Author Topic: Shadowrun??  (Read 26595 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Shadowrun??
« on: October 13, 2009, 03:09:55 AM »
I've never played, but I'd be interested in learning. Would anyone else be willing to play or run a game?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Re: Shadowrun??
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 12:30:27 PM »
I'll play!!!!!!!

Warning, random rambling:
[spoiler]
Be warned, I've never actually played a game but I do understand the game world and have access to whatever edition is run.  Shadowrun instilled a personal fascination with cybernetics when I was a kid and played the Sega game, never liked the SNES one.  The thought of actually getting to play makes me happy in my pants.  Ok, I'm done rambling now.  :p
[/spoiler]
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:14:21 PM »
Weel, the closest I've gotten to the actual Shadowrun universe was a game on the 360 that seemed like counterstrike. You got to buy magic and 'tech' and guns, then have a deathmatch or a capture the flag or whatever with them.

As far as I could tell, it was horrible. And I only played one round.

Like I said, I'd love to play. I guess I could try DMing as well, but we all know how horrible a newbie DM is. Actually, I might not be bad. I'd need someone with an imageshack account so I could upload maps, and I'd have a rough start while I learned the rules and transitioned from DND.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:53:29 PM »
Weel, the closest I've gotten to the actual Shadowrun universe was a game on the 360 that seemed like counterstrike. You got to buy magic and 'tech' and guns, then have a deathmatch or a capture the flag or whatever with them.

As far as I could tell, it was horrible. And I only played one round.

Like I said, I'd love to play. I guess I could try DMing as well, but we all know how horrible a newbie DM is. Actually, I might not be bad. I'd need someone with an imageshack account so I could upload maps, and I'd have a rough start while I learned the rules and transitioned from DND.

Yeah, it was horrible.  I bought it, and am very sad that I did.

I'm fine with you DM'ing if you want to (if you're willing), but we need more players for that.  *crosses fingers*
Notes to self

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:54:57 PM »
I'm waiting for more people, one of which will want to be DM. *crosses fingers*

Oh well. I guess I'll go find a copy of the rules, and buy it, or something.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »
I'm waiting for more people, one of which will want to be DM. *crosses fingers*

Oh well. I guess I'll go find a copy of the rules, and buy it, or something.

We need to figure out what edition we'll be playing for that.

*tries to rummage up a Shadowrun DM*

Edit: Wow, apparently I own three 1E Shadowrun books.  My gaming book collection is so odd.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 09:54:57 PM by Nanshork »
Notes to self

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »

That game had nothing to do with Shadowrun.  Heck, it had dwarfs as non magic, when in Shadowrun they're one of the best mage races (willpower is everything!).

I love Shadowrun and am both DMing a game and playing in a game, but I suck at PbP (every time I try, I always end up disappearing) so I'm not sure it would be good to have me in the game.  I only know 3rd edition, though.  If someone wants to DM, I could give them a fun mission or two to run, but especially in third edition a Shadowrun DM has to know the rules extremely well (and there's a lot of them).  Also, if you run Shadowrun like it's D&D, it doesn't work at all (throwing exactly equivalent enemies at Shadowrunners doesn't make any sense, and Shadowrun's a game where tactics are more important than stats every time).

JaronK

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 12:10:13 AM »
*digs through more Shadowrun threads and tries to drum up more people*
Notes to self

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 04:53:10 AM »
Actually, if I remember correctly, dwarves had one of the higher magic meters. And, they 'drained' magic from enemies and life trees they were standing near.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 06:54:09 AM »
I'm a longtime, avid, Shadowrun player and GM. I might be willing to run a game. However... If I do, I definitely need everyone to forget that god-awful, horrible, ridiculously frightening 360/PC game. That wasn't SR and never happened. :p

I can run 4e or 3e. I'm familiar with both rulesets, and like both. I also own or have access to most books from both editions, so almost anything would be game. On the side of 3e, I have a character creator program that I would insist everyone use - but the system is somewhat more unforgiving and difficult. On the side of 4e, the system is easier to learn for those of you who haven't played before, but I don't know of any character creator... And the starting 4e characters are less powerful on average.

If I do run, I'd have to request that anyone who wants to play needs to be able to post at least daily. Otherwise, it'll just die. I'm sorry, but it's a fact of life - I've seen games without that restriction die on PbP before, and it can happen very, very easily.

