2009, 09:44:53 PM »
I definitely think the grenade launcher is a good idea, just because without it there's not much that assault rifles offer that pistols don't.  Make sure you've got good recoil compensation by the way... Gas Vents help a lot.  Sending a bunch of bullets near their head isn't nearly as good as sending a bunch of bullets into their head!

I'd recommend at least one silent weapon.  Remember that burst weapons aren't silent (except the Slivergun), so factor that into your considerations.  Also, Bayonettes are fun, since they let you have a reach 2 weapon ready if you get attacked in melee while still letting you shoot freely.  My weapon pair is a sawed off SPAS and a bayonetted SPAS... one for concealed weaponry, one when we're being obvious.  I can only take out enemies silently if I'm close enough to use the Bayonette, but that's okay... I'm more of a medic/street sam anyway.

JaronK

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2009, 09:52:34 PM »
So, do we have a biotech skill? I can have 2 points in it, but I'd prefer those go elsewhere.

My weapon pair is an Ares Predator III along with a whip and riot shield. Question, however: I can't find rules for switching weapons, just quick-drawing pistols or pistol-like weapons. How long would it take me to go from a pistol to the whip and riot shield in combat without dropping the pistol?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2009, 11:30:46 PM »
So, do we have a biotech skill? I can have 2 points in it, but I'd prefer those go elsewhere.

My medic has a Savior Advanced Medkit, Biotech 6, and Medicine 6.  With that said, you could just spend a tiny amount for a Rating 6 medkit, which is cheap enough and can get the job done (and you can use it on my medic if I get hurt).

My weapon pair is an Ares Predator III along with a whip and riot shield. Question, however: I can't find rules for switching weapons, just quick-drawing pistols or pistol-like weapons. How long would it take me to go from a pistol to the whip and riot shield in combat without dropping the pistol?

I don't remember, to be honest.   

JaronK

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2009, 01:00:49 AM »
I think that we can safely say we have a team, and, as soon as Kari gets his ducks in a row (not to hurry you, I promise) a game. So, with this in mind, and a foreseeable end to this character creation in sight, we need to start coordinating.

What kinds of roles are we filling right now? I'm a pretty solid mage, I think.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2009, 01:08:22 AM »
Commiserate Street Samurai.  Knows the basics in multiple weapons, cybered to the max, very high body and armor scores.
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2009, 01:22:45 AM »
Street Shaman, with a solid handle on several utility spells, spirit conjuring, and a fair combat magician to boot.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2009, 01:54:52 AM »
Question: After buying all of my cyber and bioware, and all cyberware being Alpha grade, as well as both weapons, all of the accessories that I need, extra clips (which I guess I can buy more of as well as grenades), and armor (which I could get up to rank six Thermal Dampening on my heavy jumpsuit still), I'll still have hundreds of thousands of nuyen left even after the parenthesized additions.  What else do I need? 

Oh, and I have a Rating 6 credstick for identification purposes as well.
Notes to self

tallan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: October 23, 2009, 02:04:07 AM »
I've ended up with a reasonably stout troll adept, focusing on melee with some utility skills, gear, and transport.
Deep in the tomb of indelible gloom, an angel waits to die.
High on the peak, where only fools seek, a dragon tried to get high.
To which one we go, well f*ck if I know, the point is to question why.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2009, 02:12:58 AM »
@Nanshork:

Have you bought lifestyles? What about a vehicle? It might be worth it to own a car, unless you want to walk everywhere (or take the train, apparently)

Also, a second set of stuff (guns and such) seems like a good investment if you are feeling paranoid. Tell the GM you want it in your second lifestyle area or something.

If you still have extra money, take as many karma points away from it as you can and use them for contacts or attributes or skills. They, as far as I can tell, are better than extra money when the game starts. They'll cost more to get after the game starts than resources will too. (as an aside, how much karma did you spend on resources?)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2009, 02:44:45 AM »
I'm not feeling paranoid.   :P  And the rest of that stuff won't add up to enough.  Looks like I'll be working with more Karma than I thought.
Notes to self

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2009, 02:47:31 AM »
I'd recommend contacts. Now that I've started coming up with personality for the two freebies, I've been wanting to have a Level 2 or 3 one. At the start, I thought that having anything more than 3 level 1s would be overkill.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #178 on: October 23, 2009, 09:05:09 AM »
I'm basically a medic with some decent combat ability if needed.

JaronK

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2009, 09:51:02 AM »
So far as I can tell, I've received emails from three people. Gmail seems to be flagging them as Spam, so I need everyone who's sent me a sheet to drop me a PM, and tell me if you've sent me a sheet or not. Also, please include your email address, so I can add you to a filter and keep you from getting marked as spam.

Also, don't go overboard with personalities for contacts! I have a whole host of NPCs that I have ready for use, and some of you, if you share the same 'kind' of contact (such as a Street Doc) may share a single contact.

Also, sorry for the sparse replies. Work has had me beaten flat the last few days. If you have a question that has not yet been answered, please repost it, and I'll answer it.