However, if someone else steps up and wants to run, I'd be willing to step aside - I love playing just as much, and have more than a few character concepts.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 07:02:54 AM »
I also want to add that I'd strongly urge people not to play a decker/hacker or technomancer. They don't, in general, integrate well with the rest of the game, and for the most part, any characters like that would almost have to be run mostly separately, which makes things difficult.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »
The simple and easy house rule we use in our games (SR3) for computing is that the DM just sets TNs to log in to a system as a standard user of a specific type or admin (traditionally, 6 for a normal user, 8 for a secure user, 10 for a very secure user, 12 for an admin.  TNs go up or down based on how secure it's supposed to be).  The rating of your deck is a complimentary skill to computers, and lowers your TNs by 1 for every two points of rating.  You just make a Computers check, and if you're in you can do anything that type of user is allowed to do normally.  Then you can make a second computers check to erase your trail, and the TNs are reversed (since it's easier to do that if you're already an admin).  Done.

That way you don't actually need a deck to be a hacker, all you need is Computers 6 to have enough to get by.  And you don't need a bunch of special rules to learn.  You can specialize in it if you want, but you don't have to... the Rigger or even the Mage can just have a bit of decking skill and run with it.  It just works so much better, as it drops all that nonsense.

JaronK

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 03:15:57 PM »
Look Generic_PC, I found us people.   :D

I'll play any edition, I can pick up on rules fairly fast.  I'll leave the choosing of an edition to those who actually have some experience.
Notes to self

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 04:33:41 PM »
Woo Nanshork.

I will also withhold judgement on an edition.

Could someone explain the basics of a party?

Also, why the hate for a crappy knock-off? It just isn't a Shadowrun RPG, with way too many mistakes. That's all. I don't see why it's such a big deal.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 05:48:39 PM »
I'll answer the second question first. I hate the video game because it's not Shadowrun, yet they slapped the name on it, tried to pretend it was Shadowrun, and showed who knows how many people a POS game that's nothing like the real SR. It could have stirred interest in the actual SR game. Instead, it made a lot of people think that this is what SR was supposed to be. I'd have felt the same if they'd done it to, say, D&D, or Deadlands. It might be a decent game on it's own - but it should have been called something else. If they want to make a SR game, they need to make an SR game, not a subpar FPS (which it really was) with a brand label slapped on it.

Now for the first question. SR groups are extremely flexible, really - a good thing, since it's classless and everyone can make whatever they want. There's basic roles, really, but no one needs to be constrained to them. Street Samurai are your basic tough guys (no code of honor, usually, despite the name). They're typically the guy with so much cyberware they're nearly a cyborg, often good at close range combat, typically with some melee, though they often favor the big damn honkin' guns, too. You've got your infiltrator, who's the sneaky SOB that God himself couldn't see. Ex-ganger (or maybe not so 'ex') who favors concealable weapons, often has claws, and tends to be flamboyant as all hell. Your 'face' type characters, who are the ones who can negotiate extremely well, tend to have a lot of contacts, and often aren't the best at combat. Then, of course, there's mages and shamans, the primary magic-types in SR. Mages take the 'scientific' approach to magic, while shamans take the naturalistic approach (and often have a mentor spirit). Adepts use magic to enhance their bodies and capabilities, while mages and shamans use actual spells (everything from healing to making things go boom.) There's a lot of other possibilities, too, like snipers, straight out thieves, assassins, whatever. If it might fit into a criminal world, there's a chance it'll work in SR. A good group often has (But it is no way required) a front-line type (like a Street Sam, who can take the attention), a face, a mage of some sort, an infiltrator. But I've seen groups do very, very well missing several of the above types, and be none the worse off for it.

It's also worth noting that in SR, you're often not really a 'party' like you might think of in the D&D sense. You could be an entire group of freelancers, brought together for a job by your employer (Mr Johnson - always Mr Johnson). Or hell, I've even seen groups where everyone's working at cross-purposes.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 10:15:19 PM »
FYI, I want to be a street samurai, I have since I first found this thread.   :D
Notes to self

tallan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 01:17:45 AM »
I am interested in playing if there is room, but I would have to find access to the books.
Deep in the tomb of indelible gloom, an angel waits to die.
High on the peak, where only fools seek, a dragon tried to get high.
To which one we go, well f*ck if I know, the point is to question why.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 01:37:33 AM »
I haven't played SR in a long time. I'm pretty sure it was 2nd Edition, and then again it was pretty much just once. However, I've been looking into finding a game to take it up again. If there's room, I'm interested (possibly a magic role of some sort).

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 01:59:52 AM »
Yay, we have an acceptable amount of interested people!  And Kuroimaken should be popping up soon as well.  Is anyone besides Kari interested in DM'ing or is s/he the only one interested?
Notes to self

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 02:03:31 AM »
I played the SNES game a bunch, and really liked it.  Would I need to have any of the books to join?  Infiltrator type sounds fun to me.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 02:06:44 AM by j0lt »
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